PDA

View Full Version : 440ex heat WOW, its hot

Thumpin440ex
05-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Just came back from a good 25 min blast beating on the bike pretty good. Havn't ran it this hard since I put it back together.. WOW it gets F&*kn hot.. Havn't had a chance to put a digi thrmo on it yet, but it is alot hotter then the 400 ever was. I know the added cc's make for a hotter set up.. Even with the oversize oil tank.. Man, I might have to switch to a bigger oil cooler.. It ran spot on but I do not like it that hot.. Hell but some of you 40 guys are running stock oil tanks with them.. what you all think ??

John

NacsMXer
05-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Try out a SPAL fan on your stock cooler...should notice a good difference. The oversized tanks help, but IMO a bigger oil cooler or a fan works a little better.

HPI_Savage25
05-15-2010, 08:12 PM
I know what you mean. I race MX and when I first got mine that was the first thing I noticed because the track I race at is all tight/technical, nothing past 3rd gear and when you do hit 3rd its for 1/2 second. Anyways I went to durhamtown today and didn't notice the extra heat, although riding in 3-4th the whole time might have helped?

Heard a lot of people get the air scoops also to help, although I haven't gotten any myself.

05-15-2010, 08:26 PM
i would like to help but we run drag straps 8sec. and we are down for 30min. but after the run it hot to . will header rap help you ? will it help keep some exhaust heat from the cyl?

Thumpin440ex
05-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Yah I just might have to get a bigger cooler or even the fan deal. I have UM scoops on it also... Header wrap might help, hmmmm

WHERES THE BEST PLACE TO GET THE SPAL FAN $$$ WISE??

John

rob_990
05-16-2010, 10:36 AM
EBAY

QuadJunkies
05-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Ive never had any issues with my 440-very pleased ! I do have shrouds .
I dont race anymore, but used to and its been threw ALOT of races. I think the hottest its even got was when we went to the dunes . I could def. tell a power loss .
Having an bigger oil cooler is not a bad idea for sure ...were actually getting ready to do that to my Sons Raptor 250.

Thumpin440ex
05-16-2010, 11:14 AM
What is the best size to go on the factory cooler. I could go measure but I am a lazy *** today lol..

Thanks John

NacsMXer
05-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
What is the best size to go on the factory cooler. I could go measure but I am a lazy *** today lol..

Thanks John

I would honestly just put the SPAL fan on the stock cooler. It'll make a big difference trust me. A little over 30 bucks on Ebay...make sure you get a puller and not a pusher fan.

Wheelie
05-17-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm running the stock oil tank, stock oil cooler, and don't have any cooling issues with my stroker--even with the added timing and over 11:1 compression (the E-85 plays a big part in this).

A 4" SPAL fan moves a lot of air and is all you'll need. It also fits the stock cooler very well.

Thumpin--Look into E-85 if it's available, it'll help your quad run cooler and add HP.

QuadJunkies
05-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Does anyone have link info for the fan that fits the stocker ? So I take it these are water proof correct?
We had a freind that used to do this with his Hybrid years ago with fans from out of computers,the only thing was they werent water proof.
As mentioned, we are researching for my Sons 250 and are going to buy a larger cooler for it .The EX might fit .

NacsMXer
05-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Does anyone have link info for the fan that fits the stocker ? So I take it these are water proof correct?
We had a freind that used to do this with his Hybrid years ago with fans from out of computers,the only thing was they werent water proof.
As mentioned, we are researching for my Sons 250 and are going to buy a larger cooler for it .The EX might fit .

QJ, here is a link to the seller that we have gotten the 4 in SPAL fans from on Ebay. His ebay user is: troygaud. http://stores.ebay.com/Affordable-Auto-N-Industrial-Stuff__W0QQ_fsubZ668061014

At the moment all he has listed is the pusher fan, which is not the one you want. You want the 4 inch puller fan. You may want to message him to see if he has any pullers available.

These fans move a TON of air, and only draw 1.9 amps. They are fully waterproof/dustproof and are the choice of many OEM's for stock cooling fans. I've heard of people fully submerging them through water crossings with the fan running with no issues. It is a quality unit for sure, puts a computer fan to shame lol.

You can also check out my SPAL fan install thread if you want to get some ideas for custom mounting/wiring on the 250. My method most likely won't work on the 250 since I have a larger oil cooler, but you can get a general idea from the thread on how to make it work. On the stock EX cooler you do everything I did in my thread except for my "extension brackets". Just mount the fan to the cooler, run 4 long bolts through its mounting holes, and secure in the front of the cooler with 2 metal straps and 4 nuts. It's pretty simple stuff i'm sure you guys can handle it. Definitely a worthy mod for the price!

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=391138

JOHNDOE83
05-17-2010, 03:27 PM
my 400ex during the turbo project.

while running it, the cylinder is at 260ish degrees, the header stays at around 500-600.

I used a infrared temp gun. it is very accurate.

everyone should get a temp reading and post it. so everyone else will know what's normal and what's not.

I just bought my temp gun so no prior temp readings before turbo install....this is on a 440. not properly tuned.

gt400ex
05-18-2010, 02:00 AM
A lot of people have been using the Spal fans and have had great success with them. I personally went with a second oil cooler, a small auto tranny cool for a car, inline with the stock cooler. Made a HUGE difference with power loss. I can now go all day in the sand, power out of deep holes or whatever and never loose much power.

QuadJunkies
05-28-2010, 12:38 PM
This is great info .Thanks so much ! I just contacted the seller ... now I just need to find a fan that will fit . Your might fit but it might be a little too wide . I hate buying a fan and it not fit .That could get expensive .
How much was yours if you dont mind me asking ? We found one fan for about 75 threw PWR but Im just not sure it will fit .

88dunerider
05-28-2010, 02:47 PM
idk if anybody has posted this yet but i just installed a second oil cooler on my 440 , i ran a good 3/4 tank through her yesterday no breaks in 75 degree weather it seemed to help , i still feel heat from my exhaust but otherwise no power loss like you could notice before , so for 25 bucks cheap mod and helped out l im still going to install a spal fan on my stock oil cooler tho for summer

NacsMXer
05-28-2010, 04:25 PM
This is great info .Thanks so much ! I just contacted the seller ... now I just need to find a fan that will fit . Your might fit but it might be a little too wide . I hate buying a fan and it not fit .That could get expensive .
How much was yours if you dont mind me asking ? We found one fan for about 75 threw PWR but Im just not sure it will fit .

The 4 inch unit is the smallest one SPAL makes. Maybe cut out a 4 inch or slightly larger circle and mock it up to your cooler to see if it will fit?

$75 is what these things "retail" for, which they are definitely worth IMO. But gotta love Ebay lol. Definitely go through the seller I mentioned. We are getting them for about 36 shipped, can't beat that!

QuadJunkies
06-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
QJ, here is a link to the seller that we have gotten the 4 in SPAL fans from on Ebay. His ebay user is: troygaud. http://stores.ebay.com/Affordable-Auto-N-Industrial-Stuff__W0QQ_fsubZ668061014

At the moment all he has listed is the pusher fan, which is not the one you want. You want the 4 inch puller fan. You may want to message him to see if he has any pullers available.

These fans move a TON of air, and only draw 1.9 amps. They are fully waterproof/dustproof and are the choice of many OEM's for stock cooling fans. I've heard of people fully submerging them through water crossings with the fan running with no issues. It is a quality unit for sure, puts a computer fan to shame lol.

You can also check out my SPAL fan install thread if you want to get some ideas for custom mounting/wiring on the 250. My method most likely won't work on the 250 since I have a larger oil cooler, but you can get a general idea from the thread on how to make it work. On the stock EX cooler you do everything I did in my thread except for my "extension brackets". Just mount the fan to the cooler, run 4 long bolts through its mounting holes, and secure in the front of the cooler with 2 metal straps and 4 nuts. It's pretty simple stuff i'm sure you guys can handle it. Definitely a worthy mod for the price!

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=391138

Is this it ? I emailed him and he said he had one in stock, I just want to make sure Im ordering the right thing. I wanna order today.
Thanks !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPAL-4-Paddle-Blade-PULL-12V-Fan-Motorcycle-ATV-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eadbdcf2cQQitemZ20048 3393324QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thumpin440ex
06-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Hmm unless you bought it that quick, it is gone LOL

hypersnyper6947
06-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Not sure if anyone already mentioned this, but do you think its running a little lean maybe. That will cause it to get hot also.

QuadJunkies
06-16-2010, 01:52 PM
lol I did. I took a chance in case it sold .

Pipeless416
06-16-2010, 04:52 PM
for the 400ex guys, if you're running in very hot areas and have a modded engine, consider an FST style cooler. it reroutes the oil line between the pump and the top of the head into a separate auxiliary cooler. this way, the cylinder is always getting extra cooled oil. this in conjunction with a 4" spal fan has made mine very enjoyable on long hot rides.

NacsMXer
06-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Is this it ? I emailed him and he said he had one in stock, I just want to make sure Im ordering the right thing. I wanna order today.
Thanks !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPAL-4-Paddle-Blade-PULL-12V-Fan-Motorcycle-ATV-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eadbdcf2cQQitemZ20048 3393324QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Just got home from work, so sorry on the late reply. I'm trying to view the item but I can't. But if it's 4 inches, and it's a puller, then you got the right one! ;)

QuadJunkies
07-05-2010, 12:12 PM
So I should install in FRONT of the cooler on the 250?? I dont like that idea in case it fails, then its blocking air flow .
The 250 cooler mounts in front of the stem,this might pose a problem. Also.. just a quick question....
We have it wired to the 250, but noticed it doesnt DRAW IN much air what so ever... but it does BLOW quite abit to the head . Im sure its drwaing some ,but it sure doesnt feel ike much . Can you tell me why this fan has been the fan to use vs. a puller style ?

Trying to figure a way to ask a question not sure how ..

So... if we were to say... mount it directly in front of the cooler ,air flow is in thoery, going the wrong direction ....if we mount behind the coller ,then there is very little air pulling threw the cooler but a ton of air going to the head . Seems like you would want a fan cooling the cooler :confused:

We want to accomplish a cooling system significantly on our sons 250 and its not making sense . lol

JOHNDOE83
07-05-2010, 12:19 PM
I always mount it so it blows the air through the cooler, i also wire it to the lights so if i feel its running hot or if im in slow trails i just hit on the light switch and get better cooling....that way it wont over work itself....and could be turned off.

i prefer the blow through, being that they usually blow more then they pull. if you take a fan and block the air sucking in, it will blow less air out. if it has full pull, it will find a way to blow out. unless completely blocked off.

QuadJunkies
07-05-2010, 12:55 PM
But once again its blockng the cooler and if for any reason the cooler fails, your are screwed very quickly. totally nervous about it ,but I do feeel this is a good mod. Have to think this one out I We do have ours hooked up to the lights as well.

QuadJunkies
05-21-2011, 08:46 PM
We finally just found the time to figure out the install on a Raptor 250 amd our testing it tomorrow .
We really wanted to try and keep things cool now since we have a very expensive motor build . lol :p
Not alot of ways to mount it on the 250 ... so we will see how it goes !

sterss361
06-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
for the 400ex guys, if you're running in very hot areas and have a modded engine, consider an FST style cooler. it reroutes the oil line between the pump and the top of the head into a separate auxiliary cooler. this way, the cylinder is always getting extra cooled oil. this in conjunction with a 4" spal fan has made mine very enjoyable on long hot rides.

We wants pics of that !!