PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas on usfs approved quiter exhaust

sum12nv
05-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Looking at buying exhaust for my bone stock 400ex and was wanting some opinions from you guys. I need something usfs approved and I dont want anything ridiculously loud and would also prefer a silencer thats black or carbon fiber (sorry I know very picky) :D Ive been eyeballing the HMF Competition series since its basically adjustable but didnt know if anyone had any other suggestions or ideas. Also mainly just looking for a slip on to fit my budget at the moment.

Thanks!

honda400ex2003
05-12-2010, 08:57 PM
yosh with a quiet core is a carbon one. t-4s are not bad at 95 dbs. the q4 is supposed to be the quietest around at 91-93 dbs. lexx is supposed to be pretty good, along with just about any with any quiet core in them. hmf would be good with a core in it also. most are around 94-96 dbs with a quiet core at least. the quietest you will find without is around 95 dbs. some are a bit less than that. it just depends on what you get. go to ctracing.com then you can see some of the exhausts and the db readings they have to get an idea of what you would like to get. steve

guenther
05-13-2010, 01:25 PM
I drilled about five or six 1/4" holes in the inner plate of my stock exhaust. I also drilled them around the outside of the stock cap and trimmed the steel from the inner ring that the cap covers so the exhaust could escape through. It has better throttle response than stock and isn't loud at all. When I am around my home or at an ATV park, I use this and never get a complaint from anyone. When I'm racing I'll use my R4 and that sumbeaoch is loud. I did a plug chop both ways and the plugs looked nearly identical so I don't need to switch jetting (larger than stock). Just an option that won't cost anything but a little wrench time.

honda400ex2003
05-13-2010, 01:28 PM
after installing my q4 today, I say it is a great exhaust if you are looking to be stealth on the trails! you wont have any issues with it anywhere. steve