PDA

View Full Version : quick question for the 450 gods

05 450R in pa
05-17-2010, 06:01 PM
i recently bought an 05 450 r and would like to change the motor oil and tranny fluid but am a little leery....i have cases of LUCAS MOTORCYCLE 5w-30 synthetic and i have some LUCAS ATV 10w-40 semi synthetic but was unsure if it would be safe in my tranny? both oils are JASO MA certified ...can i run these and if so which 1 and where cuz im a little unclear on what can and cant go in tranny...if neither of these will work ill go to rotella T in both sides just trying to save money cause i plan on changing fluids regularly and i get the lucas for the price of shipping..

DnB_racing
05-17-2010, 06:07 PM
if you can get oil for the price of shipping then definitely use it, those are both fine in tranny and crank case

05 450R in pa
05-17-2010, 06:19 PM
thanks for the quick response...i asked because iv heard u cant run synthetic oil in the tranny due to it will make the clutches slip so i figured i couldnt run the synthetic in anything except motor and i wasnt sure if the semi would be alrite in tranny or not...i get it for shipping because i ran the lucas oil pulling circuit and got to know the right ppl so i get it for shipping when i want it or when cases get damaged

DnB_racing
05-17-2010, 06:27 PM
I use klotz and that a synthetic with no issues, If its shipping only then go for it just use the closest oil weight for the season and temps, you'll have no issues

Shipman93
05-18-2010, 08:17 PM
I do not recomend using a synthetic in the tranny side. However soem people do do it. It does make the clutches wear twice as quick. I race MX, TT, and XC and would not use it in any of my quads tranny. That being said I do run it in the motor side all the time. You can use it if you want but I have never gotten more than two or 3 races out of a clutch using a synthetic in the tranny.

Pacheco_450r
05-18-2010, 09:34 PM
I've heard both sides about running synthetic oil in the tranny side and how it can wear a clutch fast. I found this article from amsoil about it, and from what they say it makes sense that it's safe to run synthetic in the tranny. http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/amsoil_synthetics_slipperiness_and_wet_clutches.ht m

I think I'm going to try it out next time I change the tranny side. Ive been running synthetic in the motor side since i bought my 05.

CRE Performance
05-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Being synthetic is not the problem. Containing Moly is the problem. Synthetic will not mess your clutch up, but being a bit more resistant to heat may even make it last longer. Most automotive oils contain moly, and thats why they say you shouldnt use them.

05 450R in pa
05-21-2010, 05:07 PM
i just changed both sides put the synthetic in the motor and the semi synthetic in the tranny and it doesnt seem to have affected it yet...and on the moly subject as far as i know it is a moly free oil or atleast id think cause it doesnt mention moly on the bottle and it says its safe for wet and dry sumps its an auctual ATV rated oil i didnt cheap out and run automotive grade oil...i guess worse case scenario ill be buyong a new clutch