PDA

View Full Version : Gas leak

tjchris3
05-19-2010, 01:37 PM
So my buddy and I went ridding and we noticed a huge puddle of gas under his quad. The gas was pouring out of a small tit off the bottem back of the carb. There was a broken hose piece on it but we couldnt find what went there. If you plug it, it would run out of the other tubes. THe only way to make it stop was to turn off the petcock. We then just rigger all the hoses around to kinda by-pass it and it runs and quit leaking gas but im sure its not right. Any ideas on what goes there and how the over flow tubes are supposed to be routed? Its and 86' by the way. I can get some pics tonight but i have to leave for work now. Thanks

SilverLake250R
05-19-2010, 01:44 PM
I will bet you that a little piece of crap got in the float valve and is not shutting off. I've had this a number of times before. Take the bowl off and there is a pin that goes through a very small spring that holds the float on. Take it out and the valve will drop out. Flush it out by turning the petcock on with the gas line hooked up when the valve is out. Even a grain of sand will cause this. Good luck!

SilverLake250R
05-19-2010, 01:48 PM
I should add that all the overflow tubes just get routed down behind the engine towards the ground. Normally if you tilt the carb to either side, gas will flow out one of the top tubes, if you tilt it forward or back, it will flow out the one on the bowl.

tjchris3
05-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the quick reply. I guess we will pop the bowl off tonight and check it out.

86 Quad R
05-19-2010, 04:16 PM
a simply lil trick is to drain the carb dry,(with the pet cock off) remove the fuel delivery hose from the petcock side and blow air into it. this will sometimes flush out any trash that may be preventing the float from shutting off.

tjchris3
05-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the quick reply. I guess we will pop the bowl off tonight and check it out.