PDA

View Full Version : racing an acura with my firebird, need your opnion!

yellow400ex05
05-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Alright So my buddy has a Acura intergra with a type R engine which is the b18c with the 200hp stock. heres the mods "list"- its a mostly gutted integra, type r, headers, full exhaust, intake, tuned (dont know anything about what kind of tune) and a 2 step. (supposedly) ran a 13.2 in the 1/4 when the engine and trans and all was in a hatch, but i dont believe it unless i see the time slip as we all know.

I've got a 77k mile 1996 Firebird Formula M6 stock 3.42's slp loudmouth 1 cat back intake and a fresh tune up (plugs, wires, distributor etc) and basically one size bigger rear tires (doubt it makes a difference) they are 255's. somwhere around 310 or so horsepower i would say

So who do you think would win with bsacially equal drivers in the 1/4 mile?
Do you think i even have a chance in any form of a race, a roll perhaps? i know some of the people here are probably honda freaks so i could possibly get some info on how they run.

05-11-2010, 08:52 PM
That motor in a hatch 13.2 1/4 is EASY! They run 12's with with basic mods and slicks in a hatch. In a Teggy depending on the model weighs a heck of a lot more. Integra's are the heaviest with the lightest one being the Type R at like 2550lbs? If he has an LS or GSR its about 143lbs more so almost 2700lbs. You said mostly gutted though which is still probably in the 2600's. The true ITR has thinner floorboard metal, all sound dampening stripped, no AC, aluminum this and that so he wont be near that 2550 mark. Trust me weight in lower powered lighter cars makes a huge difference! You can add just a passenger and say WTF happened this thing is a pig. His 1/4 mile times with that motor in a regular *** Teg I say are in the 15 second area if he doesnt have any other mods suspension and tire wise. That being said I dont know much about the Firebird. Best way to find out is to line them up. There are so many variables between cars and drivers.

WhiteZrider
05-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Yeah I rode in that car when the motor and stuff was in the hatch, it flew. Haven't rode in it yet with everything in the teg

05-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZrider
Yeah I rode in that car when the motor and stuff was in the hatch, it flew. Haven't rode in it yet with everything in the teg

It would be faster than a lot of things on the street but at the strip it would be a pig. This is coming from experience. I had a 98+ ITR swap in my old Civic coupe. It was quick but also slow compared to a lot of things. Then again I know people with world records on the strip. I also had some complications and it was stock lol. We'll see how it runs in the new Civic. I have quite the mod list now. Its hard to beat the hatches because of their weight. 2200lbs fully loaded is like a paper weight lol

yellow400ex05
05-11-2010, 09:10 PM
well im going to be honest i've gotten many other opnions saying that its most likely a high 13 low 14 second car, and i did ride in the car once when it was in the hatch and it was quick but idk its been a long while and i've been driving my car for a while now so im used to the power it has and the in your seat feel, i dont remember the hatch having all that in your seat feel, it just kinda acellerated quicker than you would think. but time will tell, i am pretty confident on what the outcome will probably be, buit i still want opinions.

05-11-2010, 09:21 PM
stock suspension and tires if he runs high 13's or low 14's I would honestly be surprised and that would make him a damn good driver. There are some people that can drive unbelieveable and nobody else can come close to their time. IDK who tuned it or what the mods are exactly but stock suspension and tires arent getting you far fast atleast.

toby400ex
05-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Screw all that crap. Just blow some donuts with your fire bird. Rear wheel drive is way more fun.:devil:

One_Bad_400
05-12-2010, 07:43 AM
there is only one way to find out. there has to be a winner and there has to be a loser. go see which one you are :p

05-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Screw all that crap. Just blow some donuts with your fire bird. Rear wheel drive is way more fun.:devil:

Only if it had an LSD otherwise its the gayest thing ever and pointless.

woodsracer144
05-12-2010, 08:02 PM
that type R would be fast as **** if he was running a turbo, i have buddys with the eclipse that are AWD and turboed and are fast as **** and theres a kid with the type R that hoses him everytime. so its hard to say, im not much of a ricer guy. im more a diesel guy but i know that intgra would be fast with the right guy turning the key and wrinches...

justinwills83
05-12-2010, 08:06 PM
every one with one of those cars acks like they run 12s and 13s but when there at the strips most of em run 15s, when i had my ls1 i cleaned up every little car that came at me, the firebird will smoke it

matt14c
05-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Hate those rice burners but pretty sure hes got you. you prolly have at best a 13.6 car. So if his times are correct and if I was about to race somebody i would prolly add a couple tenths to it especially if anything is on the line with it.

CJM
05-12-2010, 08:32 PM
At best a stock GSR is gonna run like high 13's or higher, it cant touch that LS1.

05-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by CJM
At best a stock GSR is gonna run like high 13's or higher, it cant touch that LS1.

in the 1/8th? lol GSRs stock in the 1/4 are easily 15 second cars. Slow as ****. Heck the ITR is rated like mid 14's although people have done 13's stock but thats 1 in thousands. Yeah I love my "rice" and all that but the truth is those cars realistically are down right slow. Yes 15 seconds IS faster than a lot of things on the road. But still it aint anything to brag about. A stock Type R aint anything to brag about either. Its quick but not the OMG this car is scary. If he is bottle fed or on boost game over though lol

woodsracer144
05-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
in the 1/8th? lol GSRs stock in the 1/4 are easily 15 second cars. Slow as ****. Heck the ITR is rated like mid 14's although people have done 13's stock but thats 1 in thousands. Yeah I love my "rice" and all that but the truth is those cars realistically are down right slow. Yes 15 seconds IS faster than a lot of things on the road. But still it aint anything to brag about. A stock Type R aint anything to brag about either. Its quick but not the OMG this car is scary. If he is bottle fed or on boost game over though lol

If you do a type R right it can be stupid fast. meaning there would be a turbo on it and there would be some other mods done also...

justinwills83
05-12-2010, 08:56 PM
I got 100$ on the firebird ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjBVJ8PMpeY

05-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
If you do a type R right it can be stupid fast. meaning there would be a turbo on it and there would be some other mods done also...

Isnt that what I said? lol You can build it all motor to whoop on a lot of things. Spray is easier though. Do both lol. Boost is a whole other level. Its so easy to get power out of them hence why I bought one.

05-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by justinwills83
I got 100$ on the firebird ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjBVJ8PMpeY

unknown mods to each and please read before posting. It has a B18C5/6/R in it not the B18C1

justinwills83
05-12-2010, 09:15 PM

toby400ex
05-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Only if it had an LSD otherwise its the gayest thing ever and pointless. True. I would hope anyone doing anything to muscle car would at least have an LSD in it. My ranger was 10x more fun when I put a locking differential in it. Almost got a ticket in the first 30 minutes I had it out of the garage.:devil:

krt400ex
05-13-2010, 04:51 AM
It would be faster than a lot of things on the street but at the strip it would be a pig. This is coming from experience. I had a 98+ ITR swap in my old Civic coupe. It was quick but also slow compared to a lot of things. Then again I know people with world records on the strip. I also had some complications and it was stock lol. We'll see how it runs in the new Civic. I have quite the mod list now. Its hard to beat the hatches because of their weight. 2200lbs fully loaded is like a paper weight lol

i know a kid who just built a '94 civic hatch and threw an h22 in there. he weighs in at 1900 lbs with him in the car and a full tank of gas. car hauls some serious @$$. he's running low 12's he said. i havent seen it go down the strip, so i'm not sure exactly what he is running, but watching the car do a first through fourth gear pull and it moves.

feuerstack411
05-13-2010, 11:31 AM
drag racing is for girly men

toby400ex
05-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by feuerstack411
drag racing is for girly men Yeah word. You two should just have a drifting race around a twisty mountain road. Remember "drifting is all in the heart". Lol, one of you is Asian the other a white boy correct?

k4f5x0r
05-13-2010, 01:13 PM
I honestly do not understands people's obsession with straight line numbers. Yes it takes a certain amount of skill to launch and shift right, but who cares? it lasts for 13 seconds anyway.

Road racing/oval's need the same skill as drag racing except its for a much longer duration.

JMHO

Hondamaster5505
05-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Yeah, but you guys are missing the point. Drag racers don't drag to show skill, they drag to see who's car is faster.

And neither of these guys are drag racers, or mario andretti. They don't need a car that can pull insane g's around corners, LMAO. For a daily driver, and for most driving off a track, sheer power is all you need. And it's fun to see who's car is faster.

krt400ex
05-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Yeah word. You two should just have a drifting race around a twisty mountain road. Remember "drifting is all in the heart". Lol, one of you is Asian the other a white boy correct?

well i was going with the topic of the thread, i prefer corners myself. they are much more fun than just going fast and straight. especially when your car is underpowered but kills a big block in the corners lol

Hondamaster5505
05-13-2010, 05:39 PM
I wouldn't exactly say the firebirds aren't good handlers. When they were tested, they actually handled pretty decently. For just daily driving with some curves and straights thrown in, I think that's good enough. I don't need an F1 car around town. lol. Give me some horsepower, in a semi-decently handling chassis, and im happy.

But I don't think of drag racing much of a sport/driver skill, as much as just to see who's car is faster. It's nice to have bragging rights.

muddy400EX
05-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by CJM

his would be an LT1, not an LS1

05-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Handling > Power IMO Older Honda's are like gocarts lol I love straight line speed but its much more of a rush to be railing a turn. Straight line is definately safer though.

k4f5x0r
05-14-2010, 04:35 AM
It's just kinda like saying, oh dude lets drag race our quads. Yeah one of you is faster but who cares? Maybe its just me but i much prefer flying my quad through the air further then my friend :p

woodsracer144
05-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r
It's just kinda like saying, oh dude lets drag race our quads. Yeah one of you is faster but who cares? Maybe its just me but i much prefer flying my quad through the air further then my friend :p

haha Agreed!

05-14-2010, 11:08 AM
If you have never tried both type of racing I suggest you give them a try. Not only because both are fun but because you can speak from experience. I do agree road racing is a hell of a lot more fun. But both are a challenge. Drag racing yes a lot goes into who's car is faster but... driver skill does play a huge role! It may sound easy, but there is a lot more involved than you think. You can have 2 identical cars but one runs a 12.86 and the other runs a 14.1, seen it happen. My friend can drive real good, he took a car said to have a best time of like 13.4 and ran just over half a second faster technically holding the world record time for that car stock. Honestly the biggest factor on your time is your 60'. How you get off the ine isnt as easy as it sounds. Getting the right amount of riding the clutch out kills your clutch but makes for some killer times. Drag racing you have no mercy on your clutch. Fastest out of the whole is riding the clutch out. Road racing you gotta stay calm which isnt all that easy if your car is sideways and your hauling ***. You gotta be smooth with transitions and correcting. Its a different type of skill. And wow we strayed off topic in this thread. Going from this vs this to this type of racing is better than this type lol

muddy400EX
05-14-2010, 12:58 PM
If you have never tried both type of racing I suggest you give them a try. Not only because both are fun but because you can speak from experience. I do agree road racing is a hell of a lot more fun. But both are a challenge. Drag racing yes a lot goes into who's car is faster but... driver skill does play a huge role! It may sound easy, but there is a lot more involved than you think. You can have 2 identical cars but one runs a 12.86 and the other runs a 14.1, seen it happen. My friend can drive real good, he took a car said to have a best time of like 13.4 and ran just over half a second faster technically holding the world record time for that car stock. Honestly the biggest factor on your time is your 60'. How you get off the ine isnt as easy as it sounds. Getting the right amount of riding the clutch out kills your clutch but makes for some killer times. Drag racing you have no mercy on your clutch. Fastest out of the whole is riding the clutch out. Road racing you gotta stay calm which isnt all that easy if your car is sideways and your hauling ***. You gotta be smooth with transitions and correcting. Its a different type of skill. And wow we strayed off topic in this thread. Going from this vs this to this type of racing is better than this type lol

ya, if i was a race car driver i would definitely wanna do road racing type stuff.

actually, id wanna do rally in one of the sweet arse subaru's, that would be insane:devil:

05-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
ya, if i was a race car driver i would definitely wanna do road racing type stuff.

actually, id wanna do rally in one of the sweet arse subaru's, that would be insane:devil:

no need to be a race car driver, weekend warrior. I was just talking about rally cars for like an hour last night lol I was thinking how crazy would that be to drive something where if you crash your probably walking away. Id be a mad man lol you can bounce of poles, trees, slam into ditches and roll them and walk away. Then I wondering what are the roll cages made out of? I was thinking titanium because its strong but light.

k4f5x0r
05-14-2010, 04:51 PM
The second i hit 18 i plan on having track days anyway :p . obviously not going to do it with my daily driver so i'm going to have to figure out what im going to get in a year and a half.

Rallying is insane... at the upper levels. To get started in rallying most people are using weak 150hp front wheel drive cars. Maybe its just me but a front wheel drive car for rally completey idiotic IMO :grr:

97blaster200
05-14-2010, 04:56 PM

i would love to see proof and documentation of these world record holders you speak of. thank you.

05-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by 97blaster200
i would love to see proof and documentation of these world record holders you speak of. thank you.

I'll see what I can do. I have visual proof of my friends world record holding EVO. its his daily driver too lol too bad 2 weeks ago the trans went boom on the dyno when he laid down 540ft lbs @ 4000RPM in a 2L lol

WhiteZrider
05-14-2010, 10:12 PM
My one buddy that use to race dirtbikes has an evo putting down 600 hp. 2.4 stroker, 29lbs of boost, that thing is down right insane...spins all 4 first and second.