PDA

View Full Version : Medication Question

Brauap
05-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Hello! I am currently 15 years old but when I was eight years old I had cancer. I couldn't swallow pills if my life depended on it (which it had) but I still got the medication in me. Right after I found out I was 100% freed of cancer, I found out I could easily swallow pills.. and a few at a time (No not a druggy, I'm talking about 2-3 allergy or something). I have been taking pills by mouth for years now but within the last few days, I have been having alot of trouble swallowing pills! (I take allergy medicine every day- I get bad migrains) The pills get stuck in my throat and I can't swallow! And ealier today, I took 2 and got stuck in my thoat and I threw up! What do you think could be causing this? I am confused.. I have been fine for years but only recently have I been having problems!

JParisi48
05-19-2010, 06:12 PM
are the pills really dry on the outside?, put water in ur mouth first then the [ill, thats what im doin right now

derekhonda
05-19-2010, 07:15 PM
drop em on a spoonful of yogurt or applesauce.

But yeah, sounds like your mouth is just dry when you put the pills in.

aDviSol2y
05-20-2010, 01:25 PM
What kind of cancer did you have?

My guess its a mental thing.

fastredrider44
05-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Normally I can swallow pills no problem, other times when I'm sick, my throat will just not let me. I swallow pills with milk when possible, or if I know I can't swallow them, I'll put them in Ice cream.:blah:

Brauap
05-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
What kind of cancer did you have?

My guess its a mental thing.

I had Wilms' Tumor (Stage 4 of 5)

rageatvsupermom
05-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Hello! I am currently 15 years old but when I was eight years old I had cancer. I couldn't swallow pills if my life depended on it (which it had) but I still got the medication in me. Right after I found out I was 100% freed of cancer, I found out I could easily swallow pills.. and a few at a time (No not a druggy, I'm talking about 2-3 allergy or something). I have been taking pills by mouth for years now but within the last few days, I have been having alot of trouble swallowing pills! (I take allergy medicine every day- I get bad migrains) The pills get stuck in my throat and I can't swallow! And ealier today, I took 2 and got stuck in my thoat and I threw up! What do you think could be causing this? I am confused.. I have been fine for years but only recently have I been having problems!

My thought would be you have sinus drainage and your throat
is just irrated......take your pills one at a time with some sort of fluid...and if that does not work go to the Dr. Glad to hear you
have beaten your cancer...woooohoooo.

TNT
05-20-2010, 04:43 PM
You may have a minor hiatal hernia, where part of the upper stomach protrudes into the chest into an opening (the diaphragm that separates them) and blocks stomach acid from pushing up food you are trying to swallow….I had it before, it usually comes with age but obesity, smoking, strenuous exercise can cause it. If food becomes more difficut to swallow have the doc check usually by MRI. Mine has since healed. Over the counter acid reducers can keep stomach acids from back flowing up the asophagus making swallowing easier. If not treated internal bleeding can occur.

Glad you beat the cancer too :D

CJM
05-20-2010, 07:01 PM
You could crush them into a glass of water, it does work but tastes nasty.

KXRida
05-21-2010, 10:20 AM
not saying this is the case with you, but 9 times out of 10 it's usually a nervous/anxiety/psychological thing with pills. I used to be the same way. More or less I was scared to put something into my body and would close my throat off when I had to swallow pills. Now I have no issues with them at all. It was like one day I could take pills lol.

destey
05-23-2010, 04:44 PM
I vote mortar and pestle like the old pharmacists used to use. It tastes like *** but more effective as pills don't dissolve in time as often as they should

ATV Chic
05-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Idk what allergy meds you are taking but you shouldn't crush most allergy meds. They are meant to dissolve at a certain rate and it's not a good idea to crush them. You should always swallow liquid before trying to swallow any pill. Just my advice.

(I'm a pharmacy tech and work in a hospital)

Don't crush allergy meds. If they're capsules it depends on what specific drug it is as to whether you can take them apart.

Jake250ex
05-23-2010, 09:17 PM
yea man its all in your head. i remember when i was maybe 7 or so i thought id choke and die, i got a abcess tooth and my parents had to hold me down and poke it down my throat while i squealed.

just gotta have it in your heard your gonna get it down.

fastredrider44
05-23-2010, 10:33 PM
If you can't get a pill down, crush it in a glass of water. I tried eating a big ol gelcap one time, and I puked it right back up. Nastiest taste I've ever experienced.:ermm:

KXRida
05-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by ATV Chic
Idk what allergy meds you are taking but you shouldn't crush most allergy meds. They are meant to dissolve at a certain rate and it's not a good idea to crush them. You should always swallow liquid before trying to swallow any pill. Just my advice.

this is true. Most pills can be crushed but some should not. Most notabley, aspirin, any kind if iron pill, potassium, and most pain meds especially sustained release meds.