PDA

View Full Version : getting started racing in new jersey

NITRO1253
01-30-2003, 07:42 PM
i have a 86 250r that i just totally restored from ground up and want to start racing cross country, harescrambles (smae thing i think???) what do i need to do to get started what kind of tires should i run, i got a brand new set of fast trekkers on it now and the bike is stock width. do i need to register with ama? any help will be great

Ryan
01-30-2003, 08:22 PM
Well first in order to race your going to need a racing card. You can get either AMA (American Motercycle Association) Or the ATVA (All Terrian Vehical Association). I would suggest you go with the ATVA. Heres the website. (http://www.atvaonline.com) . Your also going to need a "Pro Tether Killswitch" If your not formiliar with this, it alows the bike to shut off if you fall off of it. I think thats about it....... I would also just get some good gear or atlease some riding boots.

As for tires...... Normally I think most of the XC guys run 22inch 6 ply tires. I would reccomend Maxxis tires. They hook up good and great for the trails.

Main rule to racing- HAVE FUN :D .

Harescrambles are long races so keep a good speed pace going and don't go out killing yourself and giving it everything.

propartsracing
01-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Hi,

Most of us NJ people race the District 6 series. There's a race this weekend where you could sign up for a District card & an ATVA card.

The race is at Pine Grove, PA. It's exit 19 (Straustown) off of I-78 in PA. From central Jersey, it takes approx 2 hours to get there. You'll definately need proper riding gear & a kill switch. They check for that.

As far as tires... most riders use either ITP holeshots or Maxxis Razr tires. The fronts are usually 22x7x10 & rears are usually 20x11x9.

Good luck & maybe we'll see you there. Stop by & introduce yourself if you see our trailer!

Trish;)

NITRO1253
01-30-2003, 08:47 PM
i wont be able to go this weekend because it will be the firsty trip out for the bike but after i get everything dialed in i want to go racing, prolly in like 3 weeks do u have a schedule of races for d6? how long is a typical race? whats the farthest race in d6?

propartsracing
01-30-2003, 09:01 PM
The races are going to be 1 1/2 hours this year from what I heard. The farthest one is approx 3 hours 15 min from Central Jersey. It's out in Shippensburg, PA on the Turnpike. I'll pick up some D-6 brochures this weekend at Pine Grove & mail one to you if you want or you can stop by our store.

Trish;)