PDA

View Full Version : Front Sprocket???

lil_watz_ex
05-13-2010, 04:14 PM
I made a thread last Friday about my quad making an awful noise. After some debate and taking it to a local mechanic he assured me it wasn't coming from the motor or the transmission. (he was a small engine mechanic-doesnt work on quads but still looked at it) However he wasn't 100% sure what it was and thinks it might be coming from the front sprocket. It is more of a popping noise now, has anyone had this happen to you or do you have any ideas what it could be?

steve181
05-13-2010, 04:31 PM
does it do it on deceleration?

my moms 400 started something similer and i cant find it....

Scro
05-13-2010, 05:15 PM
What kind of shape is the chain and sprockets in? It does sound like a chain/sprocket issue. If the teeth on the sprocket is bending over any, and aren't straight, you probably need to replace both sprockets and the chain. Don't replace one without replacing the other. If you just replace the sprockets, the chain being worn will cause the sprockets to wear out even faster.

lil_watz_ex
05-13-2010, 08:49 PM
The chain is new, I had to buy it because the last one would keep coming loose. As for the sprocket I don't know what shape it is in because I haven't taken the chain off to look.

How hard is it to remove and replace the sprocket? I am willing to try anything before I go on riding trip next weekend.

slightlybent47
05-13-2010, 09:35 PM
So your saying that you put a new chain on a old sprocket set?
That could be the problem, I’d say if the chain was that worn then the sprockets are too.
There easy to change out and you should do that. Just get a cheap set that is made of steal.

GMC400ex
05-13-2010, 09:40 PM
when changing the front sprocket it shouldnt be that big of deal from what i understand (ive never changed the front) you should just take the nut off and replace it...as far as the rear you should have to take then left rear off and go from there at least thats how it was on my warrior...

nskukalek79
05-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I've always replaced my chain or sprockets when they need changed but never did them all at the same time. I always here people saying you have to do them all at the same time but i never once had a problem with anything prematurely wearing.
As for your problem, i would try replacing the front sprocket if it's excessively worn. My friend had a problem where the quad would make a popping noise every revolution the chain made. His chain was very old and a couple links weren't pivoting right. After a while the chain broke because of the stress. But since you have a new chain i don't really know what to tell you...maybe remove your chain and clean it and soak it in some oil and make sure every link pivots easily.

Oz24
05-15-2010, 07:13 PM
If you have never changed the sprockets before its not that tough. Loosen pinch bolts with an allen wrench on the rear of the swing arm. Lift the tires off the ground and loosen the chain by rotating the bearing holder if you have the special honda tool whatever or just use a large set of tounge and groove pliers. Remove the two bolts, drive sprocket cover with the carburetor drain hose, and the drive chain guide. Turn the rear axle bearing holder to obtain maximum drive chain slack Remove the bolt, washer and drive sprocket from the countershaft. Remove the drive sprocket from the drive chain.

Put it back together the way you took it off.