PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki lt80 Rebuild ???

Duke450r
05-15-2010, 04:32 PM
O.K. guys, I have a 88 lt80 that was given to me to rebuild for a grandson, it does not run, and will be a substantial project. My first priority is to try to get it running and sound mechanically. So, I'll start with the engine, I pulled the jug, and the piston and jug were toast, no surprise (folded ring). What was a surprise was the whole crank compartment was filled with what appeared to be motor oil, it was golden in color and appeared to be new oil. Any ideas where it came from? Bad crank seals?

Thanks for the advice.

LT80
05-16-2010, 05:36 AM
I'm thinking that the motor was full of old gas/oil. Got varnished up. There is no way to leak oil into the bottom end IMO.

www.motorsportssupercenter.com for Suzuki parts. Best prices on the net that I've found.

Duke450r
05-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks Jack, that makes sense, I was so shocked to see that much fluid in the bottom end, that I went brain dead for a minute. I recall that the guy that gave it to me was determined that a carb issue was the reason that it wouldn't start, so they primed and pump the throttle a lot. So, with the folded rings and priming the carb I guess the fuel had to go somewhere.

Next question, with that much fuel/oil mix setting in the bottom end for a extended period of time, what other damage could have been done, and what should my course of action be? Crank bearings, crank seals, and connecting bearing problems? Would you drain clean and try it? Or, should I do a complete tear down and rebuild?

LT80
05-16-2010, 08:47 AM
The mix may have worked on the crank seals but doubtful.
I'd try it as is. :)

Duke450r
05-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks Jack, I appreciate the input.