View Full Version : Do you like your job?

juice420
05-11-2010, 02:52 PM
I know times are rough right now, and I'm very thankful to be working but, how many of us actually enjoy our jobs? I like mine some days and some days I would rather not be there. I'm a loader at R+L Carriers, it's crossdock and fairly easy work but after 6 1/2 years its pretty boring!! So, everyone's thoughts?

toby400ex
05-11-2010, 02:57 PM
I +ucking hate my job. But at the same time I'm happy to have a job. Some times I think I should quit just to push myself to find another job. Finding a new job takes effort. I'll probably stay with my job until I get out of college for the fact that I get health insurance for $85 a month. Anyone know where you can get health insurance cheaper? lol

J.Brown121
05-11-2010, 03:08 PM
I work for my dad who has a heating and air contract with a local restaurant chain. I pretty much just carry stuff and hand him tools. The job is ok b/c I get to hang out with my dad a lot (I haven't been home very much since college started) and the hours are good b/c he works around my school schedual(sp). The only thing that I hate is that when I need extra money there isn't any way for me to work overtime or anything. But I am very greatful to have a job with the way things are right now.

Scro
05-11-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm a cartographer. I enjoy mine about 4 out of 5 days a week. There always seems to be one day a week where nothing goes right, and it just kicks me square in the balls. It's fun the rest of the days though.

JLanphear
05-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm currently unemployed. I quit my job (that I had been at 10 years), back in November. I haven't worked since, and cannot get unemployment since I quit. Looking back I'm still not sure if it was a mistake or not. I probably should have dealt with it for a bit longer and looked for another job at the same time, but I was literally at the breaking point. I feel bad that I gave up a good paying job, when so many other people are in dire need of one, but like I said...I really couldn't take another day.

I have applied to several jobs, and haven't really heard much back from many of them. In fact, tomorrow is my first actual "in-person" interview.

We'll see how that goes.

buck440
05-11-2010, 04:13 PM
i can honestly say my job make me so beyond depressed i just go in zombie mode so i don't feel anymore. get up at 4am "work" till 4pm shower got to bed at 6 just so i don't have to stay awake to think about what a ****ty day it will be the next day, and repeat. i always think of creative ways "accidents" can happen to my boss who is always around, one day. let's just say i'm waiting to hit the lottery or die, lottery isn't looking so good. the only thing i have in life is my bike, so when it's running it kinda balances things out to make it tolerable, ****. i hate my job.

JLanphear
05-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by buck440
i can honestly say my job make me so beyond depressed i just go in zombie mode so i don't feel anymore. get up at 4am "work" till 4pm shower got to bed at 6 just so i don't have to stay awake to think about what a ****ty day it will be the next day, and repeat. i always think of creative ways "accidents" can happen to my boss who is always around, one day. let's just say i'm waiting to hit the lottery or die, lottery isn't looking so good. the only thing i have in life is my bike, so when it's running it kinda balances things out to make it tolerable, ****. i hate my job.

That is about the same way I felt about mine. Find something else man, life is too short for that crap.

Everybody told me I'd miss mine if I quit....I don't even have a paycheck coming in each week and I still don't miss it one bit.

QuadJunkies
05-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by juice420
I know times are rough right now, and I'm very thankful to be working but, how many of us actually enjoy our jobs? I like mine some days and some days I would rather not be there. I'm a loader at R+L Carriers, it's crossdock and fairly easy work but after 6 1/2 years its pretty boring!! So, everyone's thoughts?
MY old man works for R&L too as a driver. ITs not so much that he LIKES it, but it pays well and he doesnt have t oreally deal with too many people so its kinda like working for yourself.

Do I like my job?? I freakin HATE IT. Am I thankful ?? At this point.. not too much as Im barely working ANY hours anymore after 16 long crappy years . I spend a hour and 10 minutes commuting everyday to work part time .Im mainly there for my benefits right now and thats about it .
Thats how they take care of there loyal long term employees. Im searchng very hard to get out and into some thing more rewarding . I guess you can say Im like so many others that are going threw the game of CUT THROAT.
If it burned down in the middle of the night.....

Ill bring the marshmellows .:D

Can you sense some anger ? :o LOL!

QuadJunkies
05-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by JLanphear
I'm currently unemployed. I quit my job (that I had been at 10 years), back in November. I haven't worked since, and cannot get unemployment since I quit. Looking back I'm still not sure if it was a mistake or not. I probably should have dealt with it for a bit longer and looked for another job at the same time, but I was literally at the breaking point. I feel bad that I gave up a good paying job, when so many other people are in dire need of one, but like I said...I really couldn't take another day.

I have applied to several jobs, and haven't really heard much back from many of them. In fact, tomorrow is my first actual "in-person" interview.

We'll see how that goes.

Man you sound like me ! Ive been very miserable at mine too. I feel like I work inside a prison. The work morale is very low, which doesnt help any. Im soooo burned out so that doesnt help either. I have a family and insurance, so thats the only reason I stay. That and they work with my schedule to travel-thats the toughy !

Good luck to you! Ive been going threw the same here ... I have a follow up Interview soon, just dot know when. I just hope I get it so I can tell the boss to piss up a rope :devil:

05-11-2010, 05:18 PM
i must say i love my job. good pay,i work with a bunch of guys i get along with great. My boss is cool and laid back. I install granite countertops and we have a contract with lowes so we do a good 3 kitchens a day. The lifting kills me though.

wvspeedfreak
05-11-2010, 05:26 PM
My job (mechanic) is pretty good.It is close to home and I have alot of flexibility to do what I want so that means alot.Of course there are days I think about quitting but all in all I have it made pretty good where I am at.
The thing I think about alot is the fact that I have done the same thing for a long time.There are times I am very close to switching to a totally different line of work just to do something else for a while.

muddy400EX
05-11-2010, 06:01 PM

damn sounds like me

slightlybent47
05-11-2010, 06:11 PM
These days I don’t say I have to go to work tomorow anymore. I now say…… at least I get to go to work tomorrow.

be thankfull you have a job.

Trxracr
05-11-2010, 06:49 PM
i work for a local custom harvesting operation drivin big John Deeres during the sunny months it aint to bad i get along with all the guys but during fall harbest workin 80+ hr weeks aint nothin.....it gets tirin but then in the winter im pretty much laid off but cant get unemployment cuz they pay cash

Tommy Warren
05-11-2010, 07:17 PM
love my job....good pay, its something different every day, laid back co-workers, get to drive big machinery and trucks, and I eat at a different place every day:cool:

born2ride14
05-11-2010, 08:00 PM
I love my job, but i started two weeks ago, and i only work saturdays helping the parts counter, so 2 days of work so far, but it is just so awsome to be around all the bikes and stuff

honda400ex2003
05-11-2010, 08:12 PM
I like my summer job i guess. I work for michigan tech at a carbine dioxide tree farm. It is different for sure, I just mow and take care of the site.

http://www.mtu.edu/news/stories/2010/march/story23934.html

this is the link for what we do if anyone is interested. steve

quadracer707
05-11-2010, 08:29 PM
self employed, own a restaurant & manufacture our own ice cream for the restaurant & wholesaling, Who doesnt like ice cream. Self employment is nice, but the pressure & stress can lead you to many other problems. Although i couldn't imagine doing any thing else or work for anyone, 25years of this

Ken

Aarons 01 400EX
05-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I love my job. I'm a health and P.E. teacher. I have one class inside and the rest of the day I get to play sports with my kids.

CJM
05-11-2010, 10:23 PM
I dont hate my job, but im sick and tired of it.

I work for an AAA roadside service contractor. We basically work for AAA doing things like jumpstarts, changing tires, unlocking cars and what I dread-selling the stupid AAA car batteries to people.

Im sick and tired of pushing these things, I understand thats the ultimate goal but people dont have money for them anymore or have a warranty with thiers somewhere else.

My boss is o, but by now all he does is yell or demean me (sucks working for a friend), and due to other workers incompetence I usually am backed into a wall covering a shift. Weekends suck, I rather have freetime than the money.

I guess I should be lucky I have a job. Was gonna try and go to work for a hardscaper/landscaper but it didnt work out.

I shoulda just stuck to being a mechanic, but even that sucks.

I am pursuing a degree, so hopefully Ill finish it and get a real job.

SRH
05-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by quadracer707
self employed, own a restaurant & manufacture our own ice cream for the restaurant & wholesaling, Who doesnt like ice cream. Self employment is nice, but the pressure & stress can lead you to many other problems. Although i couldn't imagine doing any thing else or work for anyone, 25years of this

Ken

i agree with you on self employment...its the way to go

i worked construction prior...somedays when i got out of my truck i felt like screaming...i should of quit then...id welcome the pressure and stress of self employment over the aggravation and monotonious routine of a 9-5...your life is your work i cant see spending mine doing something i dont enjoy

yfzrider690
05-11-2010, 11:10 PM
I love my job. I work at Boeing and I am a inspector on the 737. I get paid good, have awesome benefits for me and my whole family for free and I have a great retirement and pension plan. The only thing I don't like is working second shift. Oh well I'm thankful to have a good job in this economy and it pays for all my toys so I can't really complain about much.

MN Quad RacR
05-11-2010, 11:51 PM
For me I'm happy that I'm in the marine corps, the only bad thing is I'm away from family and I can only ride when I go home a few days a year

miller821
05-12-2010, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
I +ucking hate my job. But at the same time I'm happy to have a job. Some times I think I should quit just to push myself to find another job. Finding a new job takes effort. I'll probably stay with my job until I get out of college for the fact that I get health insurance for $85 a month. Anyone know where you can get health insurance cheaper? lol

$4 a week for me!:p

dan harris
05-12-2010, 05:49 AM
Of course I LOVE MY JOB, owning and operating the Proving Grounds!!! Totally a Dream Come True !!! Not trying to rub it in, just want people to know sometimes you gotta take chances and chase your dreams.

Before the Proving Grounds I owned a Lawn Care Business (Dan's Lawn Services Inc). It paid well and was a good business, but I couldn't stop thinking how great it would be to work in my sport/hobby. It was a big step closing one business and opening another, and I went through some really tough times. Especially when the park was shut down for two years!!! But in the end I'm doing something I totally love, actually can't wait to get up in the morning and get to work!! Its a great feeling and I encourage others to find their passion and make a go of it!

We are fotunate to live in a great country where anyone can own their own business.

400exrider69
05-12-2010, 02:26 PM
i'm 16 and i'm working for one of my dad's best friends when he was a kid. Who's also our neighbor doing septics ditching tile construction @10 hr. I enjoy it hard work and yelling once in a while it's better than my last job. I worked for an older couple on a junk farm repairing fence with used barbed wire that expoled when i was putting it up. Got nice scars from that. Crazy people had me up 15ft on a backhoe in the wind before storm cutting tree's :mad: :mad: and got nailed in head with one. That afternoon was about a fist fight and i never showed back up. I LOVE my job i have now

juice420
05-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
MY old man works for R&L too as a driver. ITs not so much that he LIKES it, but it pays well and he doesnt have t oreally deal with too many people so its kinda like working for yourself.

Do I like my job?? I freakin HATE IT. Am I thankful ?? At this point.. not too much as Im barely working ANY hours anymore after 16 long crappy years . I spend a hour and 10 minutes commuting everyday to work part time .Im mainly there for my benefits right now and thats about it .
Thats how they take care of there loyal long term employees. Im searchng very hard to get out and into some thing more rewarding . I guess you can say Im like so many others that are going threw the game of CUT THROAT.
If it burned down in the middle of the night.....

Ill bring the marshmellows .:D

Can you sense some anger ? :o LOL!

Which terminal does he drive for, I might load his trailer!!!!

fastredrider44
05-12-2010, 03:02 PM
It's a love hate thing here. I work for my dad as a Sub-contractor, so that I'm legally self employed. He started this sign business about ten years before I was born, so I literally grew up working here. I have been a full time employee since I was 14, while being a full time High School and College student. and part time since I was old enough to hold a broom. He's at the age where he wants to hand the bus. over to me and kinda work when he wants to work. The pressures I deal with working with some of the people I do makes my head want to explode. On the other hand, after hours when the phone stops ringing and I can actually get something done without interruption, I actually like it.

I have had other jobs along the way, but I haven't found anything that would make me want to leave here.

QuadJunkies
05-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Which terminal does he drive for, I might load his trailer!!!!

We live in Idaho so I dont think so .;)

MO-EX-RIDER
05-12-2010, 07:02 PM
my job blows, but thankful i have one, after selling outdoor power equipment 6 days a week and minimum 10 hour days plus an hour commute each way has gotten old and i have only been doing it for 2 1/2 years! i have decided that the retail business has wore me out and i have started applying for other openings available as of yesterday:D

88redrocket
05-12-2010, 07:26 PM
I like my job most days.... I secure foreclosed houses for the bank. I never know what I'm gonna find inside.

05-12-2010, 07:27 PM
I work at a golf course. I get paid minimum wage which sucks but its a job. Then on my own time I mow lawns and clean pools. I'm probably somewhere around $700 a month working 3 days a week. It sucks but w/e its better than nothing. I might startworking 5 days a week so I'll probably be making around $1000 a month. Still not where I want to be making like $50 a day when I work.

Quad18star
05-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Powersports industry rocks !!!!!;)

250x_kyle
05-12-2010, 09:03 PM
build pools fun crew to work with. flip sign for pendot for 11.32 and hour as an internship not the funnest thing but the pays good. and run coal truck from one side of a mine to stock pile for 10 an hour under the table wich is a blast.

j_cyrus3
05-12-2010, 10:29 PM
I work at the county jail as a corrections officer... It's a love hate relationship. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. I try to stay in central control that way all I have to do is sit at a computer and open doors.

The only thing I really just can't stand about my job is the fear of hep c or something like that.

I love the schedule though, 7 days on (12 hour shifts) 7 days off :)

juice420
05-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
We live in Idaho so I dont think so .;)
Yeh I see you live in Idaho, but if he drives linehaul he might come to Michigan, and I load freight that goes to the terminal in Boise.

feuerstack411
05-13-2010, 03:09 AM
Right now I unload trucks at Lowe's.
Its alright, all the people I work with are cool, it's almost fun.
I'm also technically a "full time student" but i don't know how long thats going to last.

krt400ex
05-13-2010, 04:40 AM
i'm working two jobs right now. i'm working the overnights at quick chek as a gas attendant, and i'm doing landscape a few days out of the week during the day. its not hard work, but its tedious and tiring. no i dont enjoy my job lol, but it brings in the money so i try not to complain

jetblue22
05-13-2010, 07:04 AM
I am an Airline Mechanic a commuter, and have been doin it for 8 years. I LOVE IT!!!! I'm pretty much doin the same job as I was in 1979 when I first joined "The Air Force". At first I dealt with 1 or 2 knuckleheads now, its 2 pilots and 3 flight attendants and 150 passengers!!!! Its great being paid well and loving what you do especially at 48 years old.. My advise if your young enough,join the military and learn a trade you can use after 4 or 6 years then get out of active duty join the RESERVES and stay in for 20! Its not hard just find a trade you REALLY enjoy!!!! OOOHH commuting sucks, BUT its an hour flight from PHX to Long Beach and jetBlue is an awesome company!!!!!!:)

tinner
05-13-2010, 11:07 AM
I am pursuing my goal of early retirement. It's not working that well. Economy hit here, things are sparse.

destey
05-13-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm Quality Control for an outdoor power equipment mfg. Its a little sad considering i have a degree in computer science and should be c++ programming, but i surf the internet and bs with people for like 6/8 hrs so it makes up for only making $30k/yr.

then again I'm wasting away, i couldn't get a programming job now if I wanted one because of deteriorating skills and an industry that's always advancing. I guess its just whatever you want out of life.

buddy willard
05-13-2010, 05:55 PM
i like my job. but the boss is a di_k

CRE Performance
05-13-2010, 06:29 PM
I teach high school Motorcycle/ATV technology. My program is #1 in the state and southeast area. Complete with an ATV dyno, cool Snap-On tools, and a nice sized shop. Yes, I love it. Every day. I love the students, the atmosphere, and the curriculum.

Best of all, thats what I like about those high school girls...I get older, they stay the same age...:D

ZeroLogic
05-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Full time self employed carpenter, and part time wood worker. The economy sure has put a hurtin on the trade though. But it has its ups and downs just like every other job. Wish I was workin more.:ermm:

Raptorchick
05-13-2010, 09:19 PM
I had worked in corporate communications for seven years for one of the largest health insurance companies in the country, and hated every minute of it. I hated the work, I hated my boss, and he didn't like me very much either. I swear that job seemed like it was sucking the life out of me. There were times that I would actually hope that I would get in a car accident on the way to work, just so I wouldn't have to go in that day. Pretty pathetic, huh?

When I got laid off from there six years ago, it felt more like a relief than anything, and was a blessing in disguise. Sure I missed the nice paychecks, but it gave me the time to pursue my career as a journalist; something I had always wanted to do.

I have been working for ATVRiders.com steadily for about 3 1/2 years now and couldn't be happier. Harlen is a great boss and an even better friend, which is something I never thought I would be able to say about any boss.

Like with any job, I've had to make some sacrifices, like working just about every weekend during race season, and having some tight deadlines, but I feel very fortunate to have been able to take something I truly love doing and turn it into a career.

Tommy Warren
05-13-2010, 09:29 PM
what is minimum wage in the states? is it different in each state? in ontario its 10.25 an hour....

yfzrider690
05-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
what is minimum wage in the states? is it different in each state? in ontario its 10.25 an hour....

I live in washington state and it's 8.55 an hour.

Tommy Warren
05-13-2010, 09:48 PM
WOW hasn't been that low in years over here....I couldn't live off of that

250xridamatt
05-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Minimum wage is only $7.50 in Indiana.

I got a paid internship for the summer at Medical Protective. It is one of the largest Medical Malpractice Insurance company in the states. I start Monday and I'm really looking forward to it. The experience should be great, plus it pays really well.

buck440
05-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren

damner, that's pretty good

juice420
05-15-2010, 01:47 AM
damner, that's pretty good
Yeh but Canada's currency isn't worth as much as the U.S. currency. Their 10.25 is like our 7.50.

destey
05-15-2010, 06:10 AM
Yeh but Canada's currency isn't worth as much as the U.S. currency. Their 10.25 is like our 7.50.

Canadian currency is 0.94-0.98 cents CAD to every 1 USD. It used to be the other way, 0.70 USD to every 1 CAD.

The American dollar has slipped 80% in the last few years against gold. Which throughout history has remained about the same value. If the american dollar goes up to 1200/oz, its the american dollar that is falling. The only reason the american dollar hasn't fallen more against most currencies is we have a strong military, most strong companies are based here, and its still the least socialist place in the world. But with trillions spent on money they didn't have, its only a matter of time before the 8% of GDP the interest on the debt has reached catches up to us. By CBO's own estimates we'll hit 18% of GDP by 2018 and 20% by 2020. We are scheduled to lose tripple A credit rating by Moody's around 2013. As America moves closer to default...

Just be careful you don't end up being a bagholder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagholder) for your investments or even property as it all collapses as i predict.

sunco
05-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Scro
I'm a cartographer. I enjoy mine about 4 out of 5 days a week. There always seems to be one day a week where nothing goes right, and it just kicks me square in the balls. It's fun the rest of the days though.

So one day a week u have sponge bob balls :confused: :blah:

sunco
05-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Full time self employed carpenter, and part time wood worker. The economy sure has put a hurtin on the trade though. But it has its ups and downs just like every other job. Wish I was workin more.:ermm:

Me to carpenter by trade - "The Window Experts" I advertise under repairs so I don't complete w/ the lumber yards for space in the phone book.

Do as little as possible for the most amount of money is how I roll :D

In God we trust - all others pay cash :devil:

I like my job, but I to can complain about it like everyone else. Most of the time I chose not to........ whats the point ? Just do what u can & call it a day.