PDA

View Full Version : oil in airbox

lars255
05-18-2010, 05:20 PM
i just installed a cherry bomb and a yoshimura pipe, raced this past sunday and know i noticed oil in the bottom of my airbox. not a little but quite a bit. never happened before. anyone know what causes this? thanks.

atveric132
05-18-2010, 06:41 PM
sounds like a broken ring or something along those lines.....the oil is gettin pushed into the air-box from the over-flow tube that runs into the box

bigbad400
05-19-2010, 06:43 AM
sounds like you could have a plugged air filter causing it to starve for air, leaving it to pull it from the last place possible. the crankcase breather

FITT#421f
09-12-2010, 11:43 AM
I had the same thing on my ltr and it was my cylinder and rings,if u catch it soon enough you might be able to get away with just putting rings in, make sure ur air filter has grease around where it sits on the airbox cause if you are sucking in any dirt it will just keep going through top ends

Jim417mx
09-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by FITT#421f
I had the same thing on my ltr and it was my cylinder and rings,if u catch it soon enough you might be able to get away with just putting rings in, make sure ur air filter has grease around where it sits on the airbox cause if you are sucking in any dirt it will just keep going through top ends

also had the same problem.. turned out to be the nikasil wore off my cylinder and then later the next day I broke a ring because it got caught on the nikasil. oil was in my airbox.

swifty
09-19-2010, 10:45 PM
wouldnt this happen if he put to much oil in it. if he did the oil would come out of the breather tube ontop of the head and end up in the airbox that is exactly what happened to my trx when my buddy added to much oil to the motor i drained my oil and filled it to the proper level and it never happened again i would start there before taking the motor apart.

Jim417mx
09-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by swifty
wouldnt this happen if he put to much oil in it. if he did the oil would come out of the breather tube ontop of the head and end up in the airbox that is exactly what happened to my trx when my buddy added to much oil to the motor i drained my oil and filled it to the proper level and it never happened again i would start there before taking the motor apart.

very true... i forgot some people lack common sense and forget the easy things :cool:

*proper way to check oil FROM THE MANUAL is start the quad and let idle for 3 minutes --- shut quad off --- let sit for 3 minutes --- THEN check the oil level from the oil tank. *