PDA

View Full Version : the view from 5000 feet under water

JIM GRACE
05-12-2010, 05:16 PM
kinda a boring but shows whats been happening for last couple of weeks

http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2010/05/12/bp.crater.plume.gassing.clean.cnn.html

631kfx400
05-12-2010, 06:40 PM
terrible:eek2:

bens250ex
05-12-2010, 10:31 PM
i dont remember why they just cant shut it down but seems like poor engineering for sure since they didn;t think more about emergency situations.

Robin Hood
05-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by bens250ex
i dont remember why they just cant shut it down but seems like poor engineering for sure since they didn;t think more about emergency situations.

They had a chance to put an emergency valve in for around $500,000 - $1mil when they constructed it but they opted out. Doesn't seem like that bad of an idea now huh? Specially since they made a few billion dollars over the last quarter alone...

bens250ex
05-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Robin Hood
They had a chance to put an emergency valve in for around $500,000 - $1mil when they constructed it but they opted out. Doesn't seem like that bad of an idea now huh? Specially since they made a few billion dollars over the last quarter alone...

welp what a holess ll can say. should have been manditor. i mean come on something was bound to happen and they would need an emergency shut off...:huh

One_Bad_400
05-15-2010, 03:18 PM
thats why i dont run a kill switch on my quad. i'd rather take the chance in it going on and hitting a truck or something then spending the $30 for one. $500,000 to them is probably $30 to me. http://www4.shoutmix.com/smileys/blush.gif

destey
05-16-2010, 07:08 AM
I read they've had all kinds of problems with the blowout preventer since 2004. Sounds like they swept the issues under the rug for financial reasons. They had no business expanding oil drilling as Obama wanted with these issues going on. This was a catastrophe waiting to happen

edit: here's what investigators found (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/12/AR2010051202190.html)

bens250ex
05-16-2010, 05:38 PM
man my keyboard must have been wacked cause that was some crappy wording on my part

hendershot106
05-17-2010, 09:39 AM
You all must be complete idiots. They cannot physically drill any well without a blow out preventer and a set of emergency shutoffs on a well of that nature.

THE EXPLOSION BLEW ALL OF THAT UP!!! THATS WHY IT IS SUCH A HUGE PROBLEM.

Typically, as in this situation... there is a large BOP (blow out preventer) stacked on top of a set of rams....rams that can shear through drill pipe in the event that the rig takes a fluid or gas "kick" to seal off the wellbore to prevent further flow or damage..... when the explosion is great enough to damage all of this.... it is one hell of an explosion... typical BOP's for a 3000 ft deep well in wv....you have to lift with a winch....and are very large.... ie....3-5ft tall by 3' diameter.... all drilling rigs set these up for safety measures....

To better explain it to you all...think of it this way... imagine a drilling rig on land.... takes a large oil and gas kick and explodes...this rig is setting on a hillside...and the hill slips away after the explosion - this will rip off the wellhead, bop, rams, and damage the Surface casing (the first and shallowest set of pipe) unusable and unenterable.... now imagine the same problem 5000 ft deep ....and that is what BP has.

IF you have no clue on a subject DO NOT comment.....

How would you like a bunch of politicians commenting on atv racing and riding regulations when they dont even ride a effin atv.... oh thats right.... WE DONT LIKE IT....

And furthermore... lets all complain about the ecological impacts and decide to shut down all offshore drilling just because the president wants too... what a complete idiot.... lets shut down one the main industries in our country responsible for how much of our nations income??????

THank you to all who voted for Obama...... He needs to be more worried about the wars he is continuing to fund.... and less worried about shutting down oil and gas drilling to line his campaigns from "Green is Clean" promotion crap.

Anyone else have anymore comments about this topic BRING IT ON..... again....dont comment if you have NO CLUE...

Dustin Hendershot
Engineer for #1 oil producer in WV

<DRS>GPF
05-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by hendershot106
You all must be complete idiots. They cannot physically drill any well without a blow out preventer and a set of emergency shutoffs on a well of that nature.

THE EXPLOSION BLEW ALL OF THAT UP!!! THATS WHY IT IS SUCH A HUGE PROBLEM.

Typically, as in this situation... there is a large BOP (blow out preventer) stacked on top of a set of rams....rams that can shear through drill pipe in the event that the rig takes a fluid or gas "kick" to seal off the wellbore to prevent further flow or damage..... when the explosion is great enough to damage all of this.... it is one hell of an explosion... typical BOP's for a 3000 ft deep well in wv....you have to lift with a winch....and are very large.... ie....3-5ft tall by 3' diameter.... all drilling rigs set these up for safety measures....

To better explain it to you all...think of it this way... imagine a drilling rig on land.... takes a large oil and gas kick and explodes...this rig is setting on a hillside...and the hill slips away after the explosion - this will rip off the wellhead, bop, rams, and damage the Surface casing (the first and shallowest set of pipe) unusable and unenterable.... now imagine the same problem 5000 ft deep ....and that is what BP has.

IF you have no clue on a subject DO NOT comment.....

How would you like a bunch of politicians commenting on atv racing and riding regulations when they dont even ride a effin atv.... oh thats right.... WE DONT LIKE IT....

And furthermore... lets all complain about the ecological impacts and decide to shut down all offshore drilling just because the president wants too... what a complete idiot.... lets shut down one the main industries in our country responsible for how much of our nations income??????

THank you to all who voted for Obama...... He needs to be more worried about the wars he is continuing to fund.... and less worried about shutting down oil and gas drilling to line his campaigns from "Green is Clean" promotion crap.

Anyone else have anymore comments about this topic BRING IT ON..... again....dont comment if you have NO CLUE...

Dustin Hendershot
Engineer for #1 oil producer in WV

wow... it seems everyone here should be grateful youre here to "educate" us with your vast knowledge of offshore drilling in west virginia..

and what a way to open.. "You all must be complete idiots.".. ill bet youre a real hit at the family reunions..

so mr obvious... why did BP fail to have a means of preventing this fiasco?
is it just too much for us ATV riding rednecks to understand??
or is it that you cant tell us without killing us??

seems to me the technology exists to have stopped this and the driller simply wasnt required to use it and allegedly failed to maintain what safety equipment was required... again...

extremeblastr
05-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
wow... it seems everyone here should be grateful youre here to "educate" us with your vast knowledge of offshore drilling in west virginia..

and what a way to open.. "You all must be complete idiots.".. ill bet youre a real hit at the family reunions..

so mr obvious... why did BP fail to have a means of preventing this fiasco?
is it just too much for us ATV riding rednecks to understand??
or is it that you cant tell us without killing us??

seems to me the technology exists to have stopped this and the driller simply wasnt required to use it and allegedly failed to maintain what safety equipment was required... again...

i would just like to thank you for living up to the title of "complete idiot" what part of these things were there and in use but were damaged by the explosion don't you understand?

hendershot106
05-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
i would just like to thank you for living up to the title of "complete idiot" what part of these things were there and in use but were damaged by the explosion don't you understand?

Exactly why i didnt even bother responding to him..... Im just a dumb west virginian...... with no knowledge of offshore drilling.....

destey
05-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Link to AP article on fed inspections of the rig (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100516/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill_inspections)

Where was big govt when we needed it?

<DRS>GPF
05-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr

wow... another of significantly higher intellect to help explain it to us "lessers" that simply dont have your years of expertise..:rolleyes:

so genius.. in your infinite knowledge base, as i asked before, why didnt they have other devices to stop this?..
now instead of adolescent namecalling, pehaps you can answer the question.(or can you..?)

the BOP's are said to have been too far and too few to to do the job.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/12/AR2010051202190_2.html?sid=ST2010051102889
"the shear ram, the strongest of the shutoff devices on the blowout preventer, was not strong enough to cut through joints that connected the 90-foot sections of drill pipe and covered 10 percent of the pipe's length."

says here there are other devices that are required in waters other than the US's.
http://www.oil-rig-explosions.com/story_4-29-2.php
"According to a report in The Wall Street Journal, an acoustic switch is a remote control device that a crew can use in an attempt to trigger an underwater valve that shuts down a well that’s damaged. The switch is meant as a last resort, as the primary shut-off systems almost always work on wells when they are out of control. It can be triggered from a lifeboat if an oil platform has to be evacuated.

According to the Journal, U.S regulators did consider requiring the acoustic switch on offshore wells, but drilling companies resisted because of its cost, and questions about its effectiveness. To be fair, the switches have never been tested in real-world situations, only simulations. U.S. regulators also maintain they are prone to causing unnecessary shutdowns."

so... anything but snarky comments from either of you two stellar humanitarians?

<DRS>GPF
05-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Exactly why i didnt even bother responding to him..... Im just a dumb west virginian...... with no knowledge of offshore drilling.....

you(and your apparent counterpart) are the ones lowering the thread to namecalling..

destey
05-18-2010, 08:28 PM
why are we drilling 5 miles out and 1 mile down when we have oil right here on shore? ANWR and a few other places

Quad18star
05-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Imagine if something like this would have happened up in the Arctic under thick ice. Then we'd be in big trouble.

Robin Hood
05-18-2010, 11:54 PM
For the record - this is what I meant to post before but I didn't have the link.

http://www.examiner.com/x-38220-Orlando-Independent-Examiner~y2010m5d2-500K-device-may-have-prevented-oil-spill

If what I posted wouldn't have helped stop the spill then I apologize. But for the record Hendershot, not all of us work on oil rigs for a living. No one called you a dumb west virginian, but you sure are a short tempered dick.

hendershot106
05-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
wow... another of significantly higher intellect to help explain it to us "lessers" that simply dont have your years of expertise..:rolleyes:

so genius.. in your infinite knowledge base, as i asked before, why didnt they have other devices to stop this?..
now instead of adolescent namecalling, pehaps you can answer the question.(or can you..?)

the BOP's are said to have been too far and too few to to do the job.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/12/AR2010051202190_2.html?sid=ST2010051102889
"the shear ram, the strongest of the shutoff devices on the blowout preventer, was not strong enough to cut through joints that connected the 90-foot sections of drill pipe and covered 10 percent of the pipe's length."

says here there are other devices that are required in waters other than the US's.
http://www.oil-rig-explosions.com/story_4-29-2.php
"According to a report in The Wall Street Journal, an acoustic switch is a remote control device that a crew can use in an attempt to trigger an underwater valve that shuts down a well that’s damaged. The switch is meant as a last resort, as the primary shut-off systems almost always work on wells when they are out of control. It can be triggered from a lifeboat if an oil platform has to be evacuated.

According to the Journal, U.S regulators did consider requiring the acoustic switch on offshore wells, but drilling companies resisted because of its cost, and questions about its effectiveness. To be fair, the switches have never been tested in real-world situations, only simulations. U.S. regulators also maintain they are prone to causing unnecessary shutdowns."

so... anything but snarky comments from either of you two stellar humanitarians?

WOW...you can search on the internet in google.... really hard!! Too bad you have no understanding of the actual processes. You might as well be a politician in Washington DC....

GO Back to your cornfield.... Just because you can google information does not make you smarter, or more resourceful.

And yes; I am a DICK....especially when idiots like you make a situation in my industry worse by blabbering on and on and on.

I dont tell you how to grow corn and soybeans....

Do you blame the seed companys when a natural disaster takes out your crops? I doubt it.... you just claim the insurance and move on...

Dick out.....:macho :macho

destey
05-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Imagine if something like this would have happened up in the Arctic under thick ice. Then we'd be in big trouble.

I'm assuming you're directing this comment at my question. ANWR drilling would be on land. Environmentalists argue the elevated pipeline would impact wildlife, which is why it hasn't been tapped.

wikipedia on ANWR drilling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_National_Wildlife_Refuge#Drilling)

Quad18star
05-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by destey
I'm assuming you're directing this comment at my question. ANWR drilling would be on land. Environmentalists argue the elevated pipeline would impact wildlife, which is why it hasn't been tapped.

wikipedia on ANWR drilling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_National_Wildlife_Refuge#Drilling)

Actually I wasn't directing it towards anyone ... I was just throwing out the comment from what I've heard and read that Oil companies have wanted to drill in the Arctic some of which would be on the ice shelfs and if a disaster like this would occur and the oil would be trapped under metres of ice , it would prove to be an even greater disaster than the one that's going on right now.

<DRS>GPF
05-19-2010, 11:47 AM
WOW...you can search on the internet in google.... really hard!! Too bad you have no understanding of the actual processes. You might as well be a politician in Washington DC....

GO Back to your cornfield.... Just because you can google information does not make you smarter, or more resourceful.

And yes; I am a DICK....especially when idiots like you make a situation in my industry worse by blabbering on and on and on.

I dont tell you how to grow corn and soybeans....

Do you blame the seed companys when a natural disaster takes out your crops? I doubt it.... you just claim the insurance and move on...

Dick out.....:macho :macho

i never claimed to be an "drilling engineer" :rolleyes: and allegedly know all there is to know about all the offshore drilling that occurs in WV..

i simply resonded to your rediculous rant and additionally asked valid questions that apparently you can not answer.(perhaps because you most likely havent the knowledge..)

this is an ATV off topic section and if you want discuss this with "experts" in the oil industry, you have poorly chosen you audience..

your welcome to respond but im no longer going to respond to you.. if fact, i need to go now and discuss something with the "sanitation engineers" that i hear coming down the street..

good luck at the internet award ceremony for being the (ahem)"drilling engineer" arsehole of the year.

hendershot106
05-19-2010, 12:37 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

Ok....you can attack me personally thats fine.

I will just go drill some more "offshore" wells in WV....

Since you have so much experience... what is the difference between drilling on land and offshore????? Oh, wait...thats right.... THERE ARE FEW DIFFERENCES!!!!!!

Same principles apply....same techniques.... larger equipment, self contained units, service companys stay aboard, .... same inspections.(although substandard)..just floating on water...

Yes, there are safety measures built in on the rigs, brakes, hydraulics, shut off valves, vent pipes, manifold systems, all made to manage flow and pressure during drilling operations....in addition to the BOP/ram assemblies.

And im sure they could have installed an "acoustic" valve on the subfloor in the sea on the BOP stack.... you really believe that would have worked if the BOP and shears became damaged and inoperational??? Especially if the "acoustic" valve in question would have been placed on or amongst the BOP stack?

Yes.....this could have been prevented....if they never drilled the well most likely...and btw...the driller only performs what the tool pusher directs him too...who is directly supervised by the drilling Engineer. And my experience and my degree is paying pretty well currently... and has in the past situations of downhole fires and explosions during drilling operations i have supervised.

How many downhole drilling explosions or fires have you witnessed???

I do not recall asking for an audience. Nor will I. Hence the easy to understand explanations....;)

Futhermore, I pray you exert more effort into your career and furthering yourself...than sitting online and blabbering about topics you have absolutely no experience in other than listening to cnn on tv and googling info that is skewed for a "big" story to catch headlines.

Downhole Explosions happen. Its a fact. I have personally witnessed 3 in the last 2-3 yrs. I have also witnessed other problems occur such as rig fires, safety concerns, oil spills, runoff, injuries, etc.

Decisions are made based on circumstances as to what moves are made to deal with any situation... I personally have shut down a rig, or delayed starting drilling in waiting for the correct BOP stack to be assembled or located. Yet, i have no experience.

Bottom line is that accidents are ACCIDENTS. You are trying to make it sound like negligence on BP's behalf. They most certainly are taking every action possible to resolve the problem. Will new rules and regulations be written and become laws because of this accident?? Most likely, and most of the time put into those lawmaking and political efforts will increase the negative effect on our industry that everyone is so quick to BASH on.

DRS, Next time you get in your truck...and drive down the road... just remember that OUR oil and gas industry in pushing your truck down the highway.... and your "REDNECK ATV" is ran by production from OUR oil and gas industries fossil fuels.... or the next time you jump in your tractor...to harvest all your crops "in that there" cornfield your hiding in.... ALL THE PRODUCTS TO MAINTAIN THAT EQUIPMENT COME FROM OUR INDUSTRY... Gas, Diesel, Oil, Rubber all Petroleum Products bud....

SO next time... instead of pointing the finger as if you are a news reporter on the local 11 o clock news with 15 minutes of fame... try not to be such an inconsiderate individual and realize the irreparable harm you are causing... in addition to the harm already caused by such a catastrophic well explosion.

Now...back to googling... i think imma google DRS GPF ...and sanitation engineer... wait..nevermind... it just came up... http://www.cracked.com/article_18380_the-6-most-statistically-full-****-professions_p2.html

You must be a sportswriter.. not a sanitation engineer...

hendershot106
05-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Actually I wasn't directing it towards anyone ... I was just throwing out the comment from what I've heard and read that Oil companies have wanted to drill in the Arctic some of which would be on the ice shelfs and if a disaster like this would occur and the oil would be trapped under metres of ice , it would prove to be an even greater disaster than the one that's going on right now.

yes, that would be a bigger problem.... currents could carry it almost anywhere..along shorelines..further south...with almost no way of dealing with the spill to be under the ice and soak up the oil....

As if getting under the ice wasnt an issue...the problem of what to do with all the oil soak material transferring the contaiminated water would be a giant problem.

hendershot106
05-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by destey
why are we drilling 5 miles out and 1 mile down when we have oil right here on shore? ANWR and a few other places

Simple. You drill where the "money" is.

Or where the "money" is and your company has drilling rights to ie - signed leases(rights to drill on surface location).

Think of the layers underground as constantly changing... there are many differnent rock properties.... the 4 or so most common are sand, shale, coal, lime, and there are other formations..many more...but all are just variations off sand or shale streaks.

Surveys and geology determine where the "money" or fluid reservoirs are .... then suitable surface locations and leased and drilled. "Local" drilling is studied, furthered, and either continued or discontinued upon initial success.

DVS_Freestyler
05-19-2010, 01:09 PM
this thread sucks.

STOP killing my sushi!

quadbod
05-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Ladies, put the handbags down and move away from the lipstick.

ROTTY261
05-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by quadbod
Ladies, put the handbags down and move away from the lipstick.

+1 :cuss:

destey
05-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Simple. You drill where the "money" is.

Or where the "money" is and your company has drilling rights to ie - signed leases(rights to drill on surface location).

Think of the layers underground as constantly changing... there are many differnent rock properties.... the 4 or so most common are sand, shale, coal, lime, and there are other formations..many more...but all are just variations off sand or shale streaks.

Surveys and geology determine where the "money" or fluid reservoirs are .... then suitable surface locations and leased and drilled. "Local" drilling is studied, furthered, and either continued or discontinued upon initial success.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why its cheaper to drill 5 miles out and 1 mile down vs drilling in ANWR area 1002.

JIM GRACE
05-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Gas went down 10 cents a gallon when I filled up.
Go figure:D