PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues on 1993 f-150

toby400ex
05-16-2010, 12:18 AM
First off this truck has about 150k miles on it. It is a 5.0 auto and has randomly become difficult to start. It doesn't do this all of the time but sometimes it will will have to crank over for at least 5 seconds with my foot on the gas before it does anything. If I do not press on the gas it will show no signs of trying to start. I have my suspicions that it could be the fuel pump, but I always here the pump turn on when I turn the key so I dunno. I've never encountered problems getting a vehicle to start unless it just needed a new starter, but this is not the case. Any help?

trx310R#24
05-16-2010, 04:30 AM
how old are the spark plugs? if they are really old it could be that... or spark plug wires... but you said you have to hit the gas to start it so then maybe its the valves or injectors... so go to auto zone buy your self some "lucas" fuel injector cleaner and go from there. iv seen this many times. theres a link to the stuff i use.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=26&catid=8&loc=show&headTitle=%20-%20Lucas%20Fuel%20Treatment

250rAL
05-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Fuel filter?

CJM
05-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Test the fuel pressure with a gauge, there should be a connection on the fuel rail and you can find the specs online. You can buy all the tools you need online or thru harbor freight. If you cant do it yourself, have a qualified mechanic check it for you. They will also be able to check the vehicle for computer codes too.

Other possible causes:
-Fuel filter
-Fuel injectors clogged/dirty
-Computer is not sending enough fuel (unlikely)
-Starter/Starter solenoid (unlikely)

toby400ex
05-16-2010, 11:00 AM
I cant get it to start at all today. The ol pushing the pedal trick isn't working, but I do smell gas now. I dunno if it is possible to flood and EFI engine this way or not.

CJM
05-16-2010, 02:08 PM
It is possible to flood it, but very hard.

Do this, crank the engine over while holding the pedal down-it may kick over. It may kick over and smell like crap and pour out smoke cause its to rich if you get it running. No harm done tho.

I would say you need a new fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. You need to have it pressure tested.

toby400ex
05-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Can I get it pressure tested at the auto parts store? I plan on replacing the plugs and wires and fuel filter. It also needs a new belt, its been squealing for a while. Luckily I did get it started, and there was a lot of smoke. I had to crank it so long I cant believe the battery didn't get drained.

eastside 400
05-16-2010, 07:46 PM
check the cap and rotor for corrosion, it could be the fuel pump, even though it is turning on, it may be dropping pressure or not building it up fast enough, i would start with the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires if they are in question though

CJM
05-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Parts stores usually cannot test the fuel rail pressure. You need a fuel pressure tester such as this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injection-pump-tester-92699.html it will probably work, but HF also sells a 80 dollar and cheap 12 dollar kit. Googling around online can get you what the pressure should be. when cranking and just turning the car on.

Sorry you dont live closer, I would do it for ya in like 5 mins :(

Does it have duel tanks? Try switching to the other tank and see if you have any issues? I would also change the fuel filter and do check the cap and rotor for corrosion, but it REALLY is fuel related not spark related imho. However not seeing it is hard to help ya out.

Kickstarts-suck
05-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Save yourself alot of trouble and see if you have any codes coming up.

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

Get on a good forum like this one.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/

05-17-2010, 02:11 AM
Ford? :p

trx310R#24
05-17-2010, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by YFZ-DunerUtah
Ford? :p

well im sure thats some of it...

chucked
05-17-2010, 11:30 AM
I have A LOT of experience with these... The fuel leaks out of the lines and back into the fuel tank. Before you start it, turn the key to the "run" position for about 5 seconds and let the fuel pump prime. Then crank, it should fire up a lot quicker. Older EFI fords and chevys do this...

toby400ex
05-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by chucked
I have A LOT of experience with these... The fuel leaks out of the lines and back into the fuel tank. Before you start it, turn the key to the "run" position for about 5 seconds and let the fuel pump prime. Then crank, it should fire up a lot quicker. Older EFI fords and chevys do this... I usually turn the key on as soon as I get into the seat, then put seatbelt on, by this time I don't hear the fuel pump anymore and it usually fires right up. Today it started up fine. I'll still get it tested and I guess Ill look into the fuel pressure testing kit at harbor freight.

toby400ex
05-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Parts stores usually cannot test the fuel rail pressure. You need a fuel pressure tester such as this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injection-pump-tester-92699.html it will probably work, but HF also sells a 80 dollar and cheap 12 dollar kit. Googling around online can get you what the pressure should be. when cranking and just turning the car on.

Sorry you dont live closer, I would do it for ya in like 5 mins :(

Does it have duel tanks? Try switching to the other tank and see if you have any issues? I would also change the fuel filter and do check the cap and rotor for corrosion, but it REALLY is fuel related not spark related imho. However not seeing it is hard to help ya out. It does have dual tanks, but I only fill the front tank due to the rear tank leaking. I'm thinking if it is a fuel pump problem I could steal the pump from the rear tank if they are interchangeable. I really do not look forward to dropping the gas tank. I'm sure I can do it but I just have not done it before.

CJM
05-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Dont drop the tank, take the bed off. Its 100x easier to get to the fuel pumps and you wont risk breaking a strap for the tanks.

I am not sure if the pumps interchange. Might be a good idea to get both tanks working too.

eastside 400
05-17-2010, 06:58 PM
if you turn your key on a leave it on for a while and then it starts fine then your fuel pump is dropping pressure, it should hold some pressure overnight/extended time, if its bleeding down, then it has to prime the whole fuel system up to the injectors, that is why its taking a while to startup

toby400ex
05-17-2010, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
if you turn your key on a leave it on for a while and then it starts fine then your fuel pump is dropping pressure, it should hold some pressure overnight/extended time, if its bleeding down, then it has to prime the whole fuel system up to the injectors, that is why its taking a while to startup Can this be a random occurrence? Today the truck had no problems starting. I went ahead and bought a new fuel filter and some injector cleaner. I know neither fix a big problem but I obviously want to start with the cheapest fixes first. And to the other poster..Is removing the bed really going to be easier than dropping the tank. I know the mechanics of removing the bed aren't that bad, but obviously I would need at least 4 people to come over and help me lift the thing off and on, not to mention the possibility of the bed bolts being rusted and seized. I wish someone would just t-bone this damn truck so I could buy something different, or at least a good hail storm to total it (I have been wishing for it but mother nature fails me every time).

eastside 400
05-18-2010, 03:54 PM
if you can get the bolts out easy and have some friends to help then the bed is usually easier, especially if you want access to both tanks. dropping the tanks isnt a big deal either really, just make sure you have the wires and lines disconnected before you drop it all the way down.

toby400ex
05-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by YFZ-DunerUtah
Ford? :p Hardy Har Har Har. I'm sure there has been other brands that get problems after being 17 years old.:D

Kickstarts-suck
05-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Like I said. Before you go wasting money on parts that may/may not be bad do a code check. Takes 5 mins and will save you alot of time and money. Trust me..

toby400ex
05-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
Like I said. Before you go wasting money on parts that may/may not be bad do a code check. Takes 5 mins and will save you alot of time and money. Trust me.. Believe me, I don't want to waste money on this truck. Besides changing oil and putting gas in it I haven't done much else to it since I bought it 2 years ago. I figure I should at least replace some filters and clean the injectors. While I wish someone would steal it and total it, it is my only transportation.

CJM
05-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Getting the bed up isnt that hard. I have done a few myself and used lifts, but I once rigged up the bed with held from a friend. We used some 6x6 block I had laying about it worked well enough.

If you got 4-6 guys it can be done and imho much easier than dropping the tank and getting covered in crap (wear glasses if you do it, you will thank me later).

Its probably the pump, its leaking pressure overnight most likely.

Go to any mechanic and for maybe 100 bucks they will test the fuel pressure, or buy one of those testers I linked.