PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist and Ebay Junk

dlunn
05-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Ten years ago I had an 88 250r and because of financial circumstances had to sell. I have always wanted to get another one so I have been looking for the last couple of weeks. Yesterday my friend and I did the road trip to Michigan from Ontario looking at quads, and after 1300 kms (800 miles) and looking at 4 quads I've come to the conclusion that there is alot of junk out there for sale.

First - 1988 ESR motor, aftermarket shocks, A-arms, axle, swingarm, everything. Prepared to buy and I run the VIN it's stolen.

Second - 1988, called the guy during the week said quad is tight, frame is good shape, runs good. I have never seen so much welding done on a frame, and poor welding at that. He said it had +3 inch A-arms, there stock.

Third - nice quad but it was an 87. I'm looking for either an 88 or 89.

Fourth - 1989 that was supposed to be in excellent condition. Pictures look good. The bad, shifter welded on to shaft, plastic held together with white zip ties, cracked case from throwing a chain, and the best of all it wouldn't even start. Tried to tow it to start wouldn't start. Came back an hour later the guy got it started but it ran terrible. Nothing aftermarket on it other than a pipe and the guy still wanted $2500.

I don't know if this is ranting but I had a 22 hour day yesterday and I'm a little tired. I realize I need to start asking for alot more detailed pictures of future quads. I know I'm not going to find a new quad but I'm budgeting up to the mid 3's. I think I should be able to find something for that in good shape. The other issue is that I need a titled quad for bringing it across the border and registering here in Ontario.

So my first post is a little long, but I wanted to vent. If anyone knows of a good 88 or 89 titled quad send me a PM. I would be willing to make the drive.

Darryl

dynofox
05-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Sorry to hear about your wasted trip. It's amazing how the definition of great shape differs so much between sellers. I too looked at some really ragged out R's before buying the one I have, there are nice ones out there just keep looking.

troybilt
05-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Build one! That's what I'd do... put it together they way you want it. There is enough partouts going around and the guys/gals on here would be more than happy to help. Easily do a nice build for mid to high 3's. Chances are if you buy one you'll need to go thru it and replace bearings, check for cracks etc... anyway.

my $0.02

dlunn
05-16-2010, 09:52 AM
I would like to build one up and get what I want, but when guys are asking mid 2's for a quad with little aftermarket on it and looks like its been to Iraq and back you wonder what there thinking on prices. One that I looked at would have been worth $1000 as parts and he wanted $2200. The subframe top bracket was actually broken away from the main frame. I know I will find one, it just might take a little more time.

250Renvy
05-16-2010, 11:19 AM
I have had similar experiences. I sent you a pm. I think I can help you.

I always ask for good pictures and talk to the person after my initial experience of looking at a lot of junk myself. That's why I decided to build new. It cost a lot more and takes a long time, but probably worth it in the end.

hontrx265r
05-16-2010, 11:42 AM
There was that laeger bike forsale on here not too long ago. (In michigan) Had gibson a arms and cr500 link. Looked Like a decent bike to start with forsure. He didn't seem unreasonable maybe look for that?

Fear250r
05-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by hontrx265r
There was that laeger bike forsale on here not too long ago. (In michigan) Had gibson a arms and cr500 link. Looked Like a decent bike to start with forsure. He didn't seem unreasonable maybe look for that?

I think his name is b.lee on here? He's been trying to sell that thing forever.

trx310R#24
05-16-2010, 03:13 PM
ill sell you mine if your willing to drive to ohio... ill even take really close up pics of everything so you know what your getting lol $3000 comes with a parts motor to. or you can put the other motor together and sell it... lol

norcalduner
05-16-2010, 04:14 PM
If you are really serious, go to southern California where there is an overabundance of 250r's in mostly good to excellent condition specially if your looking for stockers. Quads here are mostly dune and desert with no rust buckets. Also, 250r's here are mostly ridden recreationally and not raced. If you noticed, there are 2 to 3 ebay people who are constantly parting out clean R's who are either from this area or get their "supply" of quads from this area.

Also most quads here in Cali are titled and registered as required by the state .

spintly
05-16-2010, 04:49 PM
I searched for at least a year and half to find mine. Drove all over the place and ran into the same situation that you did. There are a lot of these machines out there that are not maintained properly and abused. My long wait paid off and was able to find the 88 R of my childhood dreams and only had to drive 30 minutes. Patience is the key.

trx250rforlife
05-16-2010, 06:55 PM
hey where abouts are u located in Ontario i live in Ontario and im selling my R alot of work done to it send me reply if u want to talk about it thanks

pimpt250r
05-16-2010, 07:17 PM
so the 1st quad was stolen , how did that play out? I mean how did the current owner react or not ?

dlunn
05-16-2010, 07:28 PM
The guy who was selling the quad never new that it was stolen. He had purchased it 3 years before from Ebay, and was in shock when I said that it was a stolen VIN. The quad had been stolen less than a month from when he bought it. I've since talked to him about it and he's trying to figure out how he's going to get his money out. He had put almost $3000 into it. I've found that on these older quads that most people don't have titles or ask for them when they buy them. It doesn't help that some states aren't title states. I have contacted other sellers and when you mention doing a VIN check for some its the last I hear from them. Its like people don't want to know the history of their quad.

Thumpin440ex
05-16-2010, 08:04 PM
I know exactly what you mean man. I went with a buddy to Aurora IL to buy a 27ft cat( performance boat) I had talked to the guy multiple times on the phone, and assured me the boat was MINT, we would be satisfied, so I sent a deposite to him. So long story short we head out from home, MD to IL. We get there, meet up the the dude, he takes us to the boat. What a rag it was, we stayed 20mins, turned around and drove strait back home.. 22 hour round trip, man we were pissed.. lol Some peoples nice is not others, I have def found that out, I am anal as hell about things

John

skyeryder
05-17-2010, 10:33 AM
what kinda 88' do you want race ready or a nice trail quad??
The one I have is close to being all stock, still has all stickers on the frame, key switch, stock bars, etc, does have aftmkt frt bumper and grab bar and FMF pipe. Front plastic, tank, and hood are near mint. The only real flaw is the rear plastic has been stitched, I'm the second owner.
If your interested and want more pics let me know,thanks

Langbolt
05-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Have you tried lookin' on KIJIJI.CA

Lot's of 250R's in Ontario on there.

No border issues then.

my 2 cents

:devil:

sangheraent
05-17-2010, 01:41 PM
hey man im from BC and the local dealerships dont even know what a 250r is. Iv seen only 1 250r on craigslist in the last year and a half the chances of buying one here are slim. Iv looked at the craigslist adds in washington and theres some decent ones but way overpriced.
I built this one here for about 3300 CAD it would have been 3000 flat but i used a 5 year old c clip and it ate it. it took me about 4 months to collect all the parts only because i ran out of money 10 times. and about 1-2 days to put it all together.
http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt172/sangheraent/IMG_5379.jpg

dlunn
05-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Thats a nice looking 250r. There are a bunch of 250R's for sale around here on Kijiji but when you compare what they want for them and whats on them compared to prices in the states its a big difference. There's a Walsh 250R that I fave seen in the classifieds here for $4500. At our dollar nearly at par I think it makes the following machines look pretty expensive. What do my American neighbours think about these for pricing?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-ATVs-trx-250R-honda-W0QQAdIdZ204679342

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-ATVs-RARE-1988-HONDA-TRX-250R-QUAD-W0QQAdIdZ204417473

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-ATVs-1986-250r-W0QQAdIdZ198415322

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-ATVs-Honda-250r-W0QQAdIdZ193403750

Fear250r
05-17-2010, 03:49 PM
I think all four of those are way over priced!!

dlunn
05-17-2010, 04:25 PM
In Ontario to buy a new 450R the dealer list will be mid 9's and you still have to be PDI/freight/taxes (taxes are 13%). You might find one a model year old or two where they still want $7000 +++. It ends up making older quads worth so much more. During my search in the US I saw a few dealers advertising 08/09 450R new high 4's. When our dollar is even it really shows how were being gouged by the atv companies here. Thats the reason I'm looking at buying in the US. Dollar for dollar nothing seems to be comparable here.

Langbolt
05-17-2010, 04:39 PM
You missed one

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-ATVs-HONDA-TRX250R-W0QQAdIdZ205338331

I know you don't want an '86.....but you could look into this one

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-ATVs-Honda-TRX250R-with-Eddie-Sanders-TRX11-330cc-Big-Bore-Kit-W0QQAdIdZ173524937

:devil:

troybilt
05-17-2010, 06:33 PM
My buddy is selling his 89 R, $3700 central KS. Mostly stock a few bolt on's...

troybilt
05-17-2010, 06:36 PM
one more: