PDA

View Full Version : guys can you help me out??????

honda01400ex
05-13-2010, 10:17 PM
ok so under the 400ex oem rear plastics there is a "u" shapped metal rod the supports the rear fenders from flopping around and burning on the exhaust pipe...well my original one vibrated lose while riding idk how but it did so i was like no bigger so i made a trip over to my local shop and ordered a replacement as shown in the picture and i went riding at durhamtown here in ga and it snapped in half....so i was pissed :mad: i went back and said that it broke on my first ride so they told me to order a new one so i did ....went riding and then again it broke....what the hell can i do to fix this??? i was gonna shave my rear fenders but that is my last resort!!! the oem one is not working!! does or can anyone make one at there shop out of stronger metal for me??? or can i make my own ? and if so what should i use?

thanks guys here is pic of the part :macho

MtnEX
05-14-2010, 02:36 AM
Hummm...

I'll look at mine tomorrow in the flesh.

bigbad400
05-14-2010, 05:34 AM
i have a custom subframe and had to eliminate mine, no big deal it never got burned. i set it sideways on my trailer and have gone 100 miles and never had a problem with them flapping too much. just a thaught

honda01400ex
05-14-2010, 06:38 AM
that looks like a possibliliy for me what did it take to do it?? and can you post more pics of that exactly you had to do

dustin_j
05-14-2010, 07:39 AM
I just took the piece out; my fenders are pretty floppy, but no issues so far.

Thumpin440ex
05-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Stock fenders should be fine, with out it.. If you have after market maiers, you need it. I wasn't going ot run one, but had to due to them hitting the pipe. I can't believe you have broke 2 of them. I had to bend mine some to get them in the rite spot to mount on my maier plastics and they were a ***** to even bend, let alone break

John

honda01400ex
05-14-2010, 01:09 PM
yeah thats why i was so damn mad cuz i freakin ride hard mx plus in 6'2 and 220 so iguess that stress from the big jumps and my weight combined broke them?:huh but i didnt car fro a whike until it burned almost a whole all the way through my plastics:mad:

nskukalek79
05-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Don't remove it, if you do and your jumping a lot your plastics will most likely start ripping off.

Maybe you could buy one more or take an already broken one and try welding some gussets on it...beef it up to your best ability. It's worth a shot

sc400ex_rider
05-16-2010, 09:46 AM
check that all the rubber bumpers and stoppers are in place maybe letting it flex from the seat. weird failure, something aint right.

honda01400ex
05-16-2010, 12:06 PM
i checked them all and there al there and in place

flyboy1294
05-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by bigbad400
i have a custom subframe and had to eliminate mine, no big deal it never got burned. i set it sideways on my trailer and have gone 100 miles and never had a problem with them flapping too much. just a thaught

BB400,
I'm interested in that subframe setup, can you provide some more info on it? (How does it work, how did you fab it up, etc?)