PDA

View Full Version : Cant find part for gas tank

Redrider99
05-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Ok so ive looked everywhere for this part and cant find it. Its the brass insert that goes into the gas tank and has threads so you can put the bolt holding the front fenders on into it. I have no idea how I lost this but the whole thing just poped out. Any help on where to find this part would be great.

Thanks
Tyler

eastside 400
05-11-2010, 05:07 PM
you cant buy them, they are molded/glued into the tank and not sold seperatly

Redrider99
05-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Thats what I was thinking. I have no idea how this came out tho haha. Atleast the couple zip ties didnt come off in the second moto lol

Baileygunns
05-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Go to the harware store and find a nut to JB weld it in there.

Redrider99
05-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
Go to the harware store and find a nut to JB weld it in there.

I was thinking that or I saw a 450r gas tank on ebay with some holes in it for 20 bucks might just rip the part out of that and JB it in

Baileygunns
05-11-2010, 06:26 PM
$20 bucks for a tank or .13 cents for a nut... Easy math to me, especially when your just going to cut the nut out of the tank and JB weld it in any how...

If you could find a usable tank for 20 bucks... That would be something to consider.

Redrider99
05-11-2010, 06:29 PM
$20 bucks for a tank or .13 cents for a nut... Easy math to me, especially when your just going to cut the nut out of the tank and JB weld it in any how...

If you could find a usable tank for 20 bucks... That would be something to consider.

Yes its alot cheaper but just petting JB on the side of the nut so the bolt could still go through I wouldnt think would be very strong. But hey why not give it a shot

Baileygunns
05-11-2010, 06:37 PM
What were you going to do with the nut out of the other gas tank? Same thing right? or did I read that wrong?

I would put the nut in the tank, open up the hole a little around the nut with a dremel (I wouldn't make it perfectly round so it cant spin) make sure the nut sits flat then fill all the way around it. I would spread a little on the side of the tank too, just scuff it with some 320 grit. As I'm sure you know, JB will settle smooth and level.

Just a suggestion... You do what you want, it's your bike.

Redrider99
05-11-2010, 06:38 PM
What were you going to do with the nut out of the other gas tank? Same thing right? or did I read that wrong?

I would put the nut in the tank, open up the hole a little around the nut with a dremel (I wouldn't make it perfectly round so it cant spin) make sure the nut sits flat then fill all the way around it. I would spread a little on the side of the tank too, just scuff it with some 320 grit. As I'm sure you know, JB will settle smooth and level.

Just a suggestion... You do what you want, it's your bike.

Thanks for the suggestion Il give it a shot in the next couple of days and tell you how it holds up at hurricane this weekend