PDA

View Full Version : crank case cause low compression?

bullet225ho
05-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Hey folks. The step son took the 86 out the other day and came back on a trailer. said it stalled out and and wouldn't start back up. I checked compression and it's in the low 100's. I also noticed that the gasket on the clutch cover side was blown out the top. and when I cranked it oil was dripping on the ground.

Will this gasket cause a low compression number and cause it not to run or could this gasket have killed the engine?

Thanks,

Brandon

86honda250
05-19-2010, 08:31 PM
i am going to bet that your right crank seal went. dont quote me thow.

SilverLake250R
05-19-2010, 09:27 PM
x2. However, that should have no affect on your compression. How long has it been since you rebuilt the top end?

bullet225ho
05-19-2010, 09:34 PM
I actually havent rebuilt it. I bought it last year and the previous owner stated that he had rebored and repistoned the motor recently. the compression was around 160 when I bought it. I fought with this bike for about 6 months trying to get a bog out of the top end. I recently changed to a 38mm carb and I'm hoping that the jetting wasn't too lean. I plugged dumped it and such back in early spring with colder temps and all seemed good with jetting. this happened in 80+ temps wich would seem to make the bike fatter.

This is a rider that the step son usually rides more than I do. however....at 18 they don't give you a ton of info about what happened and when or how. just the typical.....it stalled and wouldn't start....

hard to trouble shoot at that point.