PDA

View Full Version : tire shine----BAD

BigDog400ex
01-27-2003, 05:55 PM
i jhust wanted to throw out a warning to you guys not to use that tire shine stuff. iy dry rotts tires bigtime! It did it to my mom's' 300ex and it did it a 2 week old set of 28inch good year allterrains for my truck. armor all is the morst heard it's bad for brake lines too.:devil :devil :devil :devil maybe i'll post a pick tommorow

01-27-2003, 07:25 PM
i been using armor all forever no problems, i mostly use it on plastic , wd 40 for everything else

Syrus
01-27-2003, 07:32 PM
i used it, no problems with my tires sofar.. but i sold it so no more worries about that bike :D

Pappy
01-27-2003, 07:41 PM
:o

BrianWrightR6
01-28-2003, 02:31 AM
The greaser the better, I have never had that problem and have always greased mine up!

UglyMotha™
01-28-2003, 07:07 AM
armor all rots your tires:huh that's definantly a new one on me, i've been using that stuff on all my tires for decades and have yet to see one dry rot maybe you should quit drinking it :huh

exriderdude
01-28-2003, 07:22 AM
i use armor all stuff on my tires and i havent had a problem:confused:

ryewith
01-28-2003, 07:24 AM
I use a combination of Liquid Luster (spray wax) and a cheaper generic form of armorall on my plastics. On everything else I spray WD40. I use an oil based tire dressing. Armorall is water based I believe. All the stuff I use is generic but it works the same. I work at a detail shop on the weekends so all of my bike washing needs are taken care of.:o

DrAgOn 418
01-28-2003, 07:26 AM
armor all is bad for brake lines? Who armor alls his brake lines?

Zingnut
01-28-2003, 08:37 AM
Little trick I do to make it cheaper and last longer is I use the real thick clear stuff not sure who makes it. I think its extreme tire shine or something. I mix it 50/50 with baby oil and it really makes her shine and last a long time. Plus it repels water and mud like nuthing I have ever used. I soak the whole bike nothing not sparyed and have had no bad things to say about it. Plus if you buy the chaep walmart oil it like half the price and twice as much (baby oil that is).

BigDog400ex
01-28-2003, 02:57 PM
here is apick of my truck tires and incase your wondering no the inside is not cracked. it's not real bad if you drive your stuff but my truck sitts a good bit no licencse anymore

SGA
01-31-2003, 06:39 AM
Thats a new one on me. Ive never seen armor all rot tires. Tires rot/crack from sitting a long time not being used. Those tires have been sitting in the warehouse a LONG time to do that. Time to head back to the tire store for a new set for free. I would not trust those tires to drive on.

Predator36
01-31-2003, 07:43 AM
I have used it on tires since 1989 and never had a problem, however I will never dispute facts - I just have my hair turn gray trying to understand the facts. Why does it hurt your tires and not mine??

Pappy
01-31-2003, 07:53 AM
if it's dry rotting yer tires...YOUR NOT RIDING ENOUGH!!!!:macho i wear out or destroy a set of tires twice a year.....unless they start putting battery acid in amorall i dont see a problem:blah

Str8Wicked
01-31-2003, 08:58 AM
I've used all kinds of different tire shines and none have ever rotted the tire. You might want to check if your using a degreaser rto clean them with or a rim cleaner that may be getting on to the tire. Those are powerful enough to eat through a tire if you let sit. But it would eat the finish on the rim as well.

Stevie-D
01-31-2003, 04:30 PM
that does it! im gonna throw away my armor all and shine up my tires with some good ol' sodium chloride!:rolleyes:

RytM1
01-31-2003, 05:27 PM
I heard a similar thing a couple years back. It had someting to do with the products that contained petroleum distillates. I used to use "no touch" on my car tires, and wouldn't wipe the overspray off the wheels. Over the next couple of years, the clearcoat on the wheels started to discolor and peel (maybe it was just a freak coincidence). The Armor All thing I heard is that when it is used on a dashboard for example, that is exposed to intensifed UV Rays, it will eventually dry the dash vinyl out, and make it more prone to craking. I don't know how true this is, but I have heard this a few times.

MeatHead
02-01-2003, 08:58 PM
I have heard the same thing. But I have always heard that it takes YEARS to cause damage to vinyls. I have never heard of armour all damaging anything this quickly. But I do lots of work for a vinyl manufacturer, and the chemists there say that it has more to do with the stabilizers, and plasticiser that are used in the manufacturing process. The more expensive ingredients tend to hold up better than the cheap ones. That is why some people have never had a problem with it and others have. So if you are unlucky enough to have a set of tires that had cheap ingredients used that would cause them to get damaged this quickly, I would take them back ASAP.

"BLAHH"300!!
02-02-2003, 01:57 PM
anything that is oil based, will collect dust like a magnet.
(i didn't read all the postes, so someone may alredy have told you this.)

anything that is oil based, will collect dust like a magnet!!
it'll look GREAT when you put it on, but ride it from the water hose to the shop and you gota wipe off alot of dust again.

here's what you do.
--go buy a jug of "WISK" -liquid- lundry detergent. not the powder.
--then get an empty spray bottle,
fill it 1 part wisk, and 2 parts water (sometimes i use more, or less)

shake it up, and spray it down. wet the bike first with water if you want.
sprat everything real good, starting with the dirtiest parts first. (swingarm, rear shock, engine.) by the time you get to the rims, plastic the swingarm should be ready to rinse.
i usually wet it, wisk it, wipe it, and wrinse it.
after i'm done, i go back over everything with windex.
(you can use polmolive dish-washing liquid and water..same thing as windex. any dishwashing liquid will work.)
i'll find an old sock, soak that with the wisk solution, and stick my hand in it, like a rag.

do this once, then next time, do it with your armor all stuff and you'll see a differance....

oil is for the engine, not the body

zoom400ex
02-15-2003, 12:44 PM
yaa...ummmmmmmmmmm armor all defianatly doesnt hurt the tires..................cough! cough!! CRACKHEAD.

250rpilot
02-15-2003, 02:12 PM
i use pledge furniture polish on my plastics, wd-40 everywhere else.

make sure they did not sell you the "blems" from that batch of tire. i can get blems from my tire shop, at a discounted rate, but they wont warranty them. (but i get them like 1/2 price so what do i care) also, do you hit curbs alot with those tires??? like scraping them trying to park?

Ramin
02-15-2003, 05:45 PM
If you're worried about your tires drying out, try using some lotion on them. No joke! If you keep your tires looking good with some cleaning product, that's great! But about once a month, depending on how much you ride, maybe more, clean your tires off really good with soapy water. Let them dry, then go grab your wive's best natual hand lotion without any stinky stuff in it. Rub it into your tires till they're nice and moisturzied! Added perfumes aren't good. If you're not sure about a certain kind of lotion, rub it down where the sun don't shine. If it starts to burn, don't use it!

300exracer
02-17-2003, 05:47 PM
Will regular amorall hert your plastic? Just wondering cuase that is what I use.:confused:

roostu
02-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Ramin
If you're worried about your tires drying out, try using some lotion on them. No joke! If you keep your tires looking good with some cleaning product, that's great! But about once a month, depending on how much you ride, maybe more, clean your tires off really good with soapy water. Let them dry, then go grab your wive's best natual hand lotion without any stinky stuff in it. Rub it into your tires till they're nice and moisturzied! Added perfumes aren't good. If you're not sure about a certain kind of lotion, rub it down where the sun don't shine. If it starts to burn, don't use it!

LOL, Never herd of that but hey.....

I live in a desert so if the tires arnt dry as a bone dust sticks to them like white on rice.
I use a soft brush to clean the tires with water, when they dry they look liek new rubber.

~Roost-U

250x#93
02-22-2003, 01:22 PM
Pappy, that white 400 is sweet whos is it???:eek2: