PDA

View Full Version : yfz shock in rear

jshtex
05-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Anyone ever try to put a yfz450 front shock in the rear of their 250ex. I have several stock yfz shocks hanging around that I could use and the banshee shocks I see on ebay are pretty expensive.

Baileygunns
05-17-2010, 09:31 PM
If you have some laying around, give it a shot and let us know... If I remember correctly the YFZ shock is an upgrade for the Banshee... Unless the reservoir gets in the way there should be no reason it won't fit. Then you have adjustable dampening too...

jshtex
05-18-2010, 07:39 PM
After I posted that I did a little research on sites like bansheehq etc. Apparently they are not bolt up on a banshee either. They are longer and bigger (rounder). You have to cut the shock mounts on stock a-arms on a banshee to run them. Seems like a lot of folks are into putting the entire front end from a yfz on their banshee.

But like you said, I have at least two and when I get the time I will try it. If it works out I will let everyone know.

On another note I asked my daughter tonight if the back end was too stiff for her and she replied "I don't pay attention to that", so maybe I am just wasting my time.:rolleyes:

Baileygunns
05-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Would she know any better? I wouldn't call it a waste of time. I had no idea what "real" suspension was for a loooong time. I'm 30 now and still learning. The 250EX I'm building is for my wife so I figure the more plush the ride the longer she will last on the trails... Which equates into the longer I can ride. lol!!

If it works it would be nicer than the Banshee shock because of the 3 way adjustability...

If you wanted to send me one of those shocks I would be more than happy to take the time to test fit it and report back with my findings.. *wink*wink*

If I'm not mistaken the Raptor and the Banshee use the same stock shock. Using the YFZ shocks on a Raptor you had to grind very little off the bottom eye to fit it into the lower arm shock mount. The other option was to cut a hole in the arm to clear the eye... I also want to say the Banshee front shock is a little shorter than the stock EX rear shock. Maybe the YFZ is the same as the EX... Also you can set the sag with the spring and control the movement with the dampening... This could compensate for the shock being longer.

jocolo
05-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Get LTZ250 shocks they are a bit better specially out front

jshtex
05-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
Would she know any better? I wouldn't call it a waste of time. I had no idea what "real" suspension was for a loooong time. I'm 30 now and still learning. The 250EX I'm building is for my wife so I figure the more plush the ride the longer she will last on the trails... Which equates into the longer I can ride. lol!!

If it works it would be nicer than the Banshee shock because of the 3 way adjustability...

If you wanted to send me one of those shocks I would be more than happy to take the time to test fit it and report back with my findings.. *wink*wink*

If I'm not mistaken the Raptor and the Banshee use the same stock shock. Using the YFZ shocks on a Raptor you had to grind very little off the bottom eye to fit it into the lower arm shock mount. The other option was to cut a hole in the arm to clear the eye... I also want to say the Banshee front shock is a little shorter than the stock EX rear shock. Maybe the YFZ is the same as the EX... Also you can set the sag with the spring and control the movement with the dampening... This could compensate for the shock being longer.

Well I was in the shop tonight getting the quads ready for a race this weekend and I dug out a pair of yfz shocks. They seem to be about the same length just eyeballing it. But it looks like mounting them would require either modifying the air box or moving the battery to clear the reservoir. I am not really wanting to do either of those.

So, what would you think would be the outcome if I mounted the shock upside down? There would be plenty of room for the reservoir then. Since the shock is pressurized would it make a difference?

Oh, and I didn't really mean it would be a waist of time. Just thought it was funny that she had no idea if the rear shock was stiff. She has been riding quads for a few years but just started racing XC this year. I was pretty stoked that she made an entire one hour race right off he bat.

Baileygunns
05-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Pretty sure you can't flip a shock because of the valving...

Oh well.. It was worth a look! Thanks for the info.

jshtex
05-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
Pretty sure you can't flip a shock because of the valving...

Oh well.. It was worth a look! Thanks for the info.

I have been snooping around and it sounds like mounting them upside down "might" be ok. Google is a dangerous thing.

I have several so I am not worried about the long term life of the shock so I think I will go ahead and try it when I get some time. Who knows maybe it will turn out to be worth it. I will get my boy to ride it over some whoops this weekend to get an educated opinion of the rear end and then let him ride it again afterwards when i get it done.

I will let you know. It would be nice to have the extra (even limited) adjustments the stock yfz shock has over the shee shock.

jshtex
06-12-2010, 02:19 PM
***UPDATE***

The YFZ Shock will not work upside down either without some major fab work to the swingarm. The cross brace on the swingarm is in the way of the resivore if you mount it one way and the other the resivore hits the rear axle.

So you can't use it right side up or upside down without some major fab work.

I am looking at other possible doners now.

jshtex
07-03-2010, 08:33 PM
I went ahead and installed a banshee front shock on the back today. Seems pretty plush but no ride time yet. It does sit a little lower but I don't anticipate any problems with that.

QuadCobbler
08-11-2010, 02:28 PM
My wife is the same way with her 250 I ask if it rides rough, she says no, it fine. I can only last about 30 minutes on that thing and its beating me to death. I have a couple old Z400 front shocks might try those in the future.