PDA

View Full Version : My beloved 2004 400ex wont start

whatchagondo45
05-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Alright, heres the deal with my quad. I was riding last night, everything worked fine aside from the head gasket leaking oil slightly but thts beside the point. The starter button was hard to push a few months ago. U literally had to mash it for it to work. On my way home last night, i noticed the headlights only work on low beam, and were rather dim. Maybe due to mud on the headlights? So i go to start it up today, nothing happens. I double check the key is on, clutch is pulled in for starting it in gear, i even tried neutral. Nothing. No sound, not a thing. So i hooked up jumper cables and another battey, still nothing. So i think to grab a screw driver, put it in neutral, turn the key on, and "ground out" the solenoid. This works as the starter button used to. The neutral light also has not been very true for about 6 months. It will be in neutral but the light wont come on.

My question is; what is wrong with my quad that makes it not want to start? I was guessing the control cluster with headlights/high-low beams/starter button. Then i heard
maybe a fuse? Maybe the solenoid? Im lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. S

steve181
05-15-2010, 12:06 AM
replace the 15 amp fuse located in a little box to the left of ur battery, you have to pop ur seat off to see it

guenther
05-15-2010, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by steve181
replace the 15 amp fuse located in a little box to the left of ur battery, you have to pop ur seat off to see it

x2. Also move around your wires behind by your headlights and down by the steering stem. The wires rub and sometimes cause it to short out. You might need to trace the problem down and find a wire that has rubbed the casing off or a bulb is loose or cockeyed in it's socket. It happened to me on my '02 and is a common problem with the earlier models. Always keep about 5 or so spare fuses with you. You'll have a spare slot for an extra in the fuse holder where the fuse actually goes. You know you've popped a fuse when you're riding because you'll lose high beams and neutral light.

whatchagondo45
05-15-2010, 07:57 AM
very rarely ever use the headlights. What may have Caused the fuse to blow?
I rarely use the headlights and im much more worried about the starter. But ill check the fuses and wires.

guenther
05-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by guenther
You might need to trace the problem down and find a wire that has rubbed the casing off or a bulb is loose or cockeyed in it's socket. It happened to me on my '02 and is a common problem with the earlier models.

Eclipsemike
05-15-2010, 08:29 AM
my buddy was having a problem with his 400ex starting too. his problem was also the 15 amp fuse on the left aide of the battery. but his problem still continues i think just about every time the fuse or wiring gets wet from riding threw mud or what not... i think this may be something very similar to what is going on with your bike. if you can try things and if you figure it out please let us know cause now i am interested in what is wrong.

whatchagondo45
05-15-2010, 02:13 PM
I took a lot at it. I noticed my fuse did blow. So i swapped to the spare one, it worked great. Turn on the lights, low beams work. Highs do not. When i turn the highs on, the fuse blows again. I also noticed some pinched wires behind the headlights. Ill take a look at tht another day. I just have to remember to not turn the highs on.
I would look at the wires now but removing the plastics is a big pain and its needed to do it correctly in my opinion.