PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Fatal Crash ABS Brakes vs Non-ABS

05-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Video - Motorcycle Fatal Crash ABS Brakes vs Non-ABS (http://www.dpccars.com/motorcycle-10/05-11-10page-Motorcycle-Fatal-Crash-ABS-Brakes-vs-Non-ABS.htm)

Institute researchers compared the fatal crash experience of antilock-equipped motorcycles against their nonantilock counterparts during 2003-08. The main finding is that motorcycles with antilocks versus without are 37 percent less likely to be in fatal crashes per 10,000 registered vehicle years. Bolstering this finding is a separate analysis by the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI), an affiliate of the Insurance Institute. HLDI analyzed insurance claims filed for crash damage to motorcycles. Bike models with antilocks have 22 percent fewer claims for crash damage per insured vehicle year (a vehicle year is 1 vehicle insured for 1 year, 2 insured for 6 months, etc.) than the same models without antilocks. The results update earlier studies by the Institute and HLDI published in 2008. In 2009 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) announced that it was looking at the issue in light of the Institutes earlier study but stated that an additional year of data and additional analyses are needed to determine the statistical significance of the results.

derekhonda
05-14-2010, 08:06 PM
I already see the flaw in that data.

How many guys riding non anti lock brake bikes lay em down in a corner, slide out, and stand em up and ride them home or call a truck? No police, no report.

Also, to my knowledge they aren't putting anti locks on hardley anything, maybe a big cross country bike, with a veteran rider putting many safe miles on the bike.

Me personally, ill release the brakes manually.

Jake250ex
05-14-2010, 11:15 PM
yea, i worked at a honda dealer when the goldwing came out and thought, man thats a terrible idea. Imagine seeing something that pops out in front of you that your gonna hit upright versus locking up the rear brake and laying it down. Yeah, you get skinned up but you live.

Regular_Joe
05-15-2010, 09:24 AM
I really hate this misconception. Laying a bike down is about the WORST thing you can do. Its has to take at least 20ft to "lay a bike down". That is 20ft worth of slowing down you could do before contact. Also by laying it down you no longer have any control for steering or directing yourself around the object anymore. Please for the love of god don't do it.

Also as far as ABS, it is really only on bikes driven by statistically safer drivers anyway. The drivers most likely to get killed in an accident fall into 2 categories: ) young sportbike riders going like a bat out of hell 2) retired older folks on Harleys who haven't ridden since in their young 20's and think they "know how to drive". Of course none of the bikes these drivers ride have ABS. The current bike lineups that have ABS are almost all touring/sport touring bikes. The drivers who ride these bikes are already a safer and more informed group of drivers. These riders are there to ride, and they rack up tons of miles yearly compared to the other sportbike or Harley crowd that tend to be in it for local, around town, bar hopping, and show boating.