PDA

View Full Version : Little help please

deepcj7
01-30-2003, 11:06 PM
Is the 400EX stock header made of stainless steel or just regular steel? If it's stainless I want to polish it, I'm going to have alot of free time on my hands next month, this will keep me busy. Thanks for your help.:)

RIDER11X
01-30-2003, 11:45 PM
The stocker is stainless. Mine has that blue and broze color to it , and i had no luck in polishing it. let me know how it turns out for you.:cool:

01-31-2003, 12:04 AM
You can polish them and it can come out pretty good, but its just gonna turn ugly brown again after a few rides.

The pic below was after 2 or 3 rides and it was almost looking as good as the chrome ehat shield when first finished.

RIDER11X
01-31-2003, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 440EX4me
You can polish them and it can come out pretty good, but its just gonna turn ugly brown again after a few rides.

The pic below was after 2 or 3 rides and it was almost looking as good as the chrome ehat shield when first finished. [/QUOTE

How did you polish that? It looks awesome! :cool:

PHIL_B54
01-31-2003, 08:49 AM
i just polished mine, then i went to walmart and got clear high temp engine paint (clearcoat) im on my second coat right now, i was hoping that it will slow the oxidation/discoloring it really gives it a gloss

i was also thinking of doing the same thing to my new R4 i just received, i am working on polishing it and i was wondering what it would do to clearcoat it? it dont think it would hurt would it.
im taking pic before/after, and after i ride it for a while for a compairison ill post them when i get it all done(Feb 20th or so)

01-31-2003, 09:58 PM
How did you polish that? It looks awesome!

This one was pretty bad so had to start with #120 sander (dremmel type barrel sander) then worked it from 400 to 800 to 1500 and then polished it with a med compound and final with meguires al polish.

It was a very time consuming pain in the butt, and since it doesnt last long it prob wount get done again.

just polished mine, then i went to walmart and got clear high temp engine paint (clearcoat) im on my second coat right now, i was hoping that it will slow the oxidation/discoloring it really gives it a gloss

Let us know how it lasts. Never thought of the high temp stuff but if it keeps it looking good longer then whynot.