PDA

View Full Version : xc setup

bigbad400
05-19-2010, 04:08 PM
anybody ever see a ltr run with 23 inch fronts and 22s in the rear for xc, or gncc? i have a set of kenda klaws in that size bran new and im waiting on an ltr to get here i just got, the setup was great on a 400ex but i hear the ltrs dont have the bottom end power. but i can sprocket down if i need too. just wondering... im excited about having a ltr-450 instead of the old 400ex, i had it modded all to hell and could never be happy with its handling and power. i rode a ltr and loved it, so i had to get one.

Growler
05-20-2010, 06:58 AM
You'll see 23" front and 22" rears in desert racing, but not GNCC or GNCC-type races. Throws the handling off and screws up the low center of gravity that you want for XC racing. Stick w/ 21 or 22" fronts and 20" rears for the best handling.

bigbad400
05-20-2010, 07:55 AM
i cant see why you would need extra clearance in the sand...:huh i use 18 inch rears and 20 inch fronts at the dunes... elaborate will you.

i ride in rocky, rutted, little mud, hills and deep woods were im getting over logs and stuff, very technical woods riding...

im not to concerned about "best" handling, most of my time in the woods is at 20 mph or less, im more wondering about sprockets and what i would have to do to make it feel like a stock gear ratio, with the 22"s i guess. i need bottom end power... whats stock sprockets? and what would u recommend?

like i said im all new to the ltr, i have a z400 and a 400ex.

Baracudaaa
05-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Desert racing is not like sand riding at all, its plowing through rocks, washes, and bushes as fast as you can, if you ran 18" rears you would last 5 minutes.
For GNCC or GP racing, look what tire sizes ALL the pros are running and use them as an example, they have had a lot of time and $$$$ to figure it out and they seem to know the best combos. A 23-22 combo is way to tall.

bigbad400
05-20-2010, 11:40 AM
ok i worded this all wrong.

im putting 23/22 combo on the ltr.

what sprockets should i use to get my gearing back to stock with 22 inch tires?

i dont want to loose any bottom end power putting on 22s in fact i could gain some and not complain.

is there a gearing caculator for the ltr?

ROTTY261
05-20-2010, 04:24 PM
I am not going to question what tires you are putting on your bike, if you want 23s in the front and 22s in the rear, more power to you. To get close to the stock pull you would have on the bottom end go down two in the front if you don't want to mess with your rear sprocket. If you do go donw one in front and up one to two in the rear.