PDA

View Full Version : Air box install HELP!!!!!!!!!

RapKor
05-15-2010, 08:08 AM
I installed a reverse intake and air box on my sons 09 DRR 90. I was able to make the nessicary modifications to fit the set up in the bike however I can not seem to get it jetted. Motor has been ported by Kool Kidz and we are running a Keihin PE 24 carb. Current jetting is a 125 main with a 38 pilot, seemed to run great with a 125 main and 44 pilot but we did the initial testing without the fenders and seat on , as soon as I put the fenders and seat on the machine had really strong bog off the bottom, went down to a 42 and 40 pilot (seperate tests) and the bog got less tried a 38 pilot and motor sounds good bog is still there but is much better, however now the plug reads lean ( grey read was cardboard brown) I did the plug read after several shorth 40 yard practice starts(no top end runs) This leads me to believe that it is a hair lean on the bottom my problem is it runs so crappy with the 40 pilot that I do not want to run it, altough after 30 feet the machine runs really strong. I would really appreciate any help you guys with this set up can give me I am pulling my hair out! Thanks

irwin3e
05-15-2010, 06:07 PM
my daughters 90 apex was ported by hetrick and i ran a 118 main and a 45 pilot with no problems.I also added some 1" press-in filtered air intakes to the back of the box.

hwf-racing
05-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Before the engine was ported my sons Apex 100 ran a 118/ 42 still ran rich. However, we run MX so we got rid of the reverse and are running a 120/45. The needle was too fat with the reverse, Good luck!!!!!!!!. How many turns is your air screw out?

RapKor
05-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Aie screw is 1/2 turn out. Machine does not idle well anymore either, it either idles too low (cold) or has a hanging idle (when warm). This is frustrating the machine seems to change from one run to the next, now at a 125 main with a 40 pilot air screw 1/2 turn out, still not satisfied. I appreciate any help you guys can give. Thanks

hwf-racing
05-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Your air screw should be min 1.5 out to 2 max. try clip position 2, 42- 45 piliot . Make sure carb is clean and I'm talking Kehin pwk24. PWK AND THE PE is much different so jetting will be different on main. The Drr guys will have better jetting on the PE. Where your at with your pilot is lean fatten it up!!!!!

hwf-racing
05-15-2010, 08:24 PM
I read your post on the DRR site. Did you make your boot? If you did,have you sprayed a starting fluid around the boot to check for a leak. make sure there is no air leaks. Could cause you headaches:mad:

FISH ON!
05-15-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm thinking maybe the seat is not letting the box get good air flow. I can't picture how you have it on the DRR but if it was good with the seat off and changed with the seat on, it seems it is choking the airflow and making it run rich giving you that bog. Apex has plenty of opennings under the seat for airflow. Our Apex is jetted much different than the DRR we use to have so I'm not sure where you should be. Take the seat back off and go back to the jetting that worked and try it again.................and put a new torque spring in.

RapKor
05-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks guys, the torque spring is new, and i did try the starting fluid trick while it was ideling and there was no change.Went with the 40 pilot ran about 40-50 laps at the local track today, ran real good with the 40 pilot still a bit of a bog off the bottom but I am thinking of cutting a couple holes in the back of the air box an plugging them with a couple snowmobile vents (1" bullseyes) Overall it is now a little fat on the bottom but I am close. Thanks again! I maybe back asking questions again soon as I plan on tunning this week!

hwf-racing
05-16-2010, 07:22 PM
I cut a 2" Inch hole in the rear of the alum airbox and bought some outerwear to fill the hole. Works good!!!!

camsdad
05-20-2010, 11:36 AM
the pe24 doesnt have enough slide cut away ,they are always rich on bottom,the reverse int amplifies the problem..cut the slide or buy leaner slide....youll probably end up 2mm less on cutaway by the time your done....good luck

redonkulousruntsracing
05-21-2010, 08:01 AM
or maybe you can find an Apex guy who took off their PWK 24 to use the 28mm carb. One shouldnt be hard to find and should cure your problems. It is what comes on the stock Apex 90 with the reverse air box.