PDA

View Full Version : 250r powered 450r project

Lex Talionis
05-16-2010, 01:53 PM
hey guys, first post here so bare with me.....
Im currently installing a trx 250r engine in a 450r chassis, just because i had everything i would need lyin around, plus i think it will be awesome.
Anyways, ive done alot of custom fab on bikes and choppers before, but anytime ive done engine swaps its always been on rigid choppers, so there was never an issue with chain angles. Which is where im stuck on this project...ive got the engine in the frame and have good clearance for everything, but im not sure how to set up for the location of the countershaft sprocket in relation to the swingarm pivot and rear sprocket..

Now common sense tells me i want the chain to just barely clear the top of the swingarm with the chassis sitting at ride height with full weight of the rider and gear on it....So that there is no bends in the chain and little rubbing while its under load....Am i right here??

Also, has anyone else done this swap before who could give me any tips? Thanks

fmftrx300ex
05-17-2010, 12:26 PM
as long as u have good alingment and it doenst bind threwout any of the rear suspension travle your golden btw that is a sweet prodject pm me some pics when ur done or feel free to ask me anything u might need to know

Scro
05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Very cool. Can't wait to see the finished product.:macho

RobRacing
05-23-2010, 01:04 PM
The way you have it mounted in the pic looks good. If you have a 450R just take some measurement's of the center of the countershaft in relation to the center of the swingarm pivot bolt. As long as you are close you can just adjust the chain tension to relieve any binding.