PDA

View Full Version : Cutting scilencer plz help!

rookiex
01-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Ok guys...I got my pipe off...I took the screws out of the front where the spark arrestor is....Can I still use my fmf spark arrestor tip??....What are rivets?? do you need them for this job??....Or can I just use the ones that came off...And how do you get the tip off the pipe like the spark arrestor part...It won't come off...

QuadTrix6
01-30-2003, 05:19 PM
check the FAQ

rookiex
01-30-2003, 05:21 PM
i did...I just dunno how to get the tip off the pipes and if you can use them...No one really got to in depth about it...

rookiex
01-30-2003, 06:13 PM
some one who knows this plz help I am lost :confused: I am lookin at this thing like this :huh .....I am kinda lost in this pipe deal...

rookiex
01-30-2003, 07:41 PM
:grr

brokeitin3
01-31-2003, 05:45 AM
and no you cant reuse them, and you gotta have a special tool that costs about 20 bucks at walmart to install the new ones. i would suggest you wait till a later date to cut your pipe when someone can be there to help you with it.

rookiex
01-31-2003, 09:40 AM
I cut it...I think I can use the same tip on it as before I just have to drill it and put stainless steal screws in it..or use the same ones I have..

UglyMotha™
01-31-2003, 10:03 AM
OH JESUS! :eek:

UglyMotha™
01-31-2003, 10:56 AM
just out of curiosity did you remove the core before you cut it:confused:

TRX250XFIRE
01-31-2003, 11:11 AM
O man, this tread just getts better and better as u go down, u can drill thos old rivits out with a drill gun to get them out. but as for putting them in just call up some people that might have one, no sence going out buying one for one job u know. How much did u take off it when u cut it? cause i was just about to do mine so i will learn from ur experience.

DGR Designs
01-31-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha
OH JESUS! :eek:

my thoughts exactly...

dude you DID take it apart before you cut it right?

01-31-2003, 11:28 AM
Send the mofo ta me and I'll geter takin care of....:o ;)

My core was welded in when I had to get it fixed from being broke off the quad..but anywho.. I took the end cap off and cut thru the silencer canister, packing, and core all at one time..:eek: Turned out OK i guess..but my end cap alos had stainless screws too so I didn't have to deal with rivots..:D

rookiex
01-31-2003, 01:14 PM
Yeah I cut around it Idid cut threw the core part...But I think I figured out how to do it...The metal core I cut to a certin length so that the end cap will fit on pretty tightly too...so its just like my old pipe but shorter...I don't want to put revits in the thing..I just want screws...

rookiex
01-31-2003, 01:16 PM
But if I did mess up I am sendin it to rico or somone...with 30 bucks inside :p

DaveEX7
01-31-2003, 04:08 PM
how much did u hack off?

rookiex
01-31-2003, 09:07 PM
about 6 1/2

HiperEX
01-31-2003, 10:25 PM
what did you use to cut it off with ? im goin to be doing this to my fmf i already drilled out the rivets my grandpa has that rivet tool and rivets so i dont need to go out and buy the tool do u a hack saw? or what i should take it to school and use one of them big disk things they use to cut steel with would that work better?

rookiex
02-01-2003, 07:59 AM
use a hack saw so you dont cut your hand off :devil .....I just used some screws they work alot better I think...Its easier to repack and stuff.. I took ALOT off mine..its only like 5'' long or so now..

quadfamily
02-01-2003, 11:16 AM
maybe I missed this but what kind of silencer are you cutting, stock or aftermarket? And why do you cut them?

MichaelS693
02-01-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by quadfamily
maybe I missed this but what kind of silencer are you cutting, stock or aftermarket? And why do you cut them?

FMF?

DaveEX7
02-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Why do you guys cut your silencers?

quadgod440ex
02-05-2003, 07:41 PM
rivets are the things that look like bolts but have no head on them....u will need a drill and a drill bit that is about the size of the hole on the rivet or maybe smaller u gonna need to drill threw the rivet which will break it loose....then it should come out...when u put it back in u will need a rivet gun and rivets.....or just self tapping screws.....thats alll i can do for you good luck bro

jay's 300
02-05-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by SpeedDemin85
Why do you guys cut your silencers?

Wondering the same :ermm: :huh

HiperEX
02-05-2003, 08:13 PM
i cut 4inchs off mine and put it back together and man i love it better low end and mid range i love it one of the best things you can do for free i used a rotozip to do mine anad drill holes and put some screws in for now ill be gettin some rivets soon

quadfamily
02-06-2003, 10:06 AM
Hyper, You did this to what, your FMF on your 300EX ??

quadracer99
10-28-2003, 11:13 AM
i am going to be cutting mine too... and i checked the FAQ... and i dont see anything on their about cutting silencers

10-28-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by quadracer99
i am going to be cutting mine too... and i checked the FAQ... and i dont see anything on their about cutting silencers

LOL,,you didn't look to hard,,it's like the 8th post down.. Here's what mity mo had to say about cutting a silencer...:cool:

Ill give you the steps for doing this. I did it on my WB R-4 pipe.
1. Remove silencer from bike.
2. Check to see if your end cap is screwed on or riveted on. In my case they were rivets.
3. Either drill rivets out or unscrew end cap.
4. Carefully pull silencer core out of muffler.
5. Unwrap any material that is left on silencer core.
6. Determine on the muffler how much you want to remove. I chose 4.5" on the R-4.
7. I used a cut off saw. But you may use a hack saw if thats all you have. Be sure to maintain a nice flat end. Easiest way of obtaining this is take a rubber band and place it where you are gonna make your cut. Then with a tape measure be sure to have the rubber band at the same measurement at 4 places around tube.
8. Then take marker and follow around rubber band. This will ensure a nice flat edge.
9. Take a round file and take off the burred edges being extremely careful not to cut yourself.
10. Now take silencer core and place inside of muffler tube.
11. Determine how much you need by placing it all together on a bench and for the most part eye up and mark where you should cut the silencer core to fit.
12. Most cores are spot welded on the core tube. Using a file or cut off wheel cut the welds holding it together. Be sure not to damage the end as it will be needed to mate the core and muffler later.
13. To cut the core tube your best bet is to use a cut off wheel. Unless you have very steady hands for the hacksaw. You do not want to crush the core tube screen.
14. Place core tube on end you cut off in step12.
15. Place silencer core in muffler to check for proper fit. Trim off more if necessary to get a good fit.
16. Once you have the fit you are looking for pop rivet teh end back on the silencer core tube.
17. Recheck fit to ensure no mistakes were made.
18. Now use new muffler wrap to insulate silencer tube. I like the thicker tighter material. Usually a little more expensive but I think it works the best. Be sure to wrap silncer tube tight and make it about a 1/3rd larger than the muffler opening.
19. Place silencer core and tube back in muffler. Be sure to get all material in the muffler as it may burn if let out while riding. I dont have to remind you what part of your body will burn first if it ignites......
20. Place end cap onto muffler and be sure to have the tip of silencer aimed at the ground or slightly to the outer part of quad.
21. Carefully drill holes through both being sure not too put to much pressure as you may dent the silencer.
22. Pop rivet holes one at a time. Meaning drill a hole and then pop rivet that hole. That way you dont risk making the holes crooked.
23. Replace silencer on headpipe and check for fit.
24. There might be a good possibility you may have to rejet. So be sure to check plug and mood of bike before you go nuts with it.
25. Go for a nice ride in the knowledge that you did it on your own and might of helped tick off your neighbors with the little bit of noise it created.

Good luck. Mo

pnut420
10-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Here is a pic of mine, the X-6 was rivited but a used some self tapping screws, but let me tell you the rivits work alot better than screws that vibrate out:p .

This is about as much as I could cut off, it is way louder than before and it out of the way now. It was cut all the way through the core then the core was bent outward a little for the tip to slide in

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p66946d7c59634abda62ceee249d4cfe8/fadddbba.jpg

10-28-2003, 07:42 PM
Bills thunder with 6 inches cut off...:confused2