PDA

View Full Version : 400ex front hubs, new bearings, now stiff on spindle

derekhonda
05-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Basically just like in the title, I put all new bearings the machine. Put the hubs on the spindle (without the castle nut on), small flick of the wrist, hub spins 5 or 6 revolutions easy. However, I put the castle nut on the spindle hand tight, hub wont even turn one revolution.

So my question, when you do new hub bearings, do you just put that castle nut on just barely tight enough and then cotter pin it and hope for the best? I'm beginning to think thats the only way to do it, atleast until everything loosens up!

John Noftsinger
05-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Sounds like bearings not in hub far anuff,did freeze bearing before install?if not you probably didn,t seat bearing in anuff? just a suggestion!

derekhonda
05-17-2010, 07:55 PM
didn't freeze, but im 99% sure they are in there far enough. The spacers that fit through the dust seal line up even with the edge of the hub on both sides, are they supposed to be recessed in there? There is not any play or gaps between the spacers, bearings, or spindle taper from what I can tell.

John Noftsinger
05-17-2010, 08:45 PM
they need to go far enuff to fit dust covers on they tap in and cover dust from get on bearing.