PDA

View Full Version : Is it really "THAT" slow?? See inside...

CEREBRAL
05-12-2010, 11:24 PM
All over the internet all I hear from "non" 400EX riders is how much of a dog it is. They talk about it being an antiquated POS.

Now I'm thinking that most of these riders are out to "PWN NoObS" at the drag stirp.:D Am I wrong??

Ok, drag racing: 700s, 450s, and similar quads (stock), how far will these pull a 400ex in a 1st through 5th drag? Riders being equal.

Same thing on an MX track with some tables, doubles and small triples. Again riders being equal and for one lap. How bad will the 400ex get beaten?

Same on trails with some semi-technical terrain and some decent hill climbs???

What I'm looking for is an unbiased, (no brand loyalty and such), honest opinion. This thread doesn't even really have to be about a 400ex, just quads in general and their best suited purpose.

All I hear is pipe this, cam that, bore that, chip this and so on ad nauseum!!!!:(

I really want to know, I have no experience with quads.

fishnfergie
05-13-2010, 12:01 AM
There is no replacement for displacement when it comes right down to it.

CEREBRAL
05-13-2010, 12:23 AM
That's the kind of thing I keep hearing. Is displacement really that much of an advantage on a pig of a quad in tight technical trails?? What if it's an inferior motor? See what I'm getting at? "All around" I just don't see an air cooled, reliable 400cc quad as being a disadvantage. It can't be "THAT" slow. I'm willing to bet that even in a drag race that a 700cc machine won't leave the 400 "sitting still". And is it that important to you/me to win a drag race?

tayyo789
05-13-2010, 01:13 AM
It depends on what you're doing. The 400ex will not be the fastest at anything. The best situation for it is in the woods, where it is just barely at a disadvantage to the new 450's. If the riders are equal. In a drag, it will do decent, but the new "fad" is to build a race ready quad from the dealership. So all these newer bikes are pretty much tapped out as far as performance goes when they are stock.
When people say they are killing the ex in a drag, its probably not by more than a few bike lengths. The real advantage of this bike, is its handling, and reliability. It is solid in every department, although not exceptional. Its the ideal all purpose machine.

tri5ron
05-13-2010, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by tayyo789
It depends on what you're doing. The 400ex will not be the fastest at anything. The best situation for it is in the woods, where it is just barely at a disadvantage to the new 450's. If the riders are equal. In a drag, it will do decent, but the new "fad" is to build a race ready quad from the dealership. So all these newer bikes are pretty much tapped out as far as performance goes when they are stock.
When people say they are killing the ex in a drag, its probably not by more than a few bike lengths. The real advantage of this bike, is its handling, and reliability. It is solid in every department, although not exceptional. Its the ideal all purpose machine. X2
And I'd add to that, saying the 400EX is about the most "modifiable" quad out there. There is a vast supply of aftermarket parts and accessories available, at reasonable prices.

fromtheside88
05-13-2010, 09:38 AM
I think alot of it depends on how u run personally. I have buddy who has a KFX 450 and when we drag just for fun we will beat me every time, but if we switched places, where he is riding mine and i'm riding his, he gets me off the start every time so I think a lot of it has to do with the way you shift and how quick you shift and things like that. I do agree that the exs are meant more for the woods than anything. I don't have a whole hell of a lot done to mine but it is a bear when it is in the woods. If i get on a straightaway I know i am pretty much screwed, until we get back into the woods at least.

vaget22
05-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Personally I say blah blah blah. My D!(K is bigger than yours. That's all they are trying to say. No matter what you are ridding there is always somebody that is willing to spend more money than you. Trust me, a 400EX is plenty fast enough to get yourself jacked up real good in a crash. Ride it and enjoy it for what it is and later if you truly feel its not fast enough, go buy a bigger D!(K.

....................Man, I wish it was just that simple. LOL :eek2:

bkelley
05-13-2010, 11:10 AM
I can't remember who, but someone has "Don't focus on how fast your bike is, focus on how well you can ride it." or something like that in their signature. Pretty much sums this topic up.

3or4HONDA
05-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by bkelley
I can't remember who, but someone has "Don't focus on how fast your bike is, focus on how well you can ride it." or something like that in their signature. Pretty much sums this topic up.

guenther
05-13-2010, 01:11 PM

I know a kid who is 13 on a stock 300EX that will toast 90% of all riders on a 450R, KTM, Can-am, Yamaha or anything else in the woods/trails. The kid just flipping floats :huh . bkelley is right, it's all in how you ride them. Especially for woods/trail riding. If you are looking for something on the drag strip, well that's a different story. Me, I could care less if my 416 doesn't have the top speed like a 450R, Banshee or Raptor. It will keep right up with or beat anything else in the woods.

bean2080
05-13-2010, 01:54 PM
400ex's are not the fastest, not the latest best quad out there but i know for a fact that a 400ex is one of the most bullet proof quads out there, im not saying the newer quads are not bullet proof but the 400ex sure does make a name for its self.

i have seen 400s beat 450s, it dont matter how many CC's you have, if you have more quad than you can handle, your gonna loose i bet a kid on a 300ex would beat you :blah:

guenther
05-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Damn straight! That kid leaves me in the dust all the time. Pisses me off too :grr: :D

leakyvoodoo
05-13-2010, 02:00 PM
I will agree. They will all kill. I have a 400 with 450 shocks,and carb with full exhust. Keeps up with my friends kfx 450 and a trx 450 though the woods.

CEREBRAL
05-13-2010, 02:02 PM
When people say they are killing the ex in a drag, its probably not by more than a few bike lengths. The real advantage of this bike, is its handling, and reliability. It is solid in every department, although not exceptional. Its the ideal all purpose machine.

That's what I'm talking about! A few bike lengths in a drag, that is NOT slow. "It is solid in every department, although not exceptional" I like that description alot!! Thanks for the input.

Originally posted by tri5ron
X2
And I'd add to that, saying the 400EX is about the most "modifiable" quad out there. There is a vast supply of aftermarket parts and accessories available, at reasonable prices.

I have noticed that; I would be mainly interested in suspension/handling, ergonomic and safety upgrades, not really power. Thanks!

Originally posted by fromtheside88
I think alot of it depends on how u run personally. I have buddy who has a KFX 450 and when we drag just for fun we will beat me every time, but if we switched places, where he is riding mine and i'm riding his, he gets me off the start every time so I think a lot of it has to do with the way you shift and how quick you shift and things like that. I do agree that the exs are meant more for the woods than anything. I don't have a whole hell of a lot done to mine but it is a bear when it is in the woods. If i get on a straightaway I know i am pretty much screwed, until we get back into the woods at least.

100% agreed. Thanks again, man!

Originally posted by vaget22
Personally I say blah blah blah. My D!(K is bigger than yours. That's all they are trying to say. No matter what you are ridding there is always somebody that is willing to spend more money than you. Trust me, a 400EX is plenty fast enough to get yourself jacked up real good in a crash. Ride it and enjoy it for what it is and later if you truly feel its not fast enough, go buy a bigger D!(K.

....................Man, I wish it was just that simple. LOL :eek2:

These are my thoughts exactly. I think that most of these guys (kids) are talking about straight drag racing, but they never confirm it. It's always just "my quad WiLL PwN YOu, a 400ex Is 4 gIRls!" I want the facts! P.S... Speak for yourself..... ;) Thanks again!

Again, I agree 100%. Thanks!

Originally posted by guenther
I know a kid who is 13 on a stock 300EX that will toast 90% of all riders on a 450R, KTM, Can-am, Yamaha or anything else in the woods/trails. The kid just flipping floats :huh . bkelley is right, it's all in how you ride them. Especially for woods/trail riding. If you are looking for something on the drag strip, well that's a different story. Me, I could care less if my 416 doesn't have the top speed like a 450R, Banshee or Raptor. It will keep right up with or beat anything else in the woods.

Yup, I knew guys on old XRs that would have to wait at the end of a trail for the rest of us to catch up, and some of these guys were on 250, 300, 400 and 525 KTM trail monsters! Thanks!

Originally posted by bean2080
400ex's are not the fastest, not the latest best quad out there but i know for a fact that a 400ex is one of the most bullet proof quads out there, im not saying the newer quads are not bullet proof but the 400ex sure does make a name for its self.

i have seen 400s beat 450s, it dont matter how many CC's you have, if you have more quad than you can handle, your gonna loose i bet a kid on a 300ex would beat you :blah:

Excellent points and I agree completely. Thanks!

Fellas, I agree with everyone and I completely understand that it can all be about the rider. I'm mainly looking for actual speed comparisons, riders being equal, conditions being equal, vacuum of space kind of stuff.:D Like tayyo talked about a "couple bike lengths". Then readers can form their own opinions taking into account their own abilities, styles and riding conditions. ya know?

I may not even end up with a 400ex, there's no telling what deal may be out there when I'm ready to buy. It just seems that the 400ex is the most picked on quad out there, yet so many people own them. So I know there's something going on.

I really appreciate all the info!

CEREBRAL
05-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by leakyvoodoo
I will agree. They will all kill. I have a 400 with 450 shocks,and carb with full exhust. Keeps up with my friends kfx 450 and a trx 450 though the woods.

That's good to know!! Thanks for the reply.

tayyo789
05-13-2010, 02:19 PM
You said you want handling and ergonomics?

400ex or 250r

MidnightBlade
05-13-2010, 02:55 PM
that would be SlightlyBent47
and as far as trail riding the 400ex will beat any liquid cooled thumper out there, and the drag strip it is close mine hangs 3 bike lenths behind my cuz's 09 ltr450. they can all kill you just as fast.

09RappySe
05-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by CEREBRAL
I'm willing to bet that even in a drag race that a 700cc machine won't leave the 400 "sitting still".

HaHa.. Thats what you think, I would'nt bet too much of your hard earned money.

tayyo789
05-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by 09RappySe

A couple bike lengths doesnt qualify as "sitting still"

slightlybent47
05-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Thanks so much for remembering my sig……That means a lot.

I think it all comes down to the rider, but I also think that there is a thing called useable power and that’s the key to getting it to the ground. The ex has good controllable power and that’s why it dose so well in most situations. Also most people that go head to head don’t take into consideration the type of tire and the condition there in.

Another thing that has a lot to do with getting good traction is having your shocks set up properly. If your suspension is bouncing up and down during acceleration then your not going to do as well as one that’s staying on the ground.

dan5
05-13-2010, 08:35 PM
I have to say I just bought a 2008 400ex.
I could have bought a 450 or any other bike .but I bought a 400 just for some of the reasons talked about here,reliability and the fact that its a great woods bike its not all about straight line aceleration

09RappySe
05-13-2010, 08:50 PM
A couple bike lengths doesnt qualify as "sitting still"

both being stock you won't stay within 2 bikes of a 700 and after that its not even a race.

tayyo789
05-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Have you even read the rest of this thread? About how straight line acceleration only matters in a drag race?

beastlywarrior
05-13-2010, 09:09 PM
you think thats bad you should see the crap i get for riding and competing on a warrior lol. even though it's a kick a#% warrior

bkelley
05-13-2010, 09:13 PM
A beastly warrior, you might say.

Thumpin440ex
05-13-2010, 09:35 PM
There will always be a faster better something out there.. Bottom line is that the 400 is by far a POS bike.. It is still one of the most pop selling quads ever.. It is oldschool water cooled, is a rock solid performer.. With 2 equal riders I would be willing to bet it would beat out a 700 cc bike in tight windey trails.. I will stick with it. I have had a 450r, to be honest I like the way my 400 handles, all around feel is over the r.. Maybe its just me lol BTW I have had a blast eting up kfx 700's and big 700-800 utility bikes.. Havn't had a chance to try out any 450's yet but my buddys have them with bolt on stuff, I will soon find out how my fred flinstone bike compares to the new gen of bikes.. :D When you can make it up through the woods, who cares if they can reel it back up some in the long straights.. If you want to all out drag, the ex isn;t the bike to go with

John

CEREBRAL
05-13-2010, 09:38 PM
You said you want handling and ergonomics?

400ex or 250r

Ohhhhhhhh man, a 250r! I never thought I would ride a thumper (back when I was riding dirt bikes) I loved 2 strokes, still do, but I want a thumper ATV for sure. I still would love to own a 250r in the future!

Originally posted by MidnightBlade
that would be SlightlyBent47
and as far as trail riding the 400ex will beat any liquid cooled thumper out there, and the drag strip it is close mine hangs 3 bike lenths behind my cuz's 09 ltr450. they can all kill you just as fast.

Nice!!! I just don't see why people think that an air cooled motor is bad?? I know you can lose some power when a motor heats up too much, but I think the motor in the 400ex has been MORE than proven.

Haha???? Really? Look, I'm not degrading the raptor at all, I may even end up with one. That's just the kind of response I'm talking about. There's a reason why I put "standing still" in quotes. By no means do I think stock for stock a 400ex would be a match for a Raptor 700, but giving up a whole 300CCs and only losing by a few bike lengths doesn't mean that the 400 is slow. I was looking for someone with a big bore to chime in, but I was hoping in a more informative way. Thanks anyway.

Originally posted by slightlybent47
Thanks so much for remembering my sig……That means a lot.

I think it all comes down to the rider, but I also think that there is a thing called useable power and that’s the key to getting it to the ground. The ex has good controllable power and that’s why it dose so well in most situations. Also most people that go head to head don’t take into consideration the type of tire and the condition there in.

Another thing that has a lot to do with getting good traction is having your shocks set up properly. If your suspension is bouncing up and down during acceleration then your not going to do as well as one that’s staying on the ground.

Great points, and tips! Thanks

Originally posted by dan5
I have to say I just bought a 2008 400ex.
I could have bought a 450 or any other bike .but I bought a 400 just for some of the reasons talked about here,reliability and the fact that its a great woods bike its not all about straight line aceleration

Congrats on the purchase! Can't wait to join the quad crowd.

Originally posted by beastlywarrior
you think thats bad you should see the crap i get for riding and competing on a warrior lol. even though it's a kick a#% warrior

I was actually looking at a Raptor 350, but it's just a little to small ergonomically for me. I bet you do catch crap, good for you, though!

CEREBRAL
05-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
There will always be a faster better something out there.. Bottom line is that the 400 is by far a POS bike.. It is still one of the most pop selling quads ever.. It is oldschool water cooled, is a rock solid performer.. With 2 equal riders I would be willing to bet it would beat out a 700 cc bike in tight windey trails.. I will stick with it. I have had a 450r, to be honest I like the way my 400 handles, all around feel is over the r.. Maybe its just me lol BTW I have had a blast eting up kfx 700's and big 700-800 utility bikes.. Havn't had a chance to try out any 450's yet but my buddys have them with bolt on stuff, I will soon find out how my fred flinstone bike compares to the new gen of bikes.. :D When you can make it up through the woods, who cares if they can reel it back up some in the long straights.. If you want to all out drag, the ex isn;t the bike to go with

John

Great post, and that's what I should have said earlier. If you're going to drag race all the time (and not just for the fun of it, we all do that) then a 400ex is NOT the one to go with.

JOHNDOE83
05-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Great post, and that's what I should have said earlier. If you're going to drag race all the time (and not just for the fun of it, we all do that) then a 400ex is NOT the one to go with.

I disagree....lol.

It is great at the drag strip....and just for racing your friends.

CEREBRAL
05-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
I disagree....lol.

It is great at the drag strip....and just for racing your friends.

We're talking stock here. Like I said in the above post, we all drag for fun. With your list of mods I'm sure it flys!:cool:

slightlybent47
05-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Let’s not forget the freak bike or freak motor. You can take 100 ex’s all stock and there will be a few that stand out and be faster then the others. For some reason they don’t all run the same. The same can be said for any make or model.
That’s what’s great about this sport, rarely do you here a rider say that it was his fault for loosing a race. They always find a reason why they lost, like blaming it on a mechanical issue or track conditions. It’s quite amusing actually. :D

bdiddy72187
05-13-2010, 11:30 PM
This last weekend my buddies and I went to florence to ride the dunes. I was ridin with a 05 450r with a rev box, full sparks exhaus,t and some fancy tunnel ram lookin intake, a predator 500 with full exhaust and other stuff that i had no clue you could do to a polaris, a 07 700r with the big 3. And my 02 400ex with a sparks key, air box eliminator w/ a k&n and full white bro E series exhaust.

In the tight dune trails I kept up with everyone of them. In the tree shots, my bike had to work a lil bit harder than theirs (then again i am 6'2" 260lbs, and the next heaviest is 200 on the pred.) but there wasn't a hole I didnt make it out of. WOT dune riding, I was right there in the pack.

But the area that I was absolutely impressed with was when we went to comp hill for a little drag action. I raced what ever came up next to me and the worse spankin I got was 3 lengths handed to me by my 150lb buddy on the 700r. I thought everything would be waxin me, leavin me standin, but it wasn't too bad. It sure was a ton of fun though. If I geared down a tooth up front and got some haulers, instead of my wore out sand sharks, I might do better.

tayyo789
05-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Dune riding, especially dragging, is 110% based on traction. In the dune trails, I spank everybody I ride with on my 400. But out on the hill, tires make more of a difference than power. Just going from a 8 inch rim to a 10 inch rim determines whether or not I make it out of some holes at Winchester Bay. Paddle count is huge as well. Fewer paddles give you more top end speed up those long hills, while lots of paddles give you that low speed hook up for steep technical climbs.
But thats a whole other realm when you start talking sand :macho

bdiddy72187
05-13-2010, 11:58 PM
I totally agree. All I've ever ridden is sand, but I grew up ridin a cookie cutter banshee. my first non banshee dune experience was on my crf450r, and i broke my femur. once i healed up, bought the 400 and have been havin way more fun with far less arm pump. lol. maybe I'll see you out there on that 650ex of yours over the summer.

tayyo789
05-14-2010, 12:04 AM
I'll be out on the 4th of july, and dunefest at winchester. If you hang out at the big hills, you'll probably see me

Muzzgit
05-14-2010, 09:13 AM
I ride with mostly bigger engine quads...DS650's and raptor 700 + YZF450 and a LTZ400 with a 440 kit. In the tight technical stuff no one gets away from me except one rider on his DS650 but he is FAST no matter what he rides.

The more open the tracks or dunes are, the more the bigger bikes get away from me, but as soon as we get to the tight twisty stuff I reel them all back in and I find on the whoops I want to pass most of them.

My 400ex with 450R shocks +2+1 arms and a steering damper handles really well in 99% the riding I do and I can't seem to find a reason to get something else except I lack power in the big dunes.

88dunerider
05-14-2010, 12:56 PM
i know its already been said but i backing this up , its all about the rider , weight , shifting , ect. you can take an exprienced rider and put them on any bike and you will get your moneys worth, 400exs are one of the best trail bikes , there just plain fun good jumping bikes , drags not so great unless its geared right but you put it up agains any 450 or 700 it will keep right up on trails and hills .

wrekd
05-16-2010, 08:59 PM
I had a 400EX before I got the Rappy. It had a 440 kit with every other go fast mod besides head work and it cruised pretty good. Then I sold that and got the Raptor with the Big 3 already on it. There is no comparison in a straight line. Especially in a top end run. My buddy owned the Raptor before I bought it off of him so I know 1st hand how my 440 stood up against the Raptor in a straight line. Not very well...lol...especially in the higher gears.

Now the tight/technical trails are another story. The 400 is probably the best quad I've ever ridden through the woods. Thats where he couldn't shake me no matter how hard he tried. Unless it got really rocky. (The stock 400 front shocks are complete garbage and would damn near rattle the teeth outta my mouth.) But other then that, the thing handled like it was on rails. You could definitely feel the weight difference between it and the Raptor too. The 400 was alot easier to throw around when jumping logs or crawling over big rocks. It was geared lower too which helped on the more technical stuff.

But with all that being said I would still take the Raptor over the 400. It does almost everything better. (where I ride)

JMO though guys. So don't go gettin all huffy puffy about it :p

T-Chad24
05-17-2010, 08:27 AM
I have a 400ex. I drag race it, and I race in trails through the woods. It is the slowest thing on drag, and track im sure. They are quick through the woods, and they can handle any kind of a beating you want to give it, but it is not the fastest.

ridgeracer
05-17-2010, 09:13 PM

This

04TRX400EX
05-17-2010, 09:38 PM
To this day I firmly believe there is no better package for the dollar than the 400EX. Sure, my race KTM will kick the crap out of my Honda in a straight line, but I can have just as much fun on one as the other, and the EX will run no matter what happens to it. It's not fussy like these high comp 450's :p

Back about a year and a half ago when I was fast and thoroughly enjoyed racing (read: before I crashed, broke my wrist, and lost all confidence in my abilities :D ) I ran my stock-motored 400EX in a team GP race. This race is what proved to me rider means more than quad. I chased down more than one 450R on my 400 because I could turn better, carry more speed, jump better, etc. Every time we hit a straight the 450's would pull me for sure, but I'd real them back in within a few turns.

Like others have said, someone will always have a faster quad than you. Just enjoy what you ride.

CEREBRAL
05-25-2010, 10:24 PM
I can't thank ya'll enough for all the info you have provided in this thread! Thank you all.:)

I am definitely sold on the 400EX, no doubt.

Now here's my dilema...........:confused:

There sure are some great deals out there! My "macho" side is starting to win in my decision making process and I am considering some different options. The 400EX is still number one, but I can pick up a TRX450r for about the same price. Raptor 700s are in my price range, too!

My funds are taking a little longer to come in than I had hoped, so all I do is go back and forth on which quad to grab when I am ready!!!!:rolleyes: ARRGHHH.. I know................ big problems, eh? :D

I'm going to start a new thread...........:ermm:

Muzzgit
05-26-2010, 09:28 AM
IMHO, Horses for courses!

Hardcore trail riding + occasional enduro & dunes ---- 400EX or LTZ400

Hard core trail riding + hard core enduro & dunes ---- 450R or LTZ450 or KFX450 or YFZ450

Hard core enduro & dunes + occasional trail riding ---- 700R

I like Jap Crap!:D

wrekd
05-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Pick a machine by how you like your power to come on. I ride mainly in the low and mid rpms and I like torque so thats why I went with the Raptor. The 400's are more mellow all around and the 450 are high strung and like to be revved.

MtnEX
05-28-2010, 11:31 PM

Fellas, I agree with everyone and I completely understand that it can all be about the rider. I'm mainly looking for actual speed comparisons, riders being equal, conditions being equal, vacuum of space kind of stuff.:D Like tayyo talked about a "couple bike lengths". Then readers can form their own opinions taking into account their own abilities, styles and riding conditions. ya know?

I may not even end up with a 400ex, there's no telling what deal may be out there when I'm ready to buy. It just seems that the 400ex is the most picked on quad out there, yet so many people own them. So I know there's something going on.

I really appreciate all the info!

Well, to get a straight answer it has to come from someone who has and has owned several different quads, and has really no brand loyalty.

THAT'S ME!

A 400EX is OK if you are just trail riding.
It's excellent if your skill level is lower too.

Myself I do the woods thing now and that is all. All of mine are set up XC, and I have no use for drag racing as it does not concern me.

HOWEVER, the 400EX is really no match for much. It is going on 12 years old so it's really no surprise.

As far as fun, I like it a LOT for really technical rides and it has just enough juice to be fun at most stuff... and I can ride it fast enough it the trails to keep right up.

HOWEVER AGAIN, when I ride my other machines and crawl back on my EX, I am really bored for a long while with the power, and catch myself really over-riding it's handling ability if I crawl off my KFX 450R.

It's nowhere near as snappy and quick from corner to corner as my Polaris 2 stroke or my KFX 450R and does not handle as well as my KFX.

Being the same rider, I am a lot slower on my 400EX.

So if you are fast on a 400EX, you'll be faster on a 450, 525 or 700... and that is just how it is.

Originally posted by wrekd
Pick a machine by how you like your power to come on. I ride mainly in the low and mid rpms and I like torque so thats why I went with the Raptor. The 400's are more mellow all around and the 450 are high strung and like to be revved.

And I totally agree with the above... How the power delivery is becomes very important depending on individual and where you are riding.

The 400EX is a strange animal and I am still trying to figure it out completely....

But for example, my KFX 450R has more TORQUE than my 400EX has horsepower.

But somehow the bore x stroke + sohc + flywheel weight + internal trans gearing = that the 400EX really shines down real low.

It is so stall resistant and torquey that it can almost thump right along slow like an auto clutch 4x4.

I can take it some really knarly places with no fear or problems that totally punk me out on my other two quads. I just cut a trail about a month ago with one section I can only go in the up direction with my 400EX.

The other two have to rev way up to pull it and I either punk out, or I stall out, or I get stuck... yet I walk right up first try with no fear and little effort on my 400EX.

I do wish I would have had a friend with a 700R that would have also let me ride his bike some. I might have went with the 700R on my last purchase.

krt400ex
05-30-2010, 08:19 AM
its slow. its unfortunate, but the bike is a dog. especially when it gets hot. a 450 will smoke it. a raptor 700 will beat it worse. my kx125 is faster than my piped 400ex was. considerably faster. my 450 is a hell of alot faster. not even comparable. feels like two 400exs put together

wrekd
05-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX

The other two have to rev way up to pull it and I either punk out, or I stall out, or I get stuck... yet I walk right up first try with no fear and little effort on my 400EX.

I do wish I would have had a friend with a 700R that would have also let me ride his bike some. I might have went with the 700R on my last purchase.

Thats the main thing that steered me away from the 450's. They have no low end grunt and are geared too tall for technical stuff. The Raptor is still geared a little too tall for really technical stuff but the low end grunt and better suspension makes up for it. You can lug the hell out of it without stalling. Still the 400EX was better in the technical stuff due to its low gearing. I felt more in control being able to go slower but would get stuck sometimes cause I would run out of gear if I needed to get the tires spinning. IDK its kinda hard to explain, but some of you guys that ride in the terrain like I do probably get what I'm sayin...lol

MtnEX
05-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by wrekd
Thats the main thing that steered me away from the 450's. They have no low end grunt and are geared too tall for technical stuff. The Raptor is still geared a little too tall for really technical stuff but the low end grunt and better suspension makes up for it. You can lug the hell out of it without stalling. Still the 400EX was better in the technical stuff due to its low gearing. I felt more in control being able to go slower but would get stuck sometimes cause I would run out of gear if I needed to get the tires spinning. IDK its kinda hard to explain, but some of you guys that ride in the terrain like I do probably get what I'm sayin...lol

Yeah, I understand...

It's internal trans gearing... and also probably a lot to do with a heavier rotating mass as well. Longer stroke, heavier flywheel, heavier everything...

My buddy has a TRX450R that he has a ton of money in... Pro level GNCC engine build, etc... And that brute has as much low end grunt as my 400EX while still having everything you'd expect from a 450. Maybe I can get him to divulge how he got so much grunt... if he even knows what change did it...

MtnEX
05-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
its slow. its unfortunate, but the bike is a dog. especially when it gets hot. a 450 will smoke it. a raptor 700 will beat it worse. my kx125 is faster than my piped 400ex was. considerably faster. my 450 is a hell of alot faster. not even comparable. feels like two 400exs put together

See... owners of both put it in perspective.
No reason to be one way or the other...
Just truthful...

TRXRacer1
05-30-2010, 02:30 PM
I think the truth has been spelled out quite well by others. In the used market there are some good deals out there for 400ex's but you will be behind the game a little when it comes to whipping the di(ks out. In the new market the 400ex is a HORRIBLE deal. It's a miracle that Honda even still sells new 400's.

Bottom line in my book depends on your maintenance skills. If you can do your own tear downs, inspections, shim work and don't mind a little extra service then the 450's are the way to go. If you want a machine you can strait up neglect and it still starts when you give it no love then you will never find a better ride then the 400ex. The down side if you pick that route is that a true stock machine will require more money to make competitive then it's worth. Find something with at least a good pipe, tires and front shocks.

tayyo789
05-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Think of it like this:

A 400ex is like that girl you knew in high school, who was really good looking, ant had a lot of friends, and everybody wanted to date her. The problem is, she hit her prime at 17, and now she gained a little weight, had a couple kids with a couple guys, and shes hitting on you at your 10 year reunion. What do you do?
You can go for it, and have hopefully a wife soon, have your own family, etc... But she's been left in the dust before, hence why shes still single but has two annoying kids, named Lack Of Horsepower, and No Reverse.
Also at the reunion are her ex husbands who claim she handles well (good in bed) and will last forever (faithful).

Everybody else thats there is recently divorced, and looking for a new spice of life (aka 450 or raptor) who is that hot, 19 year old daughter of your former principal sitting in the corner texting. Because honestly, why else go to a 10 year reunion?

Now you have a decision. Go with everyone else on the high maintenence broads, or stick with ol' faithful, and be content with what you're given, keeping in mind that to make this woman be competitive with the others, you'll need more than new plastic. You'll need a plastic surgeon, and they arent cheap. The choice is yours

krt400ex
05-30-2010, 05:27 PM
See... owners of both put it in perspective.
No reason to be one way or the other...
Just truthful...

lol well i loved my 400ex dont get me wrong. fun machine. really reliable. handled well and the power was plenty to have fun with. but in context to his question, my answer was just the cold hard truth lol. by comparison, its slow as balls

krt400ex
05-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Think of it like this:

A 400ex is like that girl you knew in high school, who was really good looking, ant had a lot of friends, and everybody wanted to date her. The problem is, she hit her prime at 17, and now she gained a little weight, had a couple kids with a couple guys, and shes hitting on you at your 10 year reunion. What do you do?
You can go for it, and have hopefully a wife soon, have your own family, etc... But she's been left in the dust before, hence why shes still single but has two annoying kids, named Lack Of Horsepower, and No Reverse.
Also at the reunion are her ex husbands who claim she handles well (good in bed) and will last forever (faithful).

Everybody else thats there is recently divorced, and looking for a new spice of life (aka 450 or raptor) who is that hot, 19 year old daughter of your former principal sitting in the corner texting. Because honestly, why else go to a 10 year reunion?

Now you have a decision. Go with everyone else on the high maintenence broads, or stick with ol' faithful, and be content with what you're given, keeping in mind that to make this woman be competitive with the others, you'll need more than new plastic. You'll need a plastic surgeon, and they arent cheap. The choice is yours

lmao i wish i could put this whole thing in my sig hahaha. cuz i so would

MidnightBlade
05-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Think of it like this:

Now you have a decision. Go with everyone else on the high maintenence broads, or stick with ol' faithful, and be content with what you're given, keeping in mind that to make this woman be competitive with the others, you'll need more than new plastic. You'll need a plastic surgeon, and they arent cheap. The choice is yours well mine would only have one annoying kid then, Lack Of Horsepower. she had an abortion with No Reverse in 05

tayyo789
05-30-2010, 06:01 PM
well mine would only have one annoying kid then, Lack Of Horsepower. she had an abortion with No Reverse in 05

True, true.
But would you still buy her a drink or 7?

MtnEX
05-31-2010, 01:03 AM
lol well i loved my 400ex dont get me wrong. fun machine. really reliable. handled well and the power was plenty to have fun with. but in context to his question, my answer was just the cold hard truth lol. by comparison, its slow as balls

Exactly...

I love mine too for a couple of specific reasons.
Heck I couldn't trade it... I tried.
Now I've been "going to sell it" for over a year.

It's great on tight technical stuff, and good on mixed rides with 300's, 400's, utes, etc. And it's nice to putt around on with the kids and such. And it is sporty enough to be a lot of fun.

It just wasn't quick enough for me.
It's a lot better than it was, but still not enough...

MtnEX
05-31-2010, 01:24 AM
Man, there is nothing wrong with NOT going 450....

That was my intentions when I bought the 400EX.

But looking back at my unique shopping experience, I was a FOOL!!!

I thought the 400EX was better looking, and might be tougher, and it was local and $1,000 less.

But I was a FOOL though because I could have gotten a literal new condition Z400 that literally needed nothing but it's still nipple new tires swapped out for 6 ply meats.

I could have done tires and the 400EX tube and aluminum box conversion.... and that all together with the factory Suzuki/Yoshimura stuff I would have probably been around 40hp. I probably never would have turned around and bought a 450.

Moral of the story is there is nothing wrong with not getting a 450... But if you don't.... get a Z400 (or cousin) or a 700R.

Muzzgit
05-31-2010, 07:32 AM
Considering the Raptor 700R is less than 20 pounds heavier than a 400EX but offers so much more grunt and HP, why would you consider a 450?

Now all we need Yamaha to do is bring out a desert racing 700R (wider) and we'd all be set. It's a rather expensive excersise to widen the 700R properly.

TRXRacer1
05-31-2010, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Muzzgit
Considering the Raptor 700R is less than 20 pounds heavier than a 400EX but offers so much more grunt and HP, why would you consider a 450?
Geometry and hp. The 450's win in both categories.

Jessem24
05-31-2010, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Geometry and hp. The 450's win in both categories.

or have hetrick build your 400;) then you walk all over them my dude

TRXRacer1
05-31-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Jessem24
or have hetrick build your 400;) then you walk all over them my dude That is until you find a hetrick built 450 my dude.

flyjum
06-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Or just put a crf450 in the 400ex and beat them all.

I raced a raptor 700 last weekend in a sand wash he had paddles exhaust intake and programer.

I told him I was a stock 400ex he was like sure ill race.

I had 18'' mx tires.

He was ahead at the hole shot by 12 lengths or so. As soon as I hit 3rd I passed him and grabed 4th and he was 10 lengths behind me when I let off and he was still on it and passed by.

2nd race was far worse he got me 2-3 lengths in start( this is upwash now)
I grabed 2nd and passed him and never let off till was toped in 5th (15/38 gearing around 80mph).

I looked back and I could not see his lights. I stop and wait for him he was like so far back I could barly hear him but he was still on it.
He stoped and we talked and asked what mods I had I was like a few he was like damn that thing is fast.

Also raced a ported CPI in frame drag piped banshee and beat him by 5-6 lengths from standstill and 8 or so from a 2nd gear roll. He was also on paddles. His freinds asked if I had reeds or something(idiot guy he was) I was like nope just a camed 400ex and rode off.

Muzzgit
06-08-2010, 04:50 AM
You have a 400EX frame with tricked up crf450 motor, sure that's impressive.

Very Impressive.

I'd love to see it.

But racing people and not being upfront about what you have?

Wanker.

krt400ex
06-08-2010, 05:18 AM
You have a 400EX frame with tricked up crf450 motor, sure that's impressive.

Very Impressive.

I'd love to see it.

Wanker.

what i find funny is that he has a liquid cooled engine and anyone who knows anything at all about quads knows that the 400ex is air cooled :rolleyes:

i LOL'ed when i read this... either that guy dont know is d**k from his thumb or else this story is a little far fetched

09RappySe
06-08-2010, 06:31 AM

Wanker.

I aggree..I hate it when people sandbag, and I come across it often, just because you ride a quad does not mean you know anything about them...and it is not a requirement....although it would not have worked on me, there are a lot of people who ride and are not motorheads. Be upfront with what you have, because in the end...it don't matter what you have, you will either win or lose.

06-08-2010, 06:35 AM
the 400 ex is not slow is all in what you do to it and how you ride it just go and look at my videos we are killing the 450s 700 rappys and 450s can ams and the videos dont lie. so for the ones that say the ex is for girls humm im at the track ever friday night and you could be the next one to go down to the lil 400 ex (girl bike)

09RappySe
06-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by ericcrip
the 400 ex is not slow is all in what you do to it and how you ride it just go and look at my videos we are killing the 450s 700 rappys and 450s can ams and the videos dont lie. so for the ones that say the ex is for girls humm im at the track ever friday night and you could be the next one to go down to the lil 400 ex (girl bike)

You are not running a 400, you are running a 440 and video's don't show mods....I am willing to bet all these raptors you are beating are stock , If I remember right, you are running around 8.6 sec in the 1/8th on pavment , a 3 mod raptor ran 8.51 @ 74.6 MPH in the 1/8th on dirt which will be slower than pavement.
So being fast or slow is all about perception....to me, there slow, to you maybe not. I know I would put a pretty little dent in your record :D .

06-08-2010, 04:01 PM
yes we was running 8.6 and 8.54 with the stage 2 cam but now we are running 8.40 flat so we are putting it down with the lil 400ex-440ex its doing a hell of a job for what it is. we have people come up and say way is that thing ? and when i say its a 440 thay tell me theres no way not running like that.

06-08-2010, 04:11 PM
and we still have more that can be done like +1 valves,stroker kit,and lighten it up it is a stock frame and stock arms and swing arm.

MtnEX
06-08-2010, 08:47 PM

yes we was running 8.6 and 8.54 with the stage 2 cam but now we are running 8.40 flat so we are putting it down with the lil 400ex-440ex its doing a hell of a job for what it is. we have people come up and say way is that thing ? and when i say its a 440 thay tell me theres no way not running like that.

and we still have more that can be done like +1 valves,stroker kit,and lighten it up it is a stock frame and stock arms and swing arm.

Here's some things that just are not setting in for you though...

Not too many quad riders do their main riding on 1/8 mile. You'll beat a lot of people just because they are not accomplished drag racers.

All you are going to have to do is run into just ONE z400, 450, 525, or 700 owner that is also an accomplished drag guy... and you will have your *** handed to you.

I know a guy with a Polaris 400 that would hurt your feelings :muscle:

Take a z400, 450, 525, or 700 and invest what you have in your 400EX... Big bore it, cam it, etc... totally different animal...

I stock to a big bore build on my KFX is worth a 21 hp gain dude. You can pretty much gain a whole 400EX engine output if you really do it right.

At some point you gotta accept the truth that the 400EX is a good machine, but in comparison it is slow stock v/s stock and it is slow modded v/s modded.

TRXRacer1
06-08-2010, 09:09 PM
What MntEX said. :D

MtnEX
06-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
What MntEX said. :D

Thanks...

And I forgot to include the 500 by the way...

That engine is a hoss also...

Recall I was going to buy an Outlaw 500 IRS to begin with... like a year before... what a mess that turned out to be...

Funny part is, after a year of shopping off and on, I ended up right back at the very same dealer again, and that's where I bought my KFX450R from.

I've been wanting to trade them my 400EX for a leftover Outlaw, Raptor, Scrambler or KFX700.

But right now I am dead broke, and my wife actually tried her very first manual transmission anything... I talked her into trying to learn on the 400EX... she finally broke down since the Polaris 400 has been down a while waiting on parts.

So I may end up keeping it around for the extra wife/kids/buddy quad. I don't know if anything else with a clutch is this easy to ride/learn.

CJM
06-08-2010, 11:01 PM
The biggest thing is why people even care how fast it is. I can understand if your into drag racing, but honestly its a sport machine and meant to have fun on.

Hell, I had a suzuki 230 sport and moving up to a 400ex was really nice. However I was able to keep up to a friends big bore CR250 when we trail rode on that little thing.

People need to stop making all this fuss about being fast. You wouldnt try and drag a camaro or mustang to a corvette now would ya? So why compare a 400ex to a quad that literally has 1.-2x the power output.

MtnEX
06-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by CJM
The biggest thing is why people even care how fast it is. I can understand if your into drag racing, but honestly its a sport machine and meant to have fun on.

Hell, I had a suzuki 230 sport and moving up to a 400ex was really nice. However I was able to keep up to a friends big bore CR250 when we trail rode on that little thing.

People need to stop making all this fuss about being fast. You wouldnt try and drag a camaro or mustang to a corvette now would ya? So why compare a 400ex to a quad that literally has 1.-2x the power output.

EXACTLY... But people keep right on insisting on comparing the 400EX...

It's a fine machine... has enough power and speed to be fun... and is really good at tight technical trails for a sport machine...

But it's no Z400, 450, 500, 525, or 700.

Everyone knows you can mod a 400EX.
But too many people want to "up-class" it.

You absolutely have to spend a fortune and totally MAX-MOD a 400EX out to a 440 plus the works, just to start getting into the neighborhood of a stock 450.

And once it gets up to temp it's going to start to fade away fast outside short drags.

And it's not going to last and stay at that power level long. And we are talking thousands in motor work here...

It just don't make any dang sense.
I bought a new 450 for $200 more than a new 400EX.

I still prefer my old 400EX on the tight technical stuff, riding with utes, riding with slow riders, playing with the family, etc...

My only reason for upgrading was I was just bored with the 400EX outside of that. When I flicked my thumb down hard, I just wasn't getting the response from it to get my adrenaline pumping. Basic mods gave me just enough more to piss me off... and I just knew no matter what I did to the 400EX, my thumb would still be reaching sometimes. I rode 2 strokes for too long.

I've proved that theory right too, because I've modded my KFX 450R. I have to be up in the 40's & 50's with light switch throttle response to cure that "thumb reaching".... and be there on pump gas and long term... Far beyond what the 400EX can be taken to.

I respect the 400EX for what it is...
And I don't try to make it what it is not...

flyjum
06-09-2010, 06:26 AM
i was not even like that ha

One of the banshees guys freind stoped me in the wash and told me to race him.

He was the one who said its a stock 440ex( dmp covers say 440ex on the side). He must have been retarded to not see its water cooled. He was talking trash saying 400ex's are super slow and I would get "burned". I was like maybe but ill try.

I just went along with it. Ive seen them before they always try and race anything and cant accept a loss.

They go crazy when they race and win jumping up and down and yelling you got "burned". They raced my freinds lt250 the week before and beat him and acted like they were the fastest thing ever. These are the kind of people they are.

If you ever go to sycamore creek here in AZ you most likely have ran into them.

The guy on the raptor was cool I told him what I had done after we raced and he told me.
I even helped him pull his truck out before we raced.

Anyways it not sandbagging. I tell them I have a 400ex that is all(which is true its a 400ex).

IF they ask mods I tell them some people know and say no its a 450r and I tell them its not and tell them its a crf450.

My cousins boyfreind had a crazy sleeper of a atc.
81' 250r ith a cr480r jug and piston and a black in frame drag pipe still air cooled still all stock looking. He won alot at the sand drags with that thing since everyone thinks the air cooled 250's were so slow.

06-09-2010, 06:43 AM
this is to mnt ex the quads that we do run are guys that drag there bikes as well so they are good at what they do so u come out and we will hand your *** to u with that 440 and as fare as drag racing its no diffrent then trying to get the hole shot off the gate to get in to the turn first. so stop and think about what your are saying befor you say it cuz you will only make your self sound like a *****$$$$$. dirt or street is the same its how can get to the turn or end of the track same thing.

06-09-2010, 06:55 AM
what is racing ? its all about who can get the best start off the line and stays out front no matter what kind of racing you do. mx racing,woods racing, cx racing, sand drag racing and all out drag racing. its all the same just win no matter what.

Hondamaster5505
06-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by flyjum
i was not even like that ha

One of the banshees guys freind stoped me in the wash and told me to race him.

He was the one who said its a stock 440ex( dmp covers say 440ex on the side). He must have been retarded to not see its water cooled. He was talking trash saying 400ex's are super slow and I would get "burned". I was like maybe but ill try.

I just went along with it. Ive seen them before they always try and race anything and cant accept a loss.

They go crazy when they race and win jumping up and down and yelling you got "burned". They raced my freinds lt250 the week before and beat him and acted like they were the fastest thing ever. These are the kind of people they are.

If you ever go to sycamore creek here in AZ you most likely have ran into them.

The guy on the raptor was cool I told him what I had done after we raced and he told me.
I even helped him pull his truck out before we raced.

Anyways it not sandbagging. I tell them I have a 400ex that is all(which is true its a 400ex).

IF they ask mods I tell them some people know and say no its a 450r and I tell them its not and tell them its a crf450.

My cousins boyfreind had a crazy sleeper of a atc.
81' 250r ith a cr480r jug and piston and a black in frame drag pipe still air cooled still all stock looking. He won alot at the sand drags with that thing since everyone thinks the air cooled 250's were so slow.

WHY do people insist on using banshee's as examples all the time and acting like they're all that?

By the way, there are so many factors to that race between you and the banshee you mentioned earlier.. By the sounds of the guy he was a moron that didn't know how to tune it in properly.

Eric, HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY think you're faster then all these new bikes? WHAT GOES ON IN YOU PEOPLE'S HEADS??? I never understood it and still can't. It's like a disorder.

Just for comparison, basic bolt-on banshee's run in the mid-8's 1/8th mile.. And they're right around the same level as bolt-on 450's, with bolt-on 700's being even slightly faster. So you mean to tell me, that say a heavily ported banshee with drag pipes set up and tuned in correctly, or a 450 with a stroker, or high compression, porting, and cam, or a raptor 700 with a big bore, cam, and porting, is SLOWER then your air-cooled 440ex?

NO. NO NO NO. NOOOOOOOOO. PLEASE, just take some time and look at the reality.

I know I said I wouldn't blow up again, I do apologize, I just can't believe it.

tayyo789
06-09-2010, 01:51 PM
He was talking about Banshees cuz he was at the dunes, and when you're at the dunes, people have Banshees. I know a ton of retarded people who have Banshees. They've asked me about what cam they should use. Just because they ride a certain bike doesnt make them smarter than anyone else

Hondamaster5505
06-09-2010, 03:16 PM
He was talking about Banshees cuz he was at the dunes, and when you're at the dunes, people have Banshees. I know a ton of retarded people who have Banshees. They've asked me about what cam they should use. Just because they ride a certain bike doesnt make them smarter than anyone else

I never said they're smarter then anyone else? haha. I know there's a lot of stupid banshee owners, that think a banshee makes up for being a poor rider. My point is, even when its not the dunes, people always use banshee's as examples, and even if the persons riding it is a complete idiot, they act like it's the banshee that's a slow pos.

But to be honest I wasn't that upset about that, I was upset over what that ericcrip guy keeps posting. Some people really think their crap don't stink.

tayyo789
06-09-2010, 03:24 PM
He says he's trying to promote drag racing, the future of our sport......

In another thread I redirected toward a drag racing forum. If he races one of their Banshee's he won't be talking about his 440 anymore. Those guys run the 300 in 4 seconds

06-09-2010, 05:41 PM
look if you watch the videos you can see that it dose what i say it dose. just cuz you cant get what ever you ride to run like we can get it to run is your prob. the dame videos dont lie and if you was to come to the track where we run we will make you under stand what we can do. hell your more then welcome to come out and run with us .

guenther
06-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Blah blah blah. ericcrip, no offense but it's always the same thing over and over and over again from you. I'm unsubscribing to this thread so I don't have to read it anymore. Good day.

MidnightBlade
06-09-2010, 07:01 PM
You are not running a 400, you are running a 440 and video's don't show mods....I am willing to bet all these raptors you are beating are stock , If I remember right, you are running around 8.6 sec in the 1/8th on pavment , a 3 mod raptor ran 8.51 @ 74.6 MPH in the 1/8th on dirt which will be slower than pavement.
So being fast or slow is all about perception....to me, there slow, to you maybe not. I know I would put a pretty little dent in your record :D . and YOU my friend are not running a stock 700 either. read your sig

Hondamaster5505
06-09-2010, 07:07 PM
look if you watch the videos you can see that it dose what i say it dose. just cuz you cant get what ever you ride to run like we can get it to run is your prob. the dame videos dont lie and if you was to come to the track where we run we will make you under stand what we can do. hell your more then welcome to come out and run with us .

Actually, video's do lie, a LOT. That's a really ignorant statement to say they don't lie.

You mean I can go dress like Sasquatch and run across the road on video, and that means he's real?:rolleyes:

Now HORSEPOWER and TORQUE, along with a GOOD RIDER don't lie.. and that's the damn truth. You are NEVER going to make a 45hp 400ex faster then a 60+hp 450, banshee, or raptor. PERIOD. I'm done with your stupidity and ignorance. Good bye.

MtnEX
06-09-2010, 07:15 PM
And back when I was younger and the 400EX was just growing into a 440, I had a crazy race mod Warrior build that was a 440 killer.

So what is the point?

If you can't read that and "get it" then I will see if I can remember a parts list for you and you can build a Warrior that is faster than what you have now... LOL...

Hondamaster5505
06-09-2010, 07:18 PM
And back when I was younger and the 400EX was just growing into a 440, I had a crazy race mod Warrior build that was a 440 killer.

So what is the point?

If you can't read that and "get it" then I will see if I can remember a parts list for you and you can build a Warrior that is faster than what you have now... LOL...

haha those FST 446 warrior kits can make some power.

MtnEX
06-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Actually, video's do lie, a LOT. That's a really ignorant statement to say they don't lie.

You mean I can go dress like Sasquatch and run across the road on video, and that means he's real?:rolleyes:

Now HORSEPOWER and TORQUE, along with a GOOD RIDER don't lie.. and that's the damn truth. You are NEVER going to make a 45hp 400ex faster then a 60+hp 450, banshee, or raptor. PERIOD. I'm done with your stupidity and ignorance. Good bye.

Right... now take the trans and stuff out of it... and here's a better story...

I've been racing and riding ATV's since '86.

My wife had a MONTH on my Polaris Sport 400 when she started with the "roll-on" drag play.

She smoked me riding my then totally stock Polaris... And that was with me giving everything I had... even on pavement... pulling the front and running the dog**** out of the 400EX.

She could pull me and stay in front of me AT-WILL until she ran out of nerve for the speed.

The 400EX is slooooooow...

Hondamaster5505
06-09-2010, 07:25 PM
WOW. I just watched those "video's that don't lie" You have to be kidding me.

The first one, I don't even know what you were racing and whatever it was, ran out of gearing big time.

The can-am, looked like a factory bike. It was probably just piped. Woah, big deal, you beat a factory 450 that wasn't even set up for drag racing.

Third video, the raptor wasn't riding aggressive at all. It looked like he was taking a sunday stroll and sitting perfectly upright.

I'm not even going to say a thing. Just wow. lol.

Hondamaster5505
06-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Oh, and I guess video's don't lie, so explain this one please.:)

Built to the hill 465ex (the guy used to be a member on here, that bike RAN) vs a bolt-on banshee.

Seems none of you 400ex guys ever comment on this video when I post it.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ju2gBlIgyF0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ju2gBlIgyF0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

09RappySe
06-09-2010, 07:50 PM
and YOU my friend are not running a stock 700 either. read your sig

No kidding....I don't need to read my sig....I built it and I wrote it, and I never claimed to be, but what was said earlier on a different post was eric could beat ANY raptor with his 440, and still claims he will smoke me..For that matter, my LTR would take him out; What I was talking about was he said that a 400ex was not slow, using his bike as a standard so I was saying they are not comparable because his is not a 400.

09RappySe
06-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Double post, sorry

MtnEX
06-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Oh, and I guess video's don't lie, so explain this one please.:)

Built to the hill 465ex (the guy used to be a member on here, that bike RAN) vs a bolt-on banshee.

Seems none of you 400ex guys ever comment on this video when I post it.

LOL... smoked by a 2 smoke...

06-09-2010, 08:33 PM
mtn ex your in nc right is there a track there that will let quads run if not you can come to union county drag way.GPS Location

Use this address for GPS Navigation
2102 Santuc Carlisle Hwy - Union, SC 29379

Photos by Official Track Photographer - Chris Jones

i will be there friday 7pm-11pmcome out and have fun. if you like bring the quad and try it out. and if you need any help im willing to do what i can to help.

tri5ron
06-09-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm pretty sure that if I put 2 extra psi in the tires,...

91 octane with 4 tablespoons of Marvel Mystery oil,....

and 1 tablespoon of crystal Drano in the tank,...

turn off the headlight,.....

and lean down forward Reeeeeaaaaaalllly low,......

my wifes 250ex will put a whoopin' on ya' really baaaaddddd.

06-09-2010, 09:13 PM
lol lay off the drugs and tricks are for kids lol.

John Noftsinger
06-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Im sure a drag built(frame/tire,s/wheelybar) 465 can beat a stock raptor but thats about it once the raptor gets pipe/filter/fuel controller its all over ! My Z stock (just airfilter) beats 416,s/440,s allday. in dunes its a joke racing anybody with a ex and claiming wins agains,t 450/700,s Please! Ive looked and haven,t seen any vids of these SUPER FAST EXS! If you ever notice the riders agains,t ANY winning ex,s aren,t trying or dont know what there doing !and then the EX riders post these vids of them winning agains,t a nonrider/someone not trying!It so funny !

flyjum
06-09-2010, 10:07 PM
WHY do people insist on using banshee's as examples all the time and acting like they're all that?

By the way, there are so many factors to that race between you and the banshee you mentioned earlier.. By the sounds of the guy he was a moron that didn't know how to tune it in properly.

Eric, HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY think you're faster then all these new bikes? WHAT GOES ON IN YOU PEOPLE'S HEADS??? I never understood it and still can't. It's like a disorder.

Just for comparison, basic bolt-on banshee's run in the mid-8's 1/8th mile.. And they're right around the same level as bolt-on 450's, with bolt-on 700's being even slightly faster. So you mean to tell me, that say a heavily ported banshee with drag pipes set up and tuned in correctly, or a 450 with a stroker, or high compression, porting, and cam, or a raptor 700 with a big bore, cam, and porting, is SLOWER then your air-cooled 440ex?

NO. NO NO NO. NOOOOOOOOO. PLEASE, just take some time and look at the reality.

I know I said I wouldn't blow up again, I do apologize, I just can't believe it.

The banshee was tuned on a dyno by kenz cycle tech. It put down 61whp the guy said. It was runing great sounded healthy. I was thinking I would get beat badly but my power to weight and torque beat him(both races were upwash torque helping me).

Banshees are the example to use because they are fast with just pipes and a port very fast. They are the fastest bikes with least amount of mods put in them. They can make 60+whp with Basic mods. The key is having them dialed in.
Raptors can make 50whp with exhaust intake and programmer. They are like the new banshee in terms of speed. Stock they are pretty slow as is anything. They gain alot with mods mainly high rpm power.
Stock exhaust on quads suck badly.
450r can gain 13whp with a nice ehxaust and even more of a diffrence in high rpm.
Also I ran 59mph in the 300'' top of 3rd gear only ran a 5.5 but my 60'' was 2.4 seconds. Dont run dirt tires at the sand drags lol

Look how much a stock 450r gains from exhaust only.

Hondamaster5505
06-09-2010, 10:25 PM
flyjum, I do apologize, you have me stand corrected. I just noticed your signature now, I was thinking it was just a fairly stock crf motor at first. After seeing what you have, it's easy to believe you beat him. Same horsepower range.

Banshee's and Raptors definitely have a crapload of potential. And I have respect for 450's, especially when they're done up like yours.

I wanna see ericcrip run a 421 cheetah. haha. I bet he would never talk about that race on here, because he would have his butt handed to him. 85+ hp vs a 400ex with 1/2 the power, 400ex aint got a chance.;)

06-10-2010, 06:34 AM
my 60' time is 1.698 and my 330' is 5.67 and my 660 is 8.476 and that on the drag strip with slick. so your 2.2 or what ever it was on dirt is not much dif. then mine its harder to do it on the strip then dirt just add in the facters.

09RappySe
06-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Your times will be faster on pavment than on dirt because on dirt there will be wheel spin where on pavement you have nothing but traction. I can't comment on how much faster because I do not race on pavement.....that is for cars....dirt machines should race in the dirt where they belong.

06-10-2010, 07:24 AM
you are funny my 440 as you call it can out run stock stangs

Hondamaster5505
06-10-2010, 07:27 AM
you are funny my 440 as you call it can out run stock stangs

You call that impressive? lmao. My banshee can out run stangs.. that's not that hard to do:rolleyes:

You're a funny dude my man.

06-10-2010, 07:38 AM
some one came on some time back and said i was funny cuz thay could not out run there uncles vet so my 440 could not be that fast. that why i put it out there. lol

Hondamaster5505
06-10-2010, 07:39 AM
some one came on some time back and said i was funny cuz thay could not out run there uncles vet so my 440 could not be that fast. that why i put it out there. lol

Hilarious. I'm dying on the floor laughing right now. It's uncontrollable.:ermm:

Hondamaster5505
06-10-2010, 07:58 AM
What I love the most, is how you think you can beat most everything, even 4mil banshee's.

Now, as you should know, 4mil isn't even breaking the surface as far as what a banshee's capable of. It's just your basic mild stroker motor on stock cases and everything.

Lets see you run 6.1 at 110mph tough guy. If you signed up at atvdragracers you would be humiliated.

By the way, it's the guys wife riding it.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYp-J6epQJI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYp-J6epQJI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Same bike.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Ok4uVrFsGM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Ok4uVrFsGM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here's you average banshee. Not set up for drag racing AT ALL with JUST bolt-ons, and a horrible launch, still hit 9.0. With a better launch he would have been in the 8's no problem. On a stock piped banshee. lol.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IxayOZzllKU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IxayOZzllKU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

dirtman91386
06-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Hondamaster5505
~DMC-4OOEX~

just tries to get arguments going

and ill bet that "stock" banshee has a lockout... ant now way a stock clutch would hold that!

JOHNDOE83
06-10-2010, 08:01 AM
bolt on banshees like hondamasters....only run 9s in the 1/8th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydEtTrF4x4E&feature=related

Hondamaster5505
06-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by dirtman91386
Hondamaster5505
~DMC-4OOEX~

Not trying to get arguments going, just showing this guy that his poop DOES stink. Notice I haven't been making any personal insults or attacks. ;) Not to mention most people here agree that he's in the wrong.

Under the DMC name I lost it and started making personal insults a lot. I'm not looking to get banned again so i'm just arguing facts vs facts. Nothing wrong with that.

Hondamaster5505
06-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
bolt on banshees like hondamasters....only run 9s in the 1/8th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydEtTrF4x4E&feature=related

With horrible wheelies off the line:) Which requires letting off the throttle. Plus it doesn't say how fast their launch was.

Hondamaster5505
06-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by dirtman91386
Hondamaster5505
~DMC-4OOEX~

and ill bet that "stock" banshee has a lockout... ant now way a stock clutch would hold that!

Why is that? Every bolt-on banshee I have rode or encountered is just fine with the stock clutch. Mine doesn't slip at all when hammering on the streets or launching:confused:

Hondamaster5505
06-10-2010, 08:15 AM
You know what? I'm just going to agree to disagree. I don't know why it took me so long to realize this but im never going to change your minds, and you won't change mine.

Peace.

flyjum
06-11-2010, 12:09 AM
My bike is not at all setup for drag racing its a TT bike.
I still want to try the 1/8th mile tho.
What mph are you getting?
Im getting right at 60 mph in the 300' with a HORRIBLY bad launch on sand with no paddles.
a 1.6 is nearly 1 second faster they my 2.45
The lauch is what counts we are runing the same speed by the 300 foot. That means I had to pull 1 second or so from 60 feet to 300 feet.
I wonder what I could run in the 1/8th on hoosiers.

krt400ex
06-11-2010, 04:51 AM
You know what? I'm just going to agree to disagree. I don't know why it took me so long to realize this but im never going to change your minds, and you won't change mine.

Peace.

dude, they are ripping on you because you completely went off topic, took the thread, and changed it over to banshees. everyone and their brother knows that a banshee is a quick bike. what 350cc twin cylinder two stroke engine wouldnt be?

the goal of this thread was the discuss the power of the 400ex. not the banshee. there is no "changing anyones mind" here. no need to be. this is the 400ex section, and the topic is about the 400ex.

we dont need to see videos of drag banshees and hear how they can beat a mustang. most reasonably powerful quads can beat a decently quick car off the line. its power to weight ratio my friend. may i humbly suggest staying on topic next time, and you probably wont encounter issues with anyone.

you love your banshee. we get that. we love our quads. i love my ktm, the other guy loves his ltr, the other guy his 400ex. we arent hear to make converts or bash other peoples toys, we're here to hold discussion and get along in the great family of atv riders. if you wanna post about your 'shee, then take it to the banshee forum. or even the open forum. leave it out of the 400ex section.

Kurt

dirtman91386
06-11-2010, 06:35 AM
wow very well said!!!!

Hondamaster5505
06-11-2010, 06:56 AM
dude, they are ripping on you because you completely went off topic, took the thread, and changed it over to banshees. everyone and their brother knows that a banshee is a quick bike. what 350cc twin cylinder two stroke engine wouldnt be?

the goal of this thread was the discuss the power of the 400ex. not the banshee. there is no "changing anyones mind" here. no need to be. this is the 400ex section, and the topic is about the 400ex.

we dont need to see videos of drag banshees and hear how they can beat a mustang. most reasonably powerful quads can beat a decently quick car off the line. its power to weight ratio my friend. may i humbly suggest staying on topic next time, and you probably wont encounter issues with anyone.

you love your banshee. we get that. we love our quads. i love my ktm, the other guy loves his ltr, the other guy his 400ex. we arent hear to make converts or bash other peoples toys, we're here to hold discussion and get along in the great family of atv riders. if you wanna post about your 'shee, then take it to the banshee forum. or even the open forum. leave it out of the 400ex section.

Kurt

Well said, and I get that. But just a side note, I wasn't just talking about banshee and wasn't the one who started the whole argument about why his bike is slower.;)

Eric

06-11-2010, 03:42 PM
well it wasnt me.