PDA

View Full Version : Lasik surgery

Scro
05-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Anybody had it done?

I'm tired of dealing with my glasses trying to ride/race, and I'm looking into having it done. However, I'm VERY squimmish when it comes to my eyes. I tried putting contacts in one time, and became sick to my stomach and turned white as a ghost trying to get them in. I would rather have a shot in the *** than to put eye drops in. Yes, I know it's pathetic.:p

I've heard that you are awake during the procedure, but they can give you oral sedative to help calm you down. Are you pretty much dead to the world with the sedative, or do you still have to be somewhat coherent?

patrickj75
05-14-2010, 11:48 AM
I had it done 10 years ago. I took the sedative but I didn't really feel anything from it. I was pretty relaxed thru the surgery though. I too tried contacts and hated thrying to put them in. I've had good luck with my Lasik so far. I'm sure the technology is better today than 10 years when I had mine done.

01 400EXer
05-14-2010, 12:20 PM
My wife had it done over a year ago and she is very happy. I will say after you have it done go home and sleep, your eyes will need the rest. I say this because unfortunately my son broke his foot the weekend before she had it done and we had to get a cast put on the same day. the appointments were at the same time and close to each other but geting my sons cast took a little longer than her surgery ( I was running between 2 buildings). By the time we got home her eyes hurt really bad and she had a hard time going to sleep. She slept a couple of hours and when she woke up the pain was gone and she could see better than when she wore contacts. She is glad she had it done as well as myself.

muddy400EX
05-14-2010, 01:01 PM
:eek2: <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7PJ391MDtpo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7PJ391MDtpo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Scro
05-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Ok, I'm sticking to glasses. I made it through about 2 seconds of that video.

juice420
05-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Ok!!! I'm no longer thinking of getting it done either!!!!

Hondamaster5505
05-14-2010, 02:38 PM
lmao, I was considering having this done until I saw that video. Make that x3 on keeping my glasses.

I too don't like contacts.. I don't even like getting eyedrops in my eyes. So glasses it is.

CJM
05-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Seriously? I have had worse done to other parts of me, either by accident or cause I needed it.

Its not that bad, just have them sedate you.

NacsMXer
05-14-2010, 08:40 PM
I had mine done about 5 years ago. I can tell you that watching that video is a lot worse than actually having it done on yourself.

They put numbing drops in your eyes so you don't feel a thing. The little clips that hold your eyelids open look like they would hurt, but it isn't that uncomfortable. The most I felt was a little pressure when the little suction device holds your eyeball in place so they can make a precision cut in your cornea. You don't feel the actual cut either. Then they peel back the flap and your vision goes a little blurry. After that the laser does it's thing (doesn't hurt either), and they fold the flap back down.

For me the most discomfort was directly after, on the ride home. I felt a pepper spray like burn on my eyes. Once home you are advised to go straight to bed. After a few hours nap, I woke up and the burning was gone. My vision was still blurry but I immediately noticed dramatic improvements in how well I could see. All the blurriness was gone by the next morning.

I went from being blind as a bat dealing with contacts everyday to having better than 20/20 vision (20/10). Everything in the world seemed sharper and it was very liberating not having to deal with the "contacts routine" everyday anymore.

IMO the slight amount of discomfort out of that one day was a good trade off for having years of perfect vision after. It's definitely a choice I don't regret.

GE4x4
05-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Whats the cost?

Scro
05-14-2010, 11:05 PM
I haven't checked into price, but I've heard close to $2500 per eye.

muddy400EX
05-14-2010, 11:07 PM
haha, sorry. didnt mean to scare you all away from it. awhile back i was curious about lasik, and youtube'd it and thats what i found:eek:

but ya, i wore glasses since i was like 5 years old, and about a year ago i decided i was sick of them and got contacts. was very wierd at first and took awhile to get used to, espcially since i cant wear the soft ones, cuz apparently my eyes are that bad,lol. but i love them now. ive never been able to wear sunglasses my whole life, so the first thing i did was buy some oakley shades.lol:cool:

Blizzard24
05-15-2010, 04:42 AM
my wife had her eyes done about 5 yrs ago, the price as $4500. She went from coke bottle glasses to 20/10 vision. The first day she said it felt like someone threw sand in her eyes, a day later she was fine.

PS they give you some very good drugs to take home w you (Vicodine).

Aarons 01 400EX
05-15-2010, 11:47 PM
I had my eyes done on 3/30/07 and it has been the best decision of my life. No more contacts or glasses! I see much better than i did previously.

I went in the day of surgery at 7:30 am, had my eyes checked again just to make sure everything was correct. I then went into the patient waiting room where you are put and they add the numbing drops and some other drops. I sat there for about 45 minutes waiting on the 4 people in front of me. I finally went in to the operating room at 9am. I laid down, they told me to calm down and began the procedure. I didn't feel a damn thing except for a little pressure, when they told me I would feel it. I remember freaking out because I was looking at the red light and then it disappeared, when they cut the flap. It quickly came back into view and they started on the other eye. I got up off the table at 9:07am, got my eyes checked again and walked out the door at 9:16. The scariest part of the whole thing was riding home with my wife, in the rain, 30 miles driving from St.Louis into IL. I came home, slept from 10:30 till about 4:30pm and I could see better than I did the previous day with my glasses.
I wish I would have done it sooner.

Two of my best friends just had it done and one had worn contacts for her life and the other has worn glasses his entire life, because he couldn't touch his own eye to put in contacts.

The price was right around $3000 for both eyes.

quad2xtreme
05-16-2010, 05:40 AM
I had mine done 12 years ago when the flap was made by a razor blade cut. Today, the procedure is even easier.

One eye is absolutely perfect and the other could use some correction but I've been putting it off wanting to make sure the technology is as good as it is going to get. Nothing is changing in the field for the next 3-5 years so I will likely get the one eye corrected in early 2011.

Contacts and glasses were such a PITA. So glad I had it done and would make the same choice again.

scottproquad
05-16-2010, 04:45 PM
wife had it done over 5yrs ago! it was 5000 total. she made payments and says it was money well spent!! I watched them do it threw a window. wa kinda neat! Wish I could do it! Didnt take very long at all! 10mins tops. 5000 in ten mins isnt bad money lol.

Aarons 01 400EX
05-16-2010, 10:22 PM
I forgot to tell you that I am 20/10 in my left eye and 20/20 in my right. I also got the lifetime warranty for my $3000 just incase I need any touchups down the road.

ATV Chic
05-16-2010, 10:28 PM
i would give anything to get this procedure. Most places will not perform it on diabetics though, esp type Is :ermm:

m0t0xk1d
05-17-2010, 09:49 AM
my mom just started working for a eye doctor doing their billing. one of the benefits she gets is that after a yer of working there, she gets this surgery done free.

flyboy1294
05-17-2010, 10:44 AM
I have worn contacts since the day they told me my eyes were bad. Doesn't bother me at all. I can touch my eyes all day long.

However, with that said, Lasiks scare me to DEATH. What if they slip? You're blind for life. I would rather lose both legs than my eyes. So unless they gave me some very powerful sedatives, I don't know if I could do it.

I also heard that after a few years your eyes will gradually get worse, is this true? Or is it an almost permanent fix?

I'm seriously considdering it. My family offered it as a graduation present from college. I won't be graduating for a few years, so I still have time to think. It sounds like a good idea, but I don't know if I have the balls to let someone cut on my eyes. Breaking bones doesn't bother me. Blood and gore doesn't bother me. But I'm about to be sick from watching that video.

gojk
05-17-2010, 11:26 AM
I had mine done about 5 years ago and it was the best decision I have made in a while. It cost $3100 for both eyes and I was 20/10 the morning following the surgery. The whole surgery took about 1 hr, and that includes the time to take the relaxer and give it time to kick in.

Most places don't even use a blade any longer. Mine was all done with laser. They cut the flap with the laser and then fixed my vision with a laser. It was all super easy and the discomfort was little more than getting chlorine in your eyes while in the pool.

Scro
05-17-2010, 11:46 AM
So when they numb your eye, can you still see out of it or are you temporarily blind? It wouldn't be so bad if I couldn't see what was going on.

quad2xtreme
05-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Scro
So when they numb your eye, can you still see out of it or are you temporarily blind? It wouldn't be so bad if I couldn't see what was going on.

you can see when it is numb. You can see througout the entire process except for the blurriness when the flap is folded back.

Scro
05-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
you can see when it is numb. You can see througout the entire process except for the blurriness when the flap is folded back.

Maybe I should have just had it done without asking about the details:eek2:

quad2xtreme
05-17-2010, 01:10 PM

:p

I equate eye surgery with going to the dentist for 2 fillings. I realize some people are funny about their eyes though. You can't feel it at all and it really isn't the least bit scary. Honestly the worst part is the numbing drops because they do burn for a few seconds...not nearly as bad a blister on your hand that you know is there yet you keep on riding.

NacsMXer
05-17-2010, 01:15 PM

Exactly. Like I said, it's a lot easier to have the procedure done on you than to watch how it's done. If you look too far into the actual procedure, it's easy to get grossed out/put off. I'll admit that I was a little nervous about the whole flap cutting deal going into it but I was surprised that it actually wasn't that bad.

The only time you lose total vision is while the suction tube holds your eye in place while the flap is cut. Your vision sort of "blacks out/fades out" for that couple of seconds. In a way it's better because I don't think I wanted to see the thing cutting my eye lol. Again, you feel no pain here, just a little pressure from the suction.

You can do it Scro, I know you can lol! You definitely won't regret it :macho

muddy400EX
05-17-2010, 02:10 PM
i cant believe this many people on here have had it done! lol

i would like to, but i dont know if i could. cause all i would think of is, "what if they messed up" lol

wild250rman
05-17-2010, 03:57 PM
I looked into the surgery for my eyes and was told I could not have it because my cornia's were to thin to do the procedure on, so I am stuck with contacts. Scro after a couple of weeks you get use to putting contacts in, i was like you, I still can't put drops in my eyes but can contacts "go figure" .I have a few friends that has had the procedure done and don't regret it or have had any issues. I would see if you are a candidate for surgery or give contacts a second try, the periphrial vision you gain is well worth the time.

400grl
05-17-2010, 05:58 PM
I have been kicking the idea of Lasik around for many years - never had the funding or the guts to actually do it. And I'm glad I didn't - because for some reason, my eyes are actually getting BETTER!

I've worn glasses/contacts since I was in 5th grade......contacts have always just been a part of life for me - annoying as hell in the dunes and for racing/riding, but you get used to it.....

This past year, I haven't been wearing my contacts (ran out, never bought another box) and my eyes are quickly getting better. I asked my eye Dr. why, and she said it just happens to some people. So now, some mornings I wake up with 20/20 vision....some mornings I wake up and it's a little worse..... but the number of mornings I wake up and my eyes are 20/20 are growing more and more frequent.

Wierdest thing.....guess I won't be getting Lasik after all!

wild250rman
05-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
I have been kicking the idea of Lasik around for many years - never had the funding or the guts to actually do it. And I'm glad I didn't - because for some reason, my eyes are actually getting BETTER!

I've worn glasses/contacts since I was in 5th grade......contacts have always just been a part of life for me - annoying as hell in the dunes and for racing/riding, but you get used to it.....

This past year, I haven't been wearing my contacts (ran out, never bought another box) and my eyes are quickly getting better. I asked my eye Dr. why, and she said it just happens to some people. So now, some mornings I wake up with 20/20 vision....some mornings I wake up and it's a little worse..... but the number of mornings I wake up and my eyes are 20/20 are growing more and more frequent.

HOPE THE GOOD LUCK KEEPS COMING FOR YOU. ALMOST BETTER THAN WINNING THE LOTTERY.:)

Aarons 01 400EX
05-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
I have worn contacts since the day they told me my eyes were bad. Doesn't bother me at all. I can touch my eyes all day long.

However, with that said, Lasiks scare me to DEATH. What if they slip? You're blind for life. I would rather lose both legs than my eyes. So unless they gave me some very powerful sedatives, I don't know if I could do it.

I also heard that after a few years your eyes will gradually get worse, is this true? Or is it an almost permanent fix?

I'm seriously considdering it. My family offered it as a graduation present from college. I won't be graduating for a few years, so I still have time to think. It sounds like a good idea, but I don't know if I have the balls to let someone cut on my eyes. Breaking bones doesn't bother me. Blood and gore doesn't bother me. But I'm about to be sick from watching that video.

There is no slipping. The machine is calibrated every 5 people so there is no risk of going blind.

Your eyes get worse as you get older. But you lose sight up close. That's why you see people with bi focals (if there sight is jacked up) or people that have reading glasses.

ky300ex
05-17-2010, 07:37 PM

Don't let the details scare you from having Lasik. I had it done 10 years ago and it was by far the best money i've ever spent. It was totally painless and i was in and out of there in 45 minutes or less. I would honestly rate eye exams worse than Lasik....i hated having my eyes dialated and whatever reason they shoot the puff of air into your eyes. The only drawbacks are the amount of eye drops that you have to use the following weeks after the surgery,no water in your eyes for a few days and wearing blinders (1 week) at night so you don't accidentally rub your eyes while sleeping. I went from not being able walk through the house without glasses to 20/20 the day of the surgery and my vision improved to 20/10 days after the surgery.

muddy400EX
05-17-2010, 08:34 PM

wish that would happen to me! haha

that would be kickass if i woke up one day and my vision was good. like you said, contacts are great until you ride and stuff, the dust still finds it way through the helmet and goggles:mad:

Scro
05-18-2010, 06:48 AM

I've heard of that happening before. This guy had worn contacts for so long that his eye actually conformed to the shape of the contact, and corrected his vision.

400grl
05-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Yeah, that's another way to "correct" your vision - my old boss wore gas permeable lenses at night, that would reshape his eyes temporarily while he slept, in the morning he'd take his contacts out and his eyes would hold the corrected shape all day.....he had to wear them every night, though - if he missed a night, his eyes would go back to their old shape....

This isn't like that. I haven't been wearing my contacts OR my glasses, and they are still just getting better.......

PhilMoore
05-19-2010, 09:43 AM
I would like to get that done, but can't due to problems with my cornea. I need a cornea transplant, but I am waiting until they can grow me one from my own stem cells.

Anyway, my little sister had lasik done, and it worked great for her, as far as her vision goes.

But, ever since she had it done, she has had problems with "dry eyes" and she has to use drops all the time.

brian76708
05-19-2010, 10:39 AM

that happened to my sister but then 5 years later they got worse again. I'm thinking about getting lasik done this summer but its hard to choose between that or a supermoto bike.

ZeroLogic
05-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
that happened to my sister but then 5 years later they got worse again. I'm thinking about getting lasik done this summer but its hard to choose between that or a supermoto bike.

Something that will last you a life time or a few years. :o