PDA

View Full Version : Put HID's On The 400

Steves400ex
05-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Just thought Id Post A Few Videos... I know a few people were wondering if they should put HIDs on there quad... I Say HELL YEA DO it these things are so brite

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dB73EludDLM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dB73EludDLM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And heres a video I made of us showing off a little

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yPUjnn6CpF8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yPUjnn6CpF8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

wali2408
05-19-2010, 01:52 PM
how much was it for the head lights

Steves400ex
05-19-2010, 02:00 PM
They were 50.00 bucks for the slim balast

riotact
05-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Do you have a link for that kit?That looks sweet and would really light up the woods where I ride.

Thumpin440ex
05-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Yah def post a link. HID ballast are sensitive to being beat and banged around. I am curious to how long they will last... Loooks good

John

ballerchaos
05-19-2010, 11:45 PM
i already have this done, and i find xentec ballast work the best for the price, Last week i beat the hell out of them running trails in the woods for 3 hours straight with out a issue. this also included a puddle that put water into my snorkle and into my air box....OOOOPS lol, they are water proof and viration resistant. Make sure you mount them tight to reduce vibration. you can find them on ebay just type in xentec slim h6m for a 400ex, i ran a wiring harness which makes them run off the battery and not the thin guage stock wires, and you can still use your oem switch. The link to my how to is in my sig, check it out, anyone need help just PM me or post it in my how to. I love my hids and i would suggest any1 who rides at night to go for it.

Steves400ex
05-20-2010, 08:04 AM
I used ebay but called them because I didnt see our type bulb listed and they ended up giving me a better price over the phone...
1-866-857-0005
Ask For The h6m Bulbs, I went with the slim balast and they seem to be holding up to the abuse

But here is the link if you dont feel safe doing it over the phone

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/hid-kit-xenon-conversion-H1-H3-H4-H7-H11-9005-9007-9006-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cacacd40aQQitemZ26059 5045386QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Steves400ex
05-20-2010, 08:07 AM
And just so you know you dont have to run them that way you can run them right off the stock harness... reson being is that they are the same wattage as the stock oem bulbs and actually draw less current. I have mine wired so that low beam is only one HID and High Beam Is Both...

jayman63
05-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by ballerchaos
i already have this done, and i find xentec ballast work the best for the price, Last week i beat the hell out of them running trails in the woods for 3 hours straight with out a issue. this also included a puddle that put water into my snorkle and into my air box....OOOOPS lol, they are water proof and viration resistant. Make sure you mount them tight to reduce vibration. you can find them on ebay just type in xentec slim h6m for a 400ex, i ran a wiring harness which makes them run off the battery and not the thin guage stock wires, and you can still use your oem switch. The link to my how to is in my sig, check it out, anyone need help just PM me or post it in my how to. I love my hids and i would suggest any1 who rides at night to go for it.

Thats crazy, because I got the xentec HIDs for my truck and they didnt even last 2 months before the first ballast went, i was so pissed! I guess maybe i got defective ones or somthing

ballerchaos
05-20-2010, 08:31 AM
nah thats the reason why i run the harness on all my vehicle, i have 6 ballast in my one car, 16 in my truck (gotta love off road lights lol) and most of the sets are used xentec, witha wiring harness, it make sure the draw is equal for both ballast. you have to remember the intial draw is higher until the HID "warm up" an then there draw is actually less. my buddy did a conversion on his 400 ex off the stock wireing and his fuse failed and he burnt up wire out on the trail, so he had to ride home with no headlights. Brand new you can get xentec slims for about 50 bux with a external ignightor. they also have a warranty on them if you buy new so your shot ballast you should be able to send back and have it replaced. I guess its just my personal preference to run a harness to the battery, it garunttes a perfect even draw for both ballast, and i have never had a problem sincei broke them in by letting them stay on for 10 minutes at the very beginning. good luck

jayman63
05-20-2010, 08:34 AM
They were still under warranty and i tried to have them replaced. the seller never answered my emails. oh well, next time i"ll take your advice and they will last longer

ballerchaos
05-20-2010, 08:38 AM
yeah, ebay sucks for that, i Use one guy to buy al my stuff and i am actualy getting sets for about 45 bux shhipped now instead of 50.. wiring harness's are anout 10 -15 bux shipped to, just read the how to it tells you how to modify the harness, and if you want the seller i use just PM me.

mtrombla08
05-20-2010, 10:04 PM
ddmtuning.com has the best deal. 55 bucks will get you any brightness you want with ballast delivered to your door. 400ex takes the h6 bulb. they are also lifetime warrenty. you cant beat that. all my buddies have them and none of us have had any problems.

ballerchaos
05-21-2010, 10:32 AM
i love ddm, they used to be called apexacone which is a great HID conversion company, my buddies jeep runs ddm and he payed about 75 a set, but yeah, can i get the link for the 50dollar sets?

smelly$cat
05-21-2010, 11:38 AM
That "Hi Mom" caption in the wheelie video made me lol! You guys got it down for sure!

mtrombla08
05-21-2010, 08:52 PM
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Apexcone-Raptor-HID-Kit make sure you get the H6 bulbs. thats what the ex takes.

ballerchaos
05-21-2010, 11:49 PM
oh there not even slim ballast, and when you make the complete kit your over what i would pay for the harness and hid kit, i do like the fact that they offer a 55watt kit, which is insane, my buddy has a 55 wat true dual 9007 kit with 4 ballast, and his low beams are like my high beams on steroids and his high beams are done with a relay delte so they stay on makeing the most intence lighting possible, wish i put 55 in my quad lol

dunatic
05-22-2010, 10:37 AM
here are mine. the lil ones on top are Trail Tech HID's that I bought used off eBay for $150, the lowers I purchased from Schucks/Oreilly auto parts store for $89 each.

Lets put it this way.....EVERYONE likes to go riding at night with me.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193082/DSCN1376.JPG

ballerchaos
05-22-2010, 10:44 AM
that is nutz looking, holy crap, i love the smaller ones, i may have to invest and mount them lower on my frame

dunatic
05-22-2010, 10:48 AM
the trail tech HID's are more of a spot light then flood. youll want to mount them as high as you can, otherwise youll never see them hit the ground where you need it.

Steves400ex
05-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by dunatic
here are mine. the lil ones on top are Trail Tech HID's that I bought used off eBay for $150, the lowers I purchased from Schucks/Oreilly auto parts store for $89 each.

SICK!!!!!!!!

dunatic
05-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Schucks/O'Reilly now has the 4 inch versions in stock. Im thinking of them on both my kids Blasters with the same bracket setup.

MtnEX
05-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by dunatic

I have been wondering about those Pilot HID's...

A lot of the anal folks say conversions don't give you what a complete HID pod does because of the light optics or whatever.

So how do those do?

I have been wanting a set and some sort of bar mount setup for my KFX 450R.

I saw them at Autozone at first and thought $129 was too much... then went back to get them and figured out that was EACH and walked...

dunatic
05-29-2010, 04:24 AM
the BIG 7 inch HID's are awesome. HUGE amounts of light everywhere. If they werent Sooooo big, I would have mounted them up higher for even better illumination

MtnEX
05-29-2010, 12:25 PM
OK, thanks...

Glad you said 7" also....
The ones I found for too much were 4".

I'll keep shopping until I can them reasonable.