View Full Version : 1996 blaster engine problems

youseemeson
05-11-2010, 09:42 PM
I got a 1996 blaster from a friend...its my 1st quad and i dont know much about em...except i rode it a couple times and it stopped working while i was riding. I had a guy come look at it and he said it was the top end...so i put it in garage to save to have it fixed...when i put in my garage the kick start lever was working...it almost turned over when i kicked it but just wouldnt start...so i pulled it out to mess around with it and take it apart..but the kick start lever wouldnt move...i tried to kick start it to see if a miracle would happen and it was stuck in up position. so i would like any help i can get cuz i am thinking i am screwed...need a whole new engine? i am all new to this so i appreciate it.

lukey
05-11-2010, 10:51 PM
sounds like somthing broke in the engine i would just take it apart to find all the damage and go from there.

Eclipsemike
05-14-2010, 10:05 AM
either that or the top end is locked up. corrosion, rust, or anything binding the piston to the cylinder.you can possibly try to get some penetrating oil down the the spark plug hole and sometimes that may free up the pistin and you might only need a a simple hone, piston and rings, and gaskets

JD'S ATV
06-20-2010, 07:47 AM
sometime that will work but it sounds as if it is locked up. your rimgs are more than likely stuck in the piston. It would be best if u took the top end off and just go a head a put around 100 to 150 in the rings piston and a bore job along with the gasket kit. Your bike is one of the easiest the is to rebuild. Go all out dont cut corners with used parts or u will be doing it again in a week or two.

2005honda400ex
07-09-2010, 01:14 PM
transmisions in blasters are typically weak i would look at your bottom end and make sure nothing is stoping the engine from rolling over it could also use a rebuild since it is a two stroke