PDA

View Full Version : will they work?

fasterblaster09
05-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Well I been searching for sand tires for my 450r, and I gave up on finding some skat trac for a good price, then I found these. THey are skat trac dominator extremes, 10 paddle, BRAND NEW NOT USED on BRAND NEW itp rims, size 22/11/8. And the front BRAND NEW also on brand new itp rims. Got the front and back for $175, was this a good deal? Now the problem is, I doubt my bike will turn them. It has a full curtis sparks, k&n(no box), and dynatec chip. I have not much experiece with sand, so what do you think?

O yea, and another problem, they are for a yamaha lol, I will have to drill holes. so will they turn them?

atv fan 28
05-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Thats too much tire! but for that price i wouldnt have passed it up.

troybilt
05-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
Well I been searching for sand tires for my 450r, and I gave up on finding some skat trac for a good price, then I found these. THey are skat trac dominator extremes, 10 paddle, BRAND NEW NOT USED on BRAND NEW itp rims, size 22/11/8. And the front BRAND NEW also on brand new itp rims. Got the front and back for $175, was this a good deal? Now the problem is, I doubt my bike will turn them. It has a full curtis sparks, k&n(no box), and dynatec chip. I have not much experiece with sand, so what do you think?

O yea, and another problem, they are for a yamaha lol, I will have to drill holes. so will they turn them?

I have run a similar rear paddle set-up on my 450r, the 10 paddles Kenda Dominators, and they were too much... You won't notice it much until you drag race. They were too much tire off the line and would bog for a moment, but once you're going they hook like you're on dirt... You'd be fine unless you plan to only drag race... You could always turn a profit on them and get some 22x11X8 7 paddle haulers, those seemed to be the paddle of choice... I'm running 8 paddle haulers now, wish I would have got the 7's, but found a deal and couldn't pass up myself.

You got a heck of a deal on those, now you should use that saved money and upgrade pistons and port work to get the power to turn them... LOL...

fasterblaster09
05-13-2010, 04:37 PM
I would if it wouldn't be $400 to port it lol. Could I just go down a tooth up front? or would I need to go down? I plan on eventually boring it and porting it, hopefully within next few months. My brother in law used 10 paddles on his stock 450r, and I know he was doing good against the other modded 450s. Im sure I could take off easy and once I get rolling really get on it, to stop it from bogging

fasterblaster09
05-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Im putting a +4 swinger on it, would this better accomodate me for these paddles? or make it worse? or wont make a difference lol

DnB_racing
05-15-2010, 09:36 PM
if your looking to maintain high rpms it will make it hookup more but loose rpms so it depends if your looking for fast starts or good traction

fasterblaster09
05-16-2010, 07:44 AM
where its going to be important is when im drag racing at the dunes, that's what going to be doing 90% of the time

DnB_racing
05-16-2010, 08:06 AM
if its mainly for drags then sprocket down the front and play with the back sprocket until you can get a high rpm lanch in 2nd gear you want those rpms at max at all times you can use any tire with the right sprockets. its going to take some experimenting to find the perfect combination so try front sprockets first and go only as small as you need the go and still be able to crank out a good launch. I do a little sand drags in maine and i got mine to 5.35 in the 300' but thats faster then I want so im going to slow it down im going to run a 12 tooth front next time so I dontr have to run against the top fuel class they are at 5.7 seconds or under and dialed in tight my quad was the only 4 stroke in the modified class last race I had no chance in that class

DnB_racing
05-16-2010, 08:19 AM
I take that back there were two 4 strokes in the modified class mine and the heavily modified cannondale that im a full quad length ahead of at the finishing line

fasterblaster09
05-16-2010, 10:18 AM
so put the +4 swinger, and drop a tooth up front, and I should be ok with the 10 paddles? I know it will need to be fine tuned, I just can't go riding every weekend so I want to be as be as ready as possible, I don't want to waste a trip not being able to launch

DnB_racing
05-16-2010, 10:38 AM
ya the drop in front will definatly help and see if there is any drop in rpms check your 60' time if its not under 1.8 then you stll need more bottm end. Whats your time been in the 300 and whats your 60' been and top speed? if this is the first with this setup save your slips and they help you see your week spots

fasterblaster09
05-16-2010, 10:49 AM
I've never been to the dunes with the 450 yet, and there won't be any lights or times, just comparing against others on the line

DnB_racing
05-16-2010, 10:59 AM
that's alright the slips just help a little but if the rpms drop at all on your starts then you'll need to drop more in front. or bigger in back and unless you have some high performance mods you will probably need in the ball park of 12 tooth in front and 39 rear. I have 13.5 piston stage 2 cam open air kn filter 168 main 50 leak and im running 21 skat trac haulers with 14 in front 38 rears and my 60' still wasn't what it should be im going to try a 40 rear or the 13 front next race I have 8 paddles

tayyo789
05-17-2010, 03:42 PM
What kind of sand are you running in? What dunes are they?
Desert dunes, coastal dunes, wet, dry, it all makes a difference