PDA

View Full Version : Ok, stupid question time. What do Nerfs Do for the rider?

fuddrucker
01-31-2003, 07:11 AM
I mean, are they for protection? To rest your feet on instead of the small foot peg? Just to add good looks to your ride? I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I just want to know because I see just about everyone has them. I think they look great but what is the function of them?

Thanks.:macho

hondaracer31
01-31-2003, 07:16 AM
Nerf bars keep other quads tires out. When your racing sometimes it gets a little "close" and you don't want to get tangled up.
So they do protect the rider by protecting your legs. And they help to keep the quad from flipping from running over another quads tires.
Hope this helps....

fuddrucker
01-31-2003, 07:54 AM
That explaines is perfectly and I can see what you mean about keeping other quads tires out of that area during a race.

Thanks!

Pappy
01-31-2003, 07:57 AM
yep he explained almost perfectly!!!

also....if your foot slips the peg it will be stopped from going under the tire and sucking you off the quad. i broke my leg just below the knee on a LT500 quadracer due to that happening:mad:

fuddrucker
01-31-2003, 08:04 AM
I hear ya! The first thing I ever rode was my buddies 83 Honda 250R ATC. When he was telling me what to do and NOT to do, he kept saying whatever you do, DON"T put your foot down. Well I did of course, (you know how it is, natural reaction) and the rear wheel grabbed the back of my calf real good. Glad I had jeans on or it would have scraped my leg up real good. Of course I still did it a couple more times.

Stevie-D
01-31-2003, 08:37 AM
lol...i dont think they will help me...:p
i slipped off of my trailboss(has full floorboards) and ran my leg over, hurt like heck. but ya, the nerfs should keep ya on there

660bigdaddy
01-31-2003, 09:56 AM
they don't do nothing when the other quad is tipped up above your nerfs. i love mine except for when this happened. they also help getting you through the tight stuff. if you can get the front through the nerfs help guide the rear tires through. jmo

Str8Wicked
01-31-2003, 10:10 AM
I am a pretty new rider as well.. Maybe like 2 years... My father lent my uncle his 3 wheelin 250R when we were younger and told him the same.. Do not put your foot down what ever you do. of coarse he did and riped his knee when the tire grabbed and pulled his leg under. When I started riding I had this happen a few times where I almost put my foot down. Than while riding int he dunes I almost flipped and put my foot down from reaction. Luckily it just skinned my leg and left a nasty burn.. When I got back from riding that weekend and went and ordered mys et of nerfs...

Plus they look pretty trick

250exen
01-31-2003, 11:32 AM
pretty much what everone else said but you get a bonus!! when you are just crusin down the open trails..... you got yourself a nice foot rest. they let you streach out your legs:D :square :devil

Fluid400
01-31-2003, 02:45 PM
nice cast. going riding tomorrow

Str8Wicked
01-31-2003, 06:34 PM
pretty much what everone else said but you get a bonus!! when you are just crusin down the open trails..... you got yourself a nice foot rest. they let you streach out your legs

Yeah I forgot to mention that one. They do become very comfortable when your cruizin around....

Jekyl_22
02-02-2003, 01:48 PM
I have occasionally sliped my foot between the nerf bars and the tire and had my leg munched a few times times. I have done it when I was and wasn't wearing my riding boots. The worst time was when I was going up a little hillclimb behind my house and I didn't make it. I went to hit the rear brake to stop, but my foot somehow missed and slipped between the back of the nerf bars and the tire. So I couldn't use my rear brakes and I was sliding down this hill backwards trying to get my foot un-caught while I had the front breaks locked up (didn't even help). I was lucky that I finally got my foot out after a few seconds just before I hit a tree going backwards. The rear brake slowed me down quite a bit.....It freaked me out though:confused2 :ermm:

Brad
02-02-2003, 04:47 PM
i did that once the front breaks really dont work that well when going backwards with enough momentum

wgbanks
02-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Last W/E out riding seeing how much air an old guy could get and the stock L/H heel guard let go when I landed. Left foot came off peg and went under the the tire pulled me off and caused considerable swearing. Got home that night and order AC Pro Pegs w/ heel guards. They are going on as soon as the get here.:mad:

BigThumper33
02-08-2003, 08:14 PM
I find that cruising through the camp or the pits its nice to kick your feet up on the front of the nerfs lol.

Anyway I have to suggest getting them. I was practicing at a track and my foot slipped off the peg. The tire grabbed my ankle and forced my shin into the peg. It went through down to the bone and I now have a 7 inch V shaped scar. Ladies love it though!