PDA

View Full Version : Parental Support ?

Jim417mx
05-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Alright I just have to vent this since you guys are like family on here and I see people venting about stupider stuff all the time... but here it is...

For year, after year.... after year... I ask my parents to go hangout at the track and watch me race, just to get turned down. I have been racing about 6 years and they have only been to TWO races. Not to mention they showed up at the walnut national for 30 minutes last year (we live 2 hours away). I'm no "kid" ... but I'm still young at 21 years old, but it still bugs me and kinda gets me "down" when I see other racers thanking their parents for all their hard work and dedication, and I go home and mine dont even ask me how I did. To pin-point this topic, I'm talking about parental support on what I, the kid, does in life, not "hey we built you this 450 from mommy and daddys money go race it and do good". I know theres something inside me when I line up at the gate thinking "damn, this could be it, I wish my parents were here to watch", but then again I think "they dont give a F* anyway so what does it matter".. which causes me not to push myself as hard on the track.

Just wondering if anybody else has this problem or idea's on what I can do to ge them to show up at the track and get some support...

matt14c
05-11-2010, 06:32 PM
I was the same way. My dad hated quads and made sure he made me aware of it on a weekly basis. He drag raced cars most of his youth and still does and wanted me to carry on and do that. Offered to build me cars, rails, whatever i wanted i just wasnt interested. I ran his cars a couple times on test and tune nights and it gave me no where near the thrill of racing. I mean getting thrown back for 9 seconds was a blast and all but wasnt for me. I told him I drag raced with 14 other guys at the same time at the start of every race i raced too and he didnt think it was as funny as I did. :p By him being 58 now and well 53-54 when i was into it heavy it would ask him questions and things seems how he builds all his own race engines and such for cars i figured my lil 4 pokes wouldnt be a problem he would answer my questions but would have never grabbed a wrench and helped or showed me. He never came to races, didnt pay for anything, wouldnt help on parts, gear, gas, oil, nothing! I had to work two jobs. pretty much one for racing/toys and the other for living. When I got hurt racing he tried selling the quad while i was in the hospital! He still to this day every now and then makes comments about things i could do to my house or what not if I had all the money back I wasted on my quads! So I hear ya by not knowing why your parents dont like it prolly fear that you will get hurt so not sure if they will ever accept it. I continued to do it for 4 years or so and loved every minute of it and still have quads and ride recreationally and wouldnt change anything if did all over. Good luck

KFX450Rrider490
05-11-2010, 07:24 PM
i cant honestly say i know how you feel because i was blessed with parents that do try and support me with almost everything that i do(racing is the exception). anyway i run track and my parents are always there, every meet. but then i have friends whos parents havent ever seen them run, throw or jump. they never say anything but i know it bugs them.

as for getting support i dont think that talking to them would be a bad idea. so mabe you should try that.

best of luck to you bolth

MX MaNiAc 06
05-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Parental support? Whats that? My dad hated taking me to the track when i was younger. He would talk to other dads and they asked about my racing. He said i wasnt allowed because it was dangerous. They always gave him weird looks and tried to convince him i should be racing.

We went to breezewood one year and my mom offered to come along for the trip. She loved it! She took pics and videos. But they both agree it would be a huge relief if i quit because ive broken a couple bones.

Whats even worse than my parents not supporting me is when we had family over to the house. Uncles, aunts cousins, grandparents. My cousins would ask me to go pound out some laps on my track. I could tell by the expressions my relatives were just thinking "holy crap, what an idiot! hes gonna kill himself"

My dad does enjoy working on the quad with me and is always down to cut trees for me on the track. haha At least we agree on something.

sunco
05-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Folks - so much to be said about parents involement - it doesn't have to do w/ racing - some parents don't turn out how u want them to. For that matter kids don't either. Love the family u have ( weather u like the choices they make r not ) so many years will be wasted being mad at each other. Been there done that. U gotta be the bigger person & try to be positive & supportive of them & everyone (God loves ya brother) - even if u see no reason. Just live life as a dog - always happy when u come home & roll w/ it.:devil:
Good luck to u whoever u surround urself with.

05-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Theres only 3 things in my life I think I can say my parents supported me on. Soccer when I was little, hockey when I was older, and school.

It really is tough at times with no support trying to do what you love. I believe that if you truely love what your doing you can keep doing it. I bought my 400ex at 15 years old I think. Then at 16 I bought a trailer hitch so I can tow the trailer myself. Purchased several hundreds in parts for the quad. At 18 I bought my 450r with my own cash. Car wise 17 I bought my 1st car, then found the car I wanted and bought that too. Had 2 cars at 17. Sold the 1st one. Kept the 2nd and spent thousands upon thousands on it. Totalled it and took my losses, couldnt collect insurance, had to pay court fees and what not. Then 18 I bought my 3rd car. Spent thouands on it already. The point is I love riding my quads and racing my car. Probably some of the most expensive hobbies out there. But I love it and I continue to spend pay checks to keep doing what I want. Only live once right? Sometimes you gotta take control and do things that hard way and by yourself.

jesseweaver
05-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Jim417mx
I have been racing about 6 years and they have only been to TWO races.

hey thats 2 more than me. my parents hate it too. "it's such a waste of money" :rolleyes: and i still dont know if they're right or not. with what i have in mx i could have easily made a downpayment on a house. am i gonna look back at it when im 30 and wish i never would have started?

fastredrider44
05-11-2010, 09:51 PM
My dad has been to two races. One of which, he wasn't able to even see me run, as I had already taken the checkers by the time he arrived, and the 2nd, which he was there the whole time, but never really seemed to have much to say about it. My mom has been to a few, and supports me with phone calls, but no financial support whatsoever. Dad especially thinks that quad racing is for immature people that don't have anything better to spend their money on. It's what I love though.

muddy400EX
05-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
hey thats 2 more than me. my parents hate it too. "it's such a waste of money" :rolleyes: and i still dont know if they're right or not. with what i have in mx i could have easily made a downpayment on a house. am i gonna look back at it when im 30 and wish i never would have started?

i dont think you will, i think you will look back and miss it. if you love doing it, and enjoy it, then your not wasting your time. no matter what other people think

jesseweaver
05-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
i dont think you will, i think you will look back and miss it. if you love doing it, and enjoy it, then your not wasting your time. no matter what other people think

yea thats the way i look at it. but i look around at EVERYONE that is around 30 years old and they all say they wish they would have been smarter with their money when they were younger so i always wonder if i am being smart enough with it???

honda300EXtreme
05-11-2010, 10:27 PM
there are many people who look back to the days of owning quads and regret it but there are just as many people who would not have changed a thing. sure, lots and lots of money gets spent but if you truely get enjoyment from the sport than who's to say you are wrong. there are ALOT of ways you could spend your money in worse ways.

as far as "parental support" goes, i could imagine that it would bug you but at the end of the day you have to live for you. no matter what others think or say, some parents want to turn a blind eye to anything that may hurt there child. But you have to push yourself for you to better yourself

muddy400EX
05-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
yea thats the way i look at it. but i look around at EVERYONE that is around 30 years old and they all say they wish they would have been smarter with their money when they were younger so i always wonder if i am being smart enough with it???

look at it this way, if you did not get into riding, what you spend your money on? and do you think you would enjoy it more than riding/racing?

ive spent alot of money on quads, but thats not the money i regret. i regret all the money ive spent on cars, ive had the same loan since my first truck, and added on to the loan when my truck would break down, and then when i sold it to get my car etc. now i owe more than what my car is worth, and im trying to sell it and get a truck,lol.

i hate cars, all they do is cost you money

slightlybent47
05-12-2010, 04:25 AM
You cant worry about what you spent your money on when you were younger.
If you never did anything with your life and just sat on all the money you make then that would be a real tragedy and you would look back and wonder why you were such a tight wad.
If you enjoy what you are doing no mater what it is, then isn’t that what life is all about?
It might be worse if you had a dad that pushed you to hard and took all the fun out of it like some of the dads do.
As long as you put back a small amount of what you make for a rainy day then you are doing better then most.

sunco
05-12-2010, 05:41 AM
See, someone is always complaining about the other person - you do what works for u. I'm 48 so I guess ur dad called me immature - I can take that two ways - be mad cause he doesn't even know me calling me a name & not liking what I do. Or laugh & say the jokes on him - I love the sport & have raised my family around it. So I smile & hammer on the throttle knowing I'm as happy as can be. He has no idea the boner I get when talking or riding quads/bikes. :blah: Its all good, just make sure the things that u don't like you can change when its ur turn w/ a family. Be supportive in all aspects of life, even if its not something u personally wouldn't do. Remember that next time ...............

Doing the things u do make u the person that u r. I feel my kids will be better drivers, learn the respect of a machine, personal satisfaction of doing something they are proud of. The list goes on.

My dad told me I can do anything I want as long as it wasn't illeagal - were talking about a job now :D

Canadian144
05-12-2010, 05:51 AM
My parents don't LET me race, it F'in sucks... they are very supportive of everything else I do (hockey, soccer, saxophone, piano).... but I wish they would let me race. Eh I'll just wait until I'm outta the house and go race anyways, haha :blah: . I will probably also get a street bike since they are against that too!

muddy400EX
05-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
You cant worry about what you spent your money on when you were younger.
If you never did anything with your life and just sat on all the money you make then that would be a real tragedy and you would look back and wonder why you were such a tight wad.
If you enjoy what you are doing no mater what it is, then isn’t that what life is all about?
It might be worse if you had a dad that pushed you to hard and took all the fun out of it like some of the dads do.
As long as you put back a small amount of what you make for a rainy day then you are doing better then most.

thats true, like i see little kids fall down at the track, and there dad starts yelling "PICK THE BIKE UP! PICK IT UP AND GO!" and im thinking, just help the kid out ya know,lol

sunco
05-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Canadian144
My parents don't LET me race, it F'in sucks... they are very supportive of everything else I do (hockey, soccer, saxophone, piano).... but I wish they would let me race. Eh I'll just wait until I'm outta the house and go race anyways, haha :blah: . I will probably also get a street bike since they are against that too!

My son wants to race - its a lifestyle & you need $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ sometimes it will change the family dynamics, so I can understand about the racing thing. When ur older you do it how u wanta.

ROTTY261
05-12-2010, 10:57 AM
I am almost 32 and started racing about 4 years ago. I now have 3 of my kids racing (and two others dying to start) and I have stopped for now. As a dad I am much happier seeing them race and have fun then I am when I race. As they get older and can get the quads ready and to the line with less help I may pick it back up.

I am sorry for those of you that are not supported by your parents but understand they are probably more scared than anything. Tell them you are going to keep racing and it would mean the world to you if they would come watch. Tell them if you get hurt it will happen whether they are there or not, but might be easier for you and them if they are there to help you if it does ever happen.

As far as the money part of it goes, who cares! Spend your money on what you enjoy. Most of our family vacations are based around riding trips and we spend less going out riding for a week than we would at disneyland!

Life is short, live it how you want with no regrets!

TNT
05-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Be grateful you have parents, you may not always agree with them, want more from them, or understand what they do. Some have it worse, much worse, visit or volunteer at a shelter for abused or homeless children you’ll see how lucky you are.

JR3
05-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Jim417mx
Alright I just have to vent this since you guys are like family on here and I see people venting about stupider stuff all the time... but here it is...

For year, after year.... after year... I ask my parents to go hangout at the track and watch me race, just to get turned down. I have been racing about 6 years and they have only been to TWO races. Not to mention they showed up at the walnut national for 30 minutes last year (we live 2 hours away). I'm no "kid" ... but I'm still young at 21 years old, but it still bugs me and kinda gets me "down" when I see other racers thanking their parents for all their hard work and dedication, and I go home and mine dont even ask me how I did. To pin-point this topic, I'm talking about parental support on what I, the kid, does in life, not "hey we built you this 450 from mommy and daddys money go race it and do good". I know theres something inside me when I line up at the gate thinking "damn, this could be it, I wish my parents were here to watch", but then again I think "they dont give a F* anyway so what does it matter".. which causes me not to push myself as hard on the track.

Just wondering if anybody else has this problem or idea's on what I can do to ge them to show up at the track and get some support...

been racing for almost 6 years as well my dads been to 1 race and my mom went to a practice for 30 minutes. they dont mind me racing they just dont go the track or anything. i dont mind thoe when i go the track its my alone time from everything and everybody my quiet/happy place haha

ATVMX33
05-13-2010, 07:14 AM
i dont think my parents like me racing but they do support me and are at most races

hondariderdylan
05-13-2010, 07:47 AM
I made a thread about this a while back. I cant find it though.

But it really pisses me off when i have freinds who have parents who are supportive of there racing and my dad is too stubborn to put down his dam beer can on one sunday and go to the races with me. It seems like all he cares about is getting hammered everyday and deer hunting. I bring up anything about racing and he will think of anything he possibly can just to avoid it. It really depresses me to think i have finally found something im good at and am truly passionate about(i never played any sports) and he just says oh, thats nice and goes back to sitting on his *** drinking.(the main reason i wont touch alcohol aswell) When i have my insurance squared away this summer im taking the top off my bronco, getting my buddy who actually does support me and is interested in quads and racing. Im throwing the quad in the back and going racing. my dad can shove his beer and liquor up his ***.

end rant.:ermm:

Pappy
05-13-2010, 08:23 AM
I dont know how a parent CAN"T support their kid. I may not like the activity but I support it. However, I may not attend every event, but with racing I have only missed one and the wife covered me so one of us was there.

I wish I had an answer, my dad did not always make it to every race or thing I had going on, but I knew he was behind me. Maybe this is whats wrong with alot of our country.......

Baracudaaa
05-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Think its bad not having a parent support you? Wait till you are married and your WIFE hates the fact that you race, its 10000% times worse!!!!!!!
When I say she hates it, she likes coming to races at times, but is VERY nervous that I will get hurt, but I guess that is what moms/wives do!

randyIL
05-13-2010, 01:20 PM
I have been to every race (I've video taped every race ). Six years and counting.

It takes alot of commiment. My house looks like crap, partly because every weekend was racing and 10 hr. work weeks to help pay for racing didn't leave alot of time to work on it ( oh, I'm lazy too). But I would not have it any other way.

I love this sport !!!!

Lots of great bonding time with my son and all his racing/riding friends. All of his buddies have become part of our family. Back in the day my wife would make food for the whole gang.

I'm not only there for my son, I'm there for all the guys. I support them all and want them all to do well and I worry for each of them. ( Plus they like the pics & videos ).

Your parents may not be there, but if you got buddies that are at the track with their parents, at least some of those parants are probably rooting and supporting you too !!!

Heck....I'll be at Sunset all weekend enjoying the greatest spectacle in sports, cheering for all the locals; and my son is not even racing.

If your racing..what's your plate number and what class you racing.....heck, you may even get some video time !!!

randyIL
05-13-2010, 01:24 PM
By the way......I know we got alot of rain the last couple of days......

But this weekend is suppose to be beautiful !!!!

Good Luck Chad.....here's hoping for the first win of the season !!!

bens250ex
05-13-2010, 06:12 PM
my parents aren't found of it. they have only been to one race. they try anything to keep me from racing.

TNT
05-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
I made a thread about this a while back. I cant find it though.

But it really pisses me off when i have freinds who have parents who are supportive of there racing and my dad is too stubborn to put down his dam beer can on one sunday and go to the races with me. It seems like all he cares about is getting hammered everyday and deer hunting. I bring up anything about racing and he will think of anything he possibly can just to avoid it. It really depresses me to think i have finally found something im good at and am truly passionate about(i never played any sports) and he just says oh, thats nice and goes back to sitting on his *** drinking.(the main reason i wont touch alcohol aswell) When i have my insurance squared away this summer im taking the top off my bronco, getting my buddy who actually does support me and is interested in quads and racing. Im throwing the quad in the back and going racing. my dad can shove his beer and liquor up his ***.

end rant.:ermm:

Yeah man don't let it get you down, it comes in all forms, some more accepted by our lame society than others....Food and obesity is more of killer than anything in this country, by most more accepted than alcohol and drugs, sex, etc. It’s all substance abuse you will find anywhere, at the races, walking down the street, etc. There are a lot of hypocrites out there that eat or work themselves to heart attacks, cheat on their wife’s, etc, and like to judge other ppls ailments, but they are no better don’t care what this society accepts.

Living in a hard home like you I grew up on welfare, ghettos of LA, CA now a very successful engineer, you will survive for the better. Some have seen their parents suffer from diseases, like my parents and yours. I had no dad just a sick mom but you will come to learn to have pity, not anger, it’s the disease not them. See what they do and suffer from like you are want no part of it, what you servive makes you strongeer than them for your child. You learned the easy way since you did not go there, well be blessed that you seen the truth before the gutter!...if you are still angry at your parent(s) you know not the truth and a forgiving heart.

Loved Randyll post, I had to find male role models to identify with(that’s why I’ve said be grateful if you have any parents at all!) It’s how you look at it, live and learn, do what you have to in life expect nothing in return, do good will in a dark closet hidden from praise, nor of out of your parents or life! ..Your time will come to do better trust me! :D

sunco
05-14-2010, 05:30 AM
In God We Trust