PDA

View Full Version : JD Performance upper a-arm only

quad2xtreme
05-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Just installed a set of JD Performance upper a-arms. These are stock width. It allowed me to adjust the camber for use with 2006 spindles.

These cost $250 for both uppers. The balljoint is replaceable as are the bushings, bearing, and sleeve on the frame side. The way the stock ones have been going up in price, this seemed like the way to go. They have 3 settings for caster too.

Scro
05-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Nice. What is the benefit of 06 450r spindles over the original 400ex spindles?

guenther
05-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Interested in knowing more about this. Tell me more please.

leakyvoodoo
05-16-2010, 08:42 PM
What's up man. I order Honda upper a arms lke 3 months ago and still on back order. I think they where 95 dollers each. And not ajustable. Did u get the right from jd. Can I go to the web sight and order them. Some more info please

quad2xtreme
05-17-2010, 05:31 AM
scroll down until you see the upper a-arm only kit.

JD Performance (http://www.jdperformance.net/488%20Web%20Design/a%20arms.html)

Most people get upper and lower in +1 on each side. I wanted to keep my stock lower a-arms. They were concerned about the clearance at the shock but there is plenty.

The main reason for switching is to take advantage of the 450r brake caliper. There is a night and day difference. I tried the 2005 spindles but the geometry is too far off. I was going to have JD Performance make a custom length of upper a-arms to make the 2005 spindles work but decided to go with the 2006 spindles which are close in design to the 400ex spindles.

Picture shows the spacing between the balljoint and the shock with the suspension fully extended. I can slide my thumb between the two.

leakyvoodoo
05-17-2010, 06:24 AM
I have 450 shocks on mine. Guess I will call jd and talk to them. There the ones that will know what to do. And is the 06 450 spindles a must have for this setup. Or can I up grade at a later time

quad2xtreme
05-17-2010, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by leakyvoodoo
I have 450 shocks on mine. Guess I will call jd and talk to them. There the ones that will know what to do. And is the 06 450 spindles a must have for this setup. Or can I up grade at a later time

You can upgrade to 2006 spindles later. There definitely won't be an issue with the 450r shocks. Works fine with my Elka shocks too.

BTW, this is the first set of stock length 400ex a-arms JD Performance built. I agreed to pay for them whether they worked or not. They were concerned about the spacing between the upper balljoint and the lower shock. I imagine this will catch on and they will sell more. I will be ordering another set of the upper a-arms today.

leakyvoodoo
05-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Awsome. Like I said in a early post I have been waiting for a upper a arm for Honda since march. My upper ball joint is shot. Thanxs for th info. And deff will be ordering min today also. And hopeing getting my money back from the Honda shop for the one that was order months ago

guenther
05-17-2010, 08:00 AM
How much negative camber can you get with the new upper? 1"-2"? Your picture looks like the ball joint is screwed in as much as possible.

quad2xtreme
05-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by guenther
How much negative camber can you get with the new upper? 1"-2"? Your picture looks like the ball joint is screwed in as much as possible.

I am running 2 degrees right now. There is still room to go further. I can check for sure if you are trying to get to 4 degrees for MX. I am positive it will go to 3 degrees.

guenther
05-17-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm running XC actually. Thanks.

guenther
06-01-2010, 05:55 PM
quad2xtreme, how are the upper a-arms holding up? Would you buy them again? I'm thinking about buying a set because I want to keep my width the same for XC.

quad2xtreme
06-01-2010, 07:15 PM
getting ready to order another set this week. They were awesome in the trails. I did upgrade to the ones with bearings for an extra $40. not sure how much difference it really makes though.

guenther
06-01-2010, 07:58 PM
What was the exact upgrade and what was it supposed to do? I didn't see anything mentioned on their website.

quad2xtreme
06-02-2010, 03:53 AM
for me, I can run 2006 spindles and brake calipers on my 400ex and adjust the camber. I use the stock lower a-arm with the JD Performance uppers. You can adjust teh caster in 3 positions but I leave it in the middle for XC.

Going forward, I can rebuild them with new balljoints and pivot bearings and bushings. Stock bearings are a ***** to change.

guenther
06-02-2010, 07:17 AM
I was actually just referring to the bearing upgrade for $40 but thanks for the rundown again. I want something that I can adjust the camber on so I'm thinking this might be the trick.

quad2xtreme
06-02-2010, 08:38 AM
very narrow bearing in the center. The sleeve rides inside the bushing on each side and the bearing in the center. I assume it provides more durability...added cost of $20 per side of $10 per bearing.

/jon

400man
06-02-2010, 11:04 AM
I tried mounting up some stock 86 250r upper a-arms on my 400 cause they have the removeable upper ball joint, but it takes a decent amount of cutting and fitting on the a-arms to make em fit, so I said forget it.

I might invest in some of these upper a-arms later on, although they seem pretty overly priced for just 2 a-arms. my problem with the stock a-arms now is that one side kinda looks like it leans out at the top of the tire (not sure if its negative or positive camber?) and when cornering at higher speeds, it feels pretty tippy, like its rolling off the edge of the front tire. I guess adjusting the camber to where the tops of the tires lean in would fix this?

quad2xtreme
06-02-2010, 12:23 PM
$125 per a-arm isn't expensive IMO. Stock ones are now going for $80 each. I am totally willing to spend $45 each to have the adjustment and the replaceable balljoint. I throw stock a-arms away way before their time simply because the bearings are way to hard to replace. Time is money and I can't spend even 1 hr dicking around with getting the old bearings out or I lost money.

By the way, one side sitting funny is another reason I wanted these. One side seemed to have different camber than the other. I didn't know if it was the 2006 spindles of the stock a-arms.

I have another 400ex with the same setup that seems fine.