PDA

View Full Version : CT310 kit vs ESR310

tsaun987
05-17-2010, 04:26 PM
What are the differences?

CT racing has : CT ported Pro-X cylinder kit, forged piston kit, top-end gasket set, Delta V-Force reed cage, Keihin 38mm PWK carb with cable, and CT midrange "National" pipe and silencer.
$1450

ESR has: Cylinder, porting, piston kit, billet head plus dome, base gaskets, head o-rings, reed block gaskets, and billet water neck fitting.

I can get the exhaust and carb from ESR with the 310 kit for about $1298
I believe.

Other than price, what would you guys go with? I dont race, just looking for a little more power out of my 250r. What about ESR's and CT's 330 kits? Is it really worth it for the price increase? What about reliability? 310vs330?
Also, thinking of trx9 porting
thanks,
tyler

250rPRIDE
05-17-2010, 04:49 PM
i think ct. has better porting.. but everyone says dont get porting done by the big guys.. you can get it done for around the same price but you will get a way better job and better performance..

250Renvy
05-17-2010, 05:04 PM
You may want to try LEDperformanceengines as well, or ordering directly from c-leigh racing for a more custom port job.

sikadelic
05-17-2010, 05:12 PM
i would definetly check with led. i dont know how price will compare, but you will be able to have your motor package set up specifically for you and your needs by one of the best 250r guys there is

mcboomport
05-17-2010, 05:18 PM
I would recommend buying the ESR package, then sending the cylinder to Arlan(LED) to have ported. (Or C-leigh) If you tried to have Arlan set you up with a motor package like that it would be well over $2,000.

morse250r
05-17-2010, 08:54 PM
ct still uses the pro x jugs
esr is thier new jug

in my mind so far pro x jugs are better more options of resleeveing ect
esr is not willing to work with you on future options they just want you to buy new

i suggest call each one and ask... on thing you can talk to allen at ct but youll never get eddie on the phone

wes350x
05-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by morse250r
esr is thier new jug

esr is not willing to work with you on future options they just want you to buy new

i suggest call each one and ask... on thing you can talk to allen at ct but youll never get eddie on the phone

Ive spoken to Eddie on the phone myself.. Hes a nice guy. I have a new ESR cylinder about 1 year now and no problems. Crappy port work sent to me but I sent it back and paid to hace it re-ported.

mineralgrey01gt
05-17-2010, 09:43 PM
my brother has an ESR 330 kit and it rips pretty damn good

leager-n-ky
05-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by morse250r
esr is thier new jug

I have spoken with Eddie, Very nice guy. If you can put up with the other guy's arrogance, and snotty attitude go ahead, I cant.
For the money, The ESR package is good, I am very pleased with my 310.
Just my .02 worth.

tsaun987
05-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Thanks guys. Trying to stay under $2k on the motor build if possible. Still need a arms and shocks! I'm gonna give LED a call in the morning to see about what kind of price I'd be looking at to just buy the whole package from him. I'd really like to deal with the same place on the entire motor build, but if it is out of my price range, I'll just buy from esr and ship to LED..

You guys think I'll be pretty happy with the 310? How do you think I'll fair against the 450's out there? Again, I'm not a racer and dont need the fastest quad out there. I just want more power than what I've got right now, and want to stay reliable.
-tyler

morse250r
05-18-2010, 04:07 AM
310 is the way to go they are a fun motor but it all depends on who you plan on riding.

thats crappy you have to pay to have a crappy port job re ported !!
look at pro x 's web site awhile back they had a top end kit for 600.00 no porting but as stated about you can get someone else to do a real good job ! cheap

Honda 250r 001
05-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Esr has the best cylinder for the price hands down. But DONT get it ported by them, UNLESS its from eddy him self. and you get to talk to him before he ports it.

tsaun987
05-18-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm going to order the 310 kit from ESR. So when I call them to place my order, should I just tell them to do NO porting to it? Wonder if I can have them ship directly to LED to port it for me. So should I still get the trx9 pipe from esr even though they are not the ones porting it?

mcboomport
05-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Get the pipe you like. Arlan will tell you get his most likely, but don't worry about that. Just make sure you get the pipe that compliments your porting/ riding. The ESR pipes are awesome, and sooo cheap. Arlans are super pricey.

machwon
05-18-2010, 08:14 PM
If you have $2k to spend on motor mods why not just go with the 350 cylinder? It really is the best deal in the long run and they run much better in my opinion.

Deuce426
05-18-2010, 09:02 PM
downfall with the 350 is bottom end / trans reliability. I was originally planning on a 350, but am now leaning towards a 310 myself for that reason

tsaun987
05-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by machwon
If you have $2k to spend on motor mods why not just go with the 350 cylinder? It really is the best deal in the long run and they run much better in my opinion.

I would love to go 350PV, but I am planning on having the bottom end rebuilt before I put the new top end on. Kind of a preventative maintenence thing. Just trying to get the best deal on a top end that I can, that way I can put the saved $$$ towards a arms and shocks...

I'm always looking at ebay and craigslist for good deals on another 250r. I'm sure I'll go 350 on the next build, but for now I think I'll be happy with a 310
tyler

latheboy
05-18-2010, 09:31 PM
LED gets his cylinders from ESR. He also uses the ESR sytle powervalve. I just got a 350PV from LED. I am also running his big bore pipe. The whole setup works very well. But, it was well more than the 2k you mentioned you would like to spend.
Jus tthought I would mention the syle cylinder that LED uses.....

tsaun987
05-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by latheboy
LED gets his cylinders from ESR. He also uses the ESR sytle powervalve. I just got a 350PV from LED. I am also running his big bore pipe. The whole setup works very well. But, it was well more than the 2k you mentioned you would like to spend.
Jus tthought I would mention the syle cylinder that LED uses.....

thanks for the info man. I didnt know that his cylinders came from esr. Good to know!
tyler

machwon
05-19-2010, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by tsaun987
I would love to go 350PV, but I am planning on having the bottom end rebuilt before I put the new top end on. Kind of a preventative maintenence thing. Just trying to get the best deal on a top end that I can, that way I can put the saved $$$ towards a arms and shocks...

I'm always looking at ebay and craigslist for good deals on another 250r. I'm sure I'll go 350 on the next build, but for now I think I'll be happy with a 310
tyler

The 350 cylinder is $200 more, and since you're already plan on fixing the bottom end I would at least have the cases big bored to accept the 350 later. Personally I would build a 265-270cc ported stock cylinder first and save some $$$, then do it right with a 350 later. I've just never been too impressed with the 310 kit's performance thats out there. You can kill them with a good stocker all the time.

tsaun987
05-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by machwon
The 350 cylinder is $200 more, and since you're already plan on fixing the bottom end I would at least have the cases big bored to accept the 350 later. Personally I would build a 265-270cc ported stock cylinder first and save some $$$, then do it right with a 350 later. I've just never been too impressed with the 310 kit's performance thats out there. You can kill them with a good stocker all the time.

thanks for the tip. I'm thinking about taking your advice and going ahead with the 350. Should I spend the extra $$ and go PV? Again, I'm not racing. Just trails and the beach. I sent LED a email asking for a quote to bore my cases and port my cylinder but haven't heard back yet. Any idea at what I'm looking at to have them do my porting and case boring? I'll prob just get the top end and cases done and do the bottom end rebuild. Then wait a bit and pick up my new carb and pipe. That way I'm not dropping huge coin on my setup all at once! Plus I'm gonna have my frame pc'd so it's not like I'm gonna be riding it anytime soon. Still have the trusty ole EX for cruising the bayou behind the house :devil: