PDA

View Full Version : 24volt wire schematic made easy(2 batteries)

DnB_racing
05-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Its a big help if your installing the 2nd battery. I have seen web sites trying to charge for the wire and directions to do this. You can do it yourself real cheap and easy. and it really cranks the starter without any issues for my system. I highly recommend this addition.The starter cranks so quick that it locks the one way bearings in the starter clutch so they dont slip and wear it down.Ive had it in about 2 months and i just checked my starter clutch no sign of any wear at all. I cant take credit for this diagram,I got from a nameless member a few months ago,that's how he wants it. but thanks Bro

HondaRaceReady
05-18-2010, 07:29 PM
The dual battery setup in that diagram is supplying the starter with twice the amps, not twice the volts because the batteries are wired into the system in a parallel connection. To make it a 24 volt system you would have to wire the batteries in series.

Scro
05-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
The dual battery setup in that diagram is supplying the starter with twice the amps, not twice the volts because the batteries are wired into the system in a parallel connection. To make it a 24 volt system you would have to wire the batteries in series.

This diagram is correct, and will get 24 volts to the starter and 12 volts to the rest of the system. The batteries are in series.

DnB_racing
05-19-2010, 10:35 AM
HRR this system works fine I used this diagram a couple months ago no issuers at all, and it is in series, you are right thats whats needed. look at the polarity and you'll see its series

airmobile101
05-19-2010, 10:44 AM
If your really lazy, do this. Yea, Im lazy!

DnB_racing
05-19-2010, 10:55 AM
that looks like its simple! Airmobile do you still have lites hooked up? if so any issues

DnB_racing
05-19-2010, 11:17 AM
AIR i think I like yours better!! with mine Ive always been afraid to start with lites on, Ive been afraid that there was potential for the whole system to carry the full 24 volts for that split second.but I do like my system for a duel battery box setup its simple with both batteries in the same place.with your set up you can just add the 2nd battery under seat with minimal cutting. If I was to do over I think I would have done yours

airmobile101
05-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Dude, I race. No need to lights. lol. Give me a few minutes and I will post picss of the Ozark Hillbilly way.

airmobile101
05-19-2010, 11:37 AM
here yea go

airmobile101
05-19-2010, 11:39 AM
another

airmobile101
05-19-2010, 11:40 AM
last one

airmobile101
05-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Granted, its not pretty,but it gets the job done. 2nd gear start with the Rekluse and I have a damn good start. Here is a video of the holeshot at our last race. I was second out,but I can't complain since I was on the outside. And the guy on a YFZ that got the holeshot was on Traci Cecco's old bike. And he is a damn good rider also.lol

Few small vids. This video is is the entire holeshot with all classes. I would be in the 4th group(VET) with the yellow glit tape on the bumper chasing that YFZ.LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1gEWKMtw7E

Next, different angle up close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hcBobUhS-Q&feature=channel

THR36
11-30-2010, 05:58 PM
thats exactly how i did mine. the same way..works perfect..starts so fastttt!!! have you had any problems with starter or anything since you put it in

airmobile101
11-30-2010, 08:20 PM
I dont run that setup anymore if your asking me. I still run 24v system,but I since changed some stuff around.Meaning....... I don't use those type of batteries anymore. I had a string of bad luck and went thru 3 stock/aftermarket batteries in 6 months time. Since then, I installed two alarm batteries in the stock battery location.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/TimmyRuark/tn.jpg

DnB_racing
11-30-2010, 10:57 PM
this is how I did mine

DnB_racing
12-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by airmobile101
I dont run that setup anymore if your asking me. I still run 24v system,but I since changed some stuff around.Meaning....... I don't use those type of batteries anymore. I had a string of bad luck and went thru 3 stock/aftermarket batteries in 6 months time. Since then, I installed two alarm batteries in the stock battery location.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/TimmyRuark/tn.jpg I know you did this a long time ago but I was just curious..... airmobile when you had battery issues, did you run two equal size and age batteries? if not that might be why you had issues.... the stronger battery will discharge the weaker one, and basically eat it up!!

airmobile101
12-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Now that I can't recall to be honest. And I see where your going with this, and you might be correct. I bought it in 09 and it was a 2007 dealer leftover. I installed the 24v system within a week of getting the quad. So that would be a 07 battery paired up with a new MOTOPOWER battery. Needless to say, it only lasted a month before I replaced the Honda battery with another Honda battery. Then a month after that, the Honda and MOTO battery both went belly up. I got a free exchange for both and tried it again. Same result 2 months after............ I didn't matter what battery was in what location(primary or secondary).

Anyways......... Theses alarm batteries are the chit. Almost a damn year on them:D
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/TimmyRuark/001-19.jpg

witech
12-22-2010, 02:49 PM
How come you dont have a charging curcuit in the diagram ?

DnB_racing
12-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by witech
How come you dont have a charging circuit in the diagram ? its the fused wire, its there

Ive been thinking about putting a diode between the 20amp fuse and the + on first battery, allowing the both batteries to charge without sending 24 volts back to the rest of the system..

right now I have the charging going to the + of the 2nd battery allowing the first battery to draw off the 2nd during start up, I only have to charge occasionally like this, but with the diode I wont have to charge at all

airmobile101
12-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
its the fused wire, its there

Ive been thinking about putting a diode between the 20amp fuse and the first battery, allowing the both batteries to charge without sending 24 volts back to the rest of the system..

right now I have the charging going to the 2nd battery allowing the first battery to draw off the 2nd during start up, I only have to charge occasionally like this, but with the diode I wont have to charge at all
You could add a relay with a switch if need be. That way you could alternate voltage between batteries. I thought about it,but I really see no need too since I always charge the batteries before a race anyways.

DnB_racing
12-22-2010, 06:13 PM
ya your right a small a/b switch that would work

witech
12-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Heres what I thought you were shooting for . Its simple and no switches fancy complicated charging setup needed. Its drawn up for a trolling motor but its the same principal. It charges the extra battery through the small bulb which also functions as a current limiter. so when you crank the starter with the switch (soleniod) it only allows a miniscule amount of back current so as not to affect the main cranking electical load. Works like a charm and no trashing batteries because you forgot to charge it.

airmobile101
12-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Heres what I thought you were shooting for . Its simple and no switches fancy complicated charging setup needed. Its drawn up for a trolling motor but its the same principal. It charges the extra battery through the small bulb which also functions as a current limiter. so when you crank the starter with the switch (soleniod) it only allows a miniscule amount of back current so as not to affect the main cranking electical load. Works like a charm and no trashing batteries because you forgot to charge it.

Ahhhhhhh.............. Kinda like discharging a capacitor with a lightbulb. gotcha

airmobile101
12-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
ya your right a small a/b switch that would work
Then again.......... a diode would be easier and probably less crap to wire up.

witech
12-23-2010, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by airmobile101
Ahhhhhhh.............. Kinda like discharging a capacitor with a lightbulb. gotcha

No its just linking the 2 batteries in parallel with the light bulbs so the second one just get about 1 amp to keep charged. Then when you hit the start it just gives the starter only 24 volts . It has no effect on the rest of the quad. You dont need light bulbs ,you can use radio shack resistors or whatever you like that has the same internal resistance.
No need to worry about diode failures frying the quads electricval system.

DnB_racing
12-23-2010, 06:59 AM
No its just linking the 2 batteries in parallel with the light bulbs so the second one just get about 1 amp to keep charged. Then when you hit the start it just gives the starter only 24 volts . It has no effect on the rest of the quad. You dont need light bulbs ,you can use radio shack resistors or whatever you like that has the same internal resistance.
No need to worry about diode failures frying the quads electricval system. one other issue I just thought of, with the diode, IF the quad still has lites they wouldn't be able to run off the battery. Its not a big deal but the lites wouldn't work unless the quad is running

I know most race harness quads dont have lites but some still do, I still have my front lite wires, wired to a toggle under the tank, just in case I want to do a night run

Baxter
12-24-2010, 07:06 AM
Just a quick question.
Do you use the stock 12v starter and send 24v to it or a new 24v starter for this setup ?

DnB_racing
12-24-2010, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Baxter
Just a quick question.
Do you use the stock 12v starter and send 24v to it or a new 24v starter for this setup ? just the stock one!!

just as with other electrical MOTORS you can use multi voltages!!its the amps that cause the heat, as amps is resistance, and resistance is heat! so by doubling the voltage you half the amperage, so actually making it better on the motor and brushes!!!

with the 24volt start you can even start in gear, with out clutch!!!BUT that does cause the brushes to wear

Baxter
12-24-2010, 07:21 AM
Thank you for answering that for me.

RATPACK Z400
12-25-2010, 05:01 AM
Heres a suggestion ! I use 18 volt dewalt battery in my sons 12volt ride-on harley it makes it alot faster and easy to install, cut bottom of drill (at or below trigger)there,s two wire,s hook them to the two wire,s for the battery(cut off battery connector, connect drill bottom to two wires) then mount bottom of drill where battery went then its plug in and out then I have two battery,s one always charging,would this work/be lightweight ?they also have 24volt drills/batterys aswell.they also last longer than the original 12vt batt. will take pics soon! also did this too 6volt quad ,had to put wheely bars on it to keep front end on ground ! HA HA PS works with all powerwheels quads/car etc.

Scro
12-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
Heres a suggestion ! I use 18 volt dewalt battery in my sons 12volt ride-on harley it makes it alot faster and easy to install, cut bottom of drill (at or below trigger)there,s two wire,s hook them to the two wire,s for the battery(cut off battery connector, connect drill bottom to two wires) then mount bottom of drill where battery went then its plug in and out then I have two battery,s one always charging,would this work/be lightweight ?they also have 24volt drills/batterys aswell.they also last longer than the original 12vt batt. will take pics soon! also did this too 6volt quad ,had to put wheely bars on it to keep front end on ground ! HA HA PS works with all powerwheels quads/car etc.

No. Everything besides the starter would still only need 12 volts. If you only had one 18 or 24 volt battery, it would fry everything.

airmobile101
12-26-2010, 04:47 AM
I still want to try those A123 batteries those larger Dewalt packs use.

Codynetz634
06-30-2013, 11:32 PM
I know this is a really old post but I'm liking the setup you are showing. Could you explain how to hook it up to the quad. Cause I got lost with the different labeling in the diagram. What kind of resistor would be used also? Thanks in advance!

suspension101
07-04-2013, 07:15 AM
this is how I did mine

DnB, in your diagram wouldn't the charge wire only be charging the first battery? Couldn't you put the second battery after the starter solenoid and run the charge wire to the positive post of this second battery with a diode in the line to keep from back feeding the charge wire? I can make up a diagram if you like.

Codynetz634
07-05-2013, 11:46 PM
DnB, in your diagram wouldn't the charge wire only be charging the first battery? Couldn't you put the second battery after the starter solenoid and run the charge wire to the positive post of this second battery with a diode in the line to keep from back feeding the charge wire? I can make up a diagram if you like.

I think you should make one. It would be very useful to me!

suspension101
07-09-2013, 05:56 AM

Here you go. This is what I'm thinking. I don't know why it wouldn't work?

suspension101
07-09-2013, 05:57 AM

Codynetz634
07-10-2013, 12:13 AM
Maybe someone with more experience in this kind of stuff will chime in. Or maybe someone who has done this. What would happen if I did this and it didnt work? What's the worst that could happen?

DnB_racing
07-10-2013, 01:46 PM

ya that would work just fine, as long as you keep from back feeding 24 volts to the system, using a diode like that would be perfect

Codynetz634
07-10-2013, 09:39 PM
what size wire would you use? how do you hook up the diode? Im sure I have enough things laying around to try this and I know for sure I have a diode.

Scro
07-11-2013, 03:55 AM
If the diode were to go bad, would it be as though the connection were lost, or would it then be a direct connection between the positives?

310ESR
07-11-2013, 12:55 PM
John Deere use to have a inline diode on 4020 tractors and it wasn't that big maybe 2" long 1/4" round.

DnB_racing
07-11-2013, 02:24 PM
If the diode were to go bad, would it be as though the connection were lost, or would it then be a direct connection between the positives?great Point!!! there is a very good chance on overcurrent, overvoltage or overheating, could cause it to short circuit ...

im not sure its worth the risk, I think id rather just put a charger on the second battery at the end of the day