PDA

View Full Version : lock brakes up or easy in corners?

buck440
05-18-2010, 02:27 PM
what slows you best on a bike going in a corner, locking the rear brake up or just enough before it locks up?

muddy400EX
05-18-2010, 02:29 PM
if you lock them you can slide a little into the corner, which will slow you a little more from the sideways momentum

i think:ermm:

buck440
05-18-2010, 04:02 PM
i'm talking about woods riding, not big bank mx corners:) i guess this question can go for quads too.

fastredrider44
05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
On a bike in the woods, I try not to ever lock the brakes, unless I'm playing. On a quad, I only lock the rear brakes when I'm about to miss a turn.

05-18-2010, 07:32 PM
I use my front like 95% of the time and the rear 5%. Like mentioned if I'm coming in hot and I need to slide it around stomp it and pin it to win it or if I am slowing going down a steep incline I use the back brake more to keep weight more distributed. I did a test before rear brake vs front brake vs both used. Using both slowed the quad down fastest but maybe only 7ft shorter than just using the front brake.

jjv101
05-18-2010, 08:00 PM
im curious as to the different ways people take corners on the mx track and what works best for them lol

slightlybent47
05-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Track surface has a lot to do with weather or not to lock it up. also it depends on if I’m on the inside or the out side of the corner. If I go inside and need to do a hear pin turn, I’ll slide the rear in the last few feet then when the rear starts to come around then pin it and finish the turn with the throttle. If I go outside and it’s a high bank then I’ll use the front breaks a lot more. This helps if there are breaking bumps going in a corner, by pulling the clutch in and letting the rear coast in while I dig hard on the front breaks, that helps keep the rear from bouncing on the breakers going in.

Deferent techniques for deferent circumstances.

KXRida
05-18-2010, 10:05 PM
If you have a bank or a rut use it to your advantage. Sliding through a banked or rutted corner defeats the purpose. Get your braking done and use the lines to keep your speed up. If it's a flat corner a brake slide is almost always needed. A good brake slide works great for squaring up corners too. Remember smoother is faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ63A_8R1wo

http://www.youtube.com/user/KXRida#p/a/u/1/1o-I7Kz3_t0

find yourself a nice little turn track like so as well and run it both ways.

250x_kyle
05-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
I use my front like 95% of the time and the rear 5%. Like mentioned if I'm coming in hot and I need to slide it around stomp it and pin it to win it or if I am slowing going down a steep incline I use the back brake more to keep weight more distributed. I did a test before rear brake vs front brake vs both used. Using both slowed the quad down fastest but maybe only 7ft shorter than just using the front brake.

if you use your front breaks that much in the woods on a turn with a bike ur gunna be picking yourself up alot.

Robin Hood
05-18-2010, 11:59 PM
In the woods I use the front brake more and in open sections I'll use the rear.

ZBlaster
05-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Robin Hood
In the woods I use the front brake more and in open sections I'll use the rear.

What he said.

Or just be like me and don't use brakes... however I'm not responsible for broken bones :p

416exfreak
05-19-2010, 08:32 AM
I guess I just have a different style than most folks..

I use my rears probably 65% of the time and fronts maybe 35%.

I always lock the rear and slide the *** end into the corner, then pin it and kinda tweak the fronts to get the quad pointed where I want it.

The rear end squats down low, bites and forward I move. At a quick rate:devil:

Aarons 01 400EX
05-19-2010, 08:46 AM
I don't use my brakes unless it is an emergency. My 300 barely has enough power to get out of its own way. lol

ATVMX33
05-19-2010, 09:29 AM
On my quad on a mx track I lock up all four wheels and on my bike alot of times my rear locks up

jesseweaver
05-19-2010, 11:45 AM
X2 what kxrida said on rutted turns. do your braking before the turn and set the bike in and power through it, drag the front brakes a little bit that helps keep the front end in the ruts.

on bowl turns on a bike i usually brake hard with the front and rear before the turn and lock up the back for a split second to swing the back outthen try to get on the gas hard and let go of the front brake and keep the back end swinging out the whole way around.

going into flat turns i try to brake just hard enough with the front and rear so that they both barely dont lock up. i takes a lot of practice to find that point and it can be punishing on a bike cause 95% of the time when braking hard with the front if it locks up your going for a ride

KXRida
05-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by ATVMX33
On my quad on a mx track I lock up all four wheels and on my bike alot of times my rear locks up

locking up the rear with the exception of a brake slide is useless. When you lock the rear wheel up you lose any brake effect of the rear wheel. Find that threshold right where it wants to lock up.

krt400ex
05-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
if you use your front breaks that much in the woods on a turn with a bike ur gunna be picking yourself up alot.

not true. you brake before the turn and accelerate out of it. gotta know how to ride a bike and you wont end up on your arse

destey
05-22-2010, 06:53 AM
woods rider here. I think i must be an oddity, i use my brakes based on wear factor. I use mostly rears when I go down some pretty steep stuff, then when I'm not on steep stuff I use fronts to even out the wear. I figure 2 brakes in the front is roughly half the strain on each brake and thus half the wear.

I figure its like bicycles where you use the front to slow down in non emergencies because if you hit them in emergencies you'll be going over the handlebars. If I use the fronts when coming in hard, inside wheel comes up. Probably longer a-arms would help but no money for upgrades.

Muzzgit
05-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Woods riding or dunes, front brakes almost all the time except when I'm having a HOLY CRAP moment :eek2:

I find if I use the front brakes to get the quad sideways I slow down quicker plus I can set myself up for a power slide. On gravell I can get the quad sideways and slow down without brakes at all.

If there is a berm or a bank its heapes better to rail it and nail it.

250x_kyle
05-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
not true. you brake before the turn and accelerate out of it. gotta know how to ride a bike and you wont end up on your arse

i guess i just dont like fronts. ive always taped the back into the turn and powered out.

Warnerade
06-03-2010, 10:17 AM
lock rears and drag fronts

rbgnwa45
06-03-2010, 11:36 AM
On a dirtbike, not in the mud, I use the rear for left turns and the front for right turns so I can keep my leg out. I've never felt comfortable locking the rear while standing and turning right. Not going fast I use both, about 75 rear/25 front. Front discs scare me.

06-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Its almost always about the front brakes if you wanna go fast on an mx track, at least for me it is.