PDA

View Full Version : power/gas/spark

250ex_dan
05-14-2010, 10:40 AM
i was wondering if you used an NGK spark plug and 93 octane gas if it would give it noticeablr power.?

Baileygunns
05-14-2010, 03:45 PM
No.

ryanh250ex
05-17-2010, 11:50 AM
plugs typically don't make a big difference in power. And with stock compression premium isn't necessary.

250ex_dan
05-24-2010, 09:43 AM
what if there is an upgraded carbourtator

ryanh250ex
05-26-2010, 06:39 AM
As a general rule, the more modifications you do (i.e. the further you get away from stock), the more you'll need a good spark plug. I used NGKs, they are good. you still won't need 93 octane though.

MRJACK9
05-28-2010, 09:17 AM
If you are after power then “premium gas” works against you. To get a benefit from premium gas you need to raise compression. What makes power in gasoline is “BTU”s, heat. What burns is hydrogen. A basic gallon of gasoline contains 122,600 BTU, add ethanol the value drops, add MTBE the value drops to about 108,000 BTU. To make“premium gas ”, anti- knock suppressors are added to slow the burn rate, so knocking/pre detonation is retarded or eliminated. The piston only travels about a third of the way down the cylinder before the exhaust valve/port opens. So the faster the burn rate the more power before the ex. valve opens. The faster the burn rate the better the chance for pre detonation A vicious circle. Slight increases in power can be made by adding acetone or xylene, which contain extra hydrogen, to your fuel. ½ to 2 ½ oz per 10 gallons of gas, there will be an optimum amount, to little no help, to much no help and mileage will drop. Hydrogen injection can be added in the intake of engine for power increase. Also, but not on an ATV, if you try these combustion improvers on a computerized automobile engine, the benefits are short lived because the computer corrects the derived benefits out a day or two.

In your next post, you ask about MSD. MSD, a trade mark name, stands for multiple spark discharge.
I have no experience with this on ATVs, but I did add MSD on my 350 cu. in. Class C motor home
The engine runs much smoother and MPG rose ½ to ¾ of a mile, in both cold and hot weather. In this application, below 2400 RPM there are 4 spark pulses per firing and above, 1 spark pulse per firing. Also, the voltage level is raised 20-30% yielding a better chance to ignite the fuel charge each time.

250ex_dan
06-17-2010, 03:45 PM
o..thanks that was very helpful