PDA

View Full Version : Painting my own car...

Hondamaster5505
05-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Alright.. well.. I was planning on having my car repainted as I have the clear coat peeling on the rear quarter panels and hatch... but I didn't quite get the money I was hoping to have.

This isn't going to be one of those butchered Rustoleum paint jobs. I just want your opinions and insight, and if anyone else has done this before.

I saw this thread that gave me the inspiration. http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/body/546612-ultimate-budget-paint-job.html

I thought it seemed like a good idea. The tractor paint is pretty tough too.
My car isn't going to be a show car. I know one-steps lack some of the shine 3-steps do. But it still shines damn good for a high school kids daily driver.

What's everyones opinions? That color very closely matches my car so I don't have to worry about door jams and such.

We have a Binks spray gun and 2-stage compressor to do the spraying.

Next weekend, we're going to try doing my fathers hood to see how it comes out. (except in black) as his hood is in sad shape.

usp4u
05-15-2010, 09:08 AM
body man by trade here.

Absolute most important part is the prep. Remember your 7 "P"s....Proper Prior Preperation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Clean,clean, clean, then do it again.

Alot of people have trouble later with paint failure, this is usually due to using a home air compressor that allowed oil/contaminents enter the system. if you ever put oil in your compressor to keep the tank from rusting, its not fit to power a spray gun.

Hose the floor down when you start to control dust.

Hondamaster5505
05-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by usp4u
body man by trade here.

Absolute most important part is the prep. Remember your 7 "P"s....Proper Prior Preperation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Clean,clean, clean, then do it again.

Alot of people have trouble later with paint failure, this is usually due to using a home air compressor that allowed oil/contaminents enter the system. if you ever put oil in your compressor to keep the tank from rusting, its not fit to power a spray gun.

Thanks for the tips, I was hoping there would be a body man here to help with some pointers.

Yeah, I plan on spending a while with prep.

There's really no oil or anything that I know of in the compressor, but there is some moisture that has built up. We were going to drain it, and put some of those things in the lines to filter out the moisture (I forget what they're called)

So pretty much if I take the time to prep the body properly, that method of painting will work? That guy claims it's been holding up great.

fastredrider44
05-15-2010, 10:23 AM
You will need a good regulator as well to maintain steady air pressure. Body work and painting is an art. Patience will go a long way. I know you are worried about the money factor, but I've had a few friends do the body work themselves and then take the car or truck to a Maaco center and let them spray it. Just another option for you.

Hondamaster5505
05-15-2010, 11:17 AM
That's a possibility but I really don't trust those places.. I almost trust myself with a gun more then them. lol.

toby400ex
05-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Macco doesnt do a terrible job with the painting and all. Usually their work is crappy when someone doesn't pay for all of the proper prep work, as in removing all of the trim pieces, door handles lights and what not. Prep it yourself and remove everything than just have them spray it, shouldn't turn out bad.

Hondamaster5505
05-15-2010, 03:33 PM
How much would Macco charge if I did all the prep?

JR3
05-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by usp4u
body man by trade here.

i am a body man by trade my self and i couldnt have said it any better my self preperation is key anybody can spray paint but the preperation is key

Hondamaster5505
05-15-2010, 05:40 PM
I've actually been in contact with a guy locally, who does auto body and appears to do good work. The rest of the paint on my car is decent, so im working out a deal with him. Basically Im just going to have him re-do my rear quarter panels (where the clear coat is BAD) and thats it. Thats the only trouble spot. The best part is, he takes trades, so to keep cost down I might trade my ipod + cash or guitar + cash.

Here's how bad my quarters are. (Took pic to show him.)

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/Firebird009.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/Firebird010.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/Firebird012.jpg

In person, paint aint too bad on rest of car-
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/Firebird013.jpg

But me and my dad are still painting his truck, since it would cost a LOT to get that done.

CJM
05-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Roll on method, google it up!

Its actually quite awesome, I have seen many jobs and it looks dang near perfect if you do it right.

Basically you use brightside boat paint and you roll it on in light layers going over it to get rid of bubbles. Then you sand between coats and do like 3 coats and your done.

No clear coat to worry about, no priming to do, just taking your time doing it.

The paint is super tough since its meant for boathulls too!

05-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Roll on works great and so does the rattle can. Prep is the key as mentioned above. I've seen some spray paint jobs that look better than half the jobs that MAACO does. Take your time.

Hondamaster5505
05-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Ehh.. I really want to stay away from roll-on jobs or spray can jobs.. I mean I have a professional spray gun and 2-stage compressor, so why not use it?

And I might actually work out a deal with this guy to re-do my whole car. It really depends. He needs some cars towed and I need a paint job, so we might be bartering some services. (My father has the 3500 with a large car trailer)