PDA

View Full Version : Cam chain removal problems.

CJM
05-17-2010, 02:53 PM
In the process of rebuilding the top end I am putting in a CRF450 cam chain.

Have the crankcase separated and the clutch discs out, but I cant remove the clutch basket (unstaked the nut too) cause it wants to move, tried holding it to no avail.

Looked in the manual, doesnt offer much in terms of how to change the chain, am I doing something wrong here? It looks like you have to remove the clutch basket to remove the sprockets to get to the chain.

Of course I could always rivet the chain on and off? Is that how your supposed to do it?

paganmac_10
05-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Nope ur doing it right, gotta pull the basket to get the chain.......

matt14c
05-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Need a clutch holder. Its like $15 I think from rocky mountain. Wont come off without one or unless you figure out some other way of holding it. I even tried one of my dads snap on impact and it didnt spin fast enough for it. Have to get that basket off to change the chain. Also little hint. I took a sharpie and drew a line across the cluth before I took it apart so that I knew for sure that it was put back in the same way. I think I read that in the Honda manual.

CJM
05-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Hmm woulda been a good idea to put a line across the clutch. Too late now.

I just ordered the tool from rocky mtn. Im sure i coulda made something that woulda worked but the tools only 15 bucks and its not like I have to have everything together now. Still sending the head off for some boring.

NacsMXer
05-17-2010, 09:14 PM
An impact gun will zip that nut right off with no holder tool or anything. But that tool is nice for when you go to re-torque the nut to spec.

CJM
05-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Funny, I have an impact gun but I figured the tool would be better off.I just hope I unstaked the nut enough, its a royal pain for some reason.

Good news is I now know how to replace the clutch :D