PDA

View Full Version : ebay why bid early?

DnB_racing
05-18-2010, 11:38 AM
im wondering why people keep constantly bidding on items that they want? instead they should be waiting till the end and bid, it avoids bidding wars and keeps the price down. Im sure the sellers love bidding wars and i dont know why anyone would get caught up in that type of bidding??dont bid early and often, bid once and win

Scro
05-18-2010, 11:42 AM
If I see something on ebay I want, I put in the price that I'm willing to pay for it. If someone else bids on it, it automatically puts in a bid for me $1.00 above what the last person bid, up until my set my price.

If I get it, great. If I don't, it was above what I wanted to pay.

derekhonda
05-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Yup, kinda two ways to look at it, and some people don't have the time to sit there and watch it for 4 days and 14 hours. I used to have that strategy, then i kept forgetting to go back and actually bid!

Now if I catch something I want, I just bid what it is worth to me. If I get it, great. If not, there will be another one.

DnB_racing
05-18-2010, 11:48 AM
I wait till the auction is almost over, like 7 seconds left put the price that Im willing to pay, most of the time win the item for much cheaper then the amount that i entered. their is a program called auction sniper that bid with 5 seconds left for you,that way you set it and forget it

fastredrider44
05-18-2010, 12:10 PM
I use to wait til the last second, but it wasn't worth it. Now I bid whenever I see it about 3 dollars more than I think it's worth, and leave it. Bid wars will actually make you pay more than you originally wanted to. I use Buy It Now a lot too.

honda400ex2003
05-18-2010, 02:20 PM
buy it now lol. i try not to wait around for something i want, if i want to get it ill just buy it now, the shipping is usually long enough of a wait. steve

Thumpin440ex
05-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Bidding early is pointless, all it does it gets other peoples attention, raises the bid.. I wait till the last 10 or so seconds, put my max bid in.. I do very well winning items I want like that..

John

flyboy1294
05-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I am discouraged by seeing a bid on an item. And I feel others think the same way. So when I see something I sort of want, I go ahead and put my max bid on it.

It works well. Got a 40mm FCR for $128. Identical ones sell for $250. :D

chucked
05-18-2010, 03:11 PM
The logic isnt exactly the best for eBay... For it to make sense it needs to not have an end time... You never see a live auction end with a time limit, just when people stop bidding.

quad2xtreme
05-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by chucked
The logic isnt exactly the best for eBay... For it to make sense it needs to not have an end time... You never see a live auction end with a time limit, just when people stop bidding.

X2. To me if a bid comes in then the time should be extended by 10 minutes.

I bid what I am willing to pay and either win the item or not. For the most part, I only do the Buy It Now option.

chucked
05-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
X2. To me if a bid comes in then the time should be extended by 10 minutes.

I bid what I am willing to pay and either win the item or not. For the most part, I only do the Buy It Now option.

There used to be a site that did that, ubid.com or something

mineralgrey01gt
05-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Scro
If I see something on ebay I want, I put in the price that I'm willing to pay for it. If someone else bids on it, it automatically puts in a bid for me $1.00 above what the last person bid, up until my set my price.

If I get it, great. If I don't, it was above what I wanted to pay.

thats exactly what i do, 75% of the time ill lose but ill usually find the same item cheaper in another auction

Kickstarts-suck
05-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Im a bid sniper. I wait till last second to get it as cheap as I can.

When I sell things I love bidding wars though :p

CJM
05-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
Im a bid sniper. I wait till last second to get it as cheap as I can.

When I sell things I love bidding wars though :p

Thats how I do it. I wait till like 10 seconds left and enter my max bid and if I win great, otherwise it was to much.

Tommy Warren
05-18-2010, 10:10 PM
when you put in your max bid at the last second does it sell for your max bid or for just a dollar over the last bid? I've always wondered

Scro
05-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
when you put in your max bid at the last second does it sell for your max bid or for just a dollar over the last bid? I've always wondered

$1 over the last bid, or the highest bid that someone else has put in. Say the current price is $32, and someone else has put in their max bid as $46. If you were to put in your max bid of $56, the current bid would change to $47.