PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover bolt problems

CJM
05-16-2010, 08:39 PM
I am reassembling a friends 05 Ex engine, when we took it apart many of the valve cover bolts were loose so he bought new ones.

Low and behold 3 dont tighten down very well, they reach a tighter point then get loose again after a turn or two.

One of them must be broken off deep down (one of the longer ones) cause it doesnt thread in at all.

So he is saying lets just put it all together and leave it be and see what happens. The main bolt that seems to hold it all together (about 6 inches long and 12-14mm head iirc) is tight tho.

1. Im thinking its a better idea to take it apart and retap these screwed up bolts for a larger size or possibly retap them higher up and make full threads on all the bad bolts. Helicoiling it I dont think will work to well based on where the threads are.

2. Had this idea as well:
I can tap the 3 valve cover ones with it all assembled I think if I make sure and flush the engine a few times with oil it should get rid of any shavings.

Thoughts? Thinking the rocker arms wont make proper contact if everything isnt snug enough.

Heres a pic as best as I can do (pic itself sucks), but you get the idea.

CJM
05-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Pic

CJM
05-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Anyone got an opinion?