PDA

View Full Version : Twist throttles??????

toby400ex
01-30-2003, 08:38 PM
I want to know if any of you have switched to twist throttles on your wheelers. I am thinking of doing it so maybe the arm pump during my races might not be as much of a problem when trying to push the throttle. Cuz when i got it i could grip the bars but i couldnt seem to find the throttle with my thumb. So im thinking if i can grip the bars i can grip the twist throttle.

Nausty
01-30-2003, 08:40 PM
It might help but I hate how awkward they are on quads and they are dangerous.

cdalejef
01-30-2003, 08:53 PM
You either love them or hate them! I can't race for 5 minutes with a thumb throttle without cramping up.:huh

TheX1992
01-31-2003, 06:38 AM
i had one on mine when i bought it. i try riding my friends blaster or banshee and my thumb wants to grow legs and run away after one lap around the field. turning is easier because you dont have to search for the little thumb bar when your squatting down and leaning, its always where your hand is. it takes a bit of getting use to having a looser wrist when you just thuohg. but man you get strong wrists after a bit of that!

Ryan
01-31-2003, 06:49 AM
For me, I can't stand them. I was riding a dirt bike one day and I fell off the back with my hands still on the handlebars, well my wrist twisted and the bike when flying in front of me.

I have no problems with thumb throttles....... I can't stand the banshees thumb throttle though....... You need Channel Locks just to push in the throttle ;) .

I see alot of pro's using the twist throttle...... Are there alot of pro's that are still using thumb?

zephead400ex
01-31-2003, 08:15 AM
I have wondered the same thing. My thinking is, and correct me if I'm wrong...but if you were taking a hard left your right hand could push enough on the throttle that you could possibly accelerate and launch over the embankment flying off your quad and causing serious pain...am I wrong? lol! later

tants
01-31-2003, 09:20 AM
a twist throttle came on my 250r. i hated it. the day i bought it i rode with it for a few minutes then took it off....

actually i took the entire quad apart the first day i got it after a few hours of riding... :D

JustRace
01-31-2003, 09:21 AM
I love my twist throttle. I have no problem turning any direction. Its great, and i love the resistance of my twist throttle. It took me about 2 good days of riding to get used to it. The first day i about flew into my dads 5-th wheel in the back yard, but since then its been great.

ridesa00400EX
01-31-2003, 09:23 AM
personally, i think that they put thumb throttles on a quad for a reason. i think that it would be a lot harder to lean into turns while still keeping on the gas.

Sportrax10
01-31-2003, 01:40 PM
I had a twist throttle on my Blaster when I had it and had not problem. When I got the 400ex I havnt even thought about it. I probably wont go back to twist though.

QuadRacer041
01-31-2003, 01:46 PM
i always have run twist throttles on all the quads i have owned. like jeff said, u either love or hate em. i think most of the time people dont give them a chance, they ride with it for a few hours or a day and say forget it, its too dangerious. but you have to give it more time, it takes a while to get used too. i would say unless you having tropuble with a thumb throttle why change.

osrider
01-31-2003, 02:07 PM
Yeah I've heard when taking a hard left that it makes your hand push the throttle all the way in due in part because you have turn the bars more on a quad than a dirtbike. Thats my theory, but I havent rode a twist throttle quad yet.

blastersrule
01-31-2003, 08:02 PM
i love my twist and i cant ride a quad as well with a thumb, if you do get one dont get a cheep one get one of the best you can find cuz i went through 2 dif one before i found what i like, some stick:cool:

bluebaron
01-31-2003, 08:05 PM
why do you take your thumb off the throttle if you can never find it:rolleyes:

toby400ex
01-31-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by banshee_ex07
why do you take your thumb off the throttle if you can never find it:rolleyes:
lol, i cant feel my thumb when i get really bad arm pump so eventually the quad slows down and i figure out that my thumb lost its way, but i cant look down to make sure i get it on the throttle cuz id hit a tree.:rolleyes:

Glow Plug
01-31-2003, 08:56 PM
i can't stand twist i just have trouble keeping them stable gonig over the rough but that was on a dirt bike but i still love the tumbs

roostin_dale
01-31-2003, 11:25 PM
id choose twist over thumb anyday...im never going back to a thumb throttle......except when you need to grab the front brakes really quick, sometimes you cant get em fast enough:macho

JustRace
02-01-2003, 12:22 PM
once you get used to the twist throttle there is no problem about slinging it around. This picture is from about half an hour ago.

http://exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=421583

tclapp
02-01-2003, 12:37 PM
I have been riding quads ever since i was 5 and i had never had a twist throttle until recently i thought that i would try it. At first i really didnt like it but after i got used to it, i still thought that it was alright until one day a couple of my riding buddies and i were riding and it was a muddy day and we were riding up some hills and i grabbed a lot of throttle and with all teh mud getting packed around the twist it made the throttle stick wide open and i flipped 5 times to the bottom so twist may not be that bad for some people espically if you keep the mud of of them,but my self i will stick with my thumb throttle