PDA

View Full Version : Loretta's and our TN floods

Coley'sdad#8
05-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Guy's I will tell you we have had a busy week trying to get the steel shop back in operation after the 16" of rain and floods that washed out our road, ran 2" of water through our shop, logs, trash ect. but that can all be fixed / replaced. I had to go look at a job over near Loretta's today (some of you know I live like 20 min. from there) just to see what kind of damage they got because the same creek goes through my property only about 15 miles earlier. The water main @ the office *" forced main is broken to the interstate and they have temporary fire hoses next to the road. The water was running off the mountain so hard that it filled the pool with trash, rocks ect, the wall next to the starting line / mechanics area is in the trees at the lower campground (right where marc Smith was camped), all the small foot bridges and docks are at the lower end also. the low spot that is before you go up the main road hill like your going to the the main house to the right there is about a 4" high gravel bar now, go over the hill and directly in front of the pond next to the main house the road is GONE for about 80 yards and is about 10 ft deep, there were 3 d-8's there working today. I didn't see my friend Allen Brutto that manages the grounds but I am sure him and his crew will have it all spiffied up for the races, the campground will have a few less trees though. Oh yeah just to put the depth of the water in perspective the ANTHILL on the track had cornstalks washed up to within 2ft of the top of it:huh :eek: :eek:
a few of the metal storage trailers were washed out into the trees as well:eek:

Logan #34's Dad
05-20-2010, 04:53 AM
I found some pics from the floods.
http://www.lorettalynnfan.com/hurricanemillstn.htm

Question is: Will we be racing there in August?

Note: The one pic w the building to the left side of the picture and the flags is the start and where the podium is usually at! Oh boy!

Coley'sdad#8
05-20-2010, 05:25 AM
Rocky, I am thinking those pictures were taken before the 2nd band of rains came in making the water even higher. I went out after the first bands tapered off (the eye of the storm )and took pic's at the house of high water, went in cooked breakfast and Coley was play by playing the rain from the front bay window "wow daddy it is over our bridge and over the telephone pod box". Yeah Yeah Yeah I says, so finally I looked and he wasn't kidding, I made wifey finish breakfast and out to work I went. Building temporary water dams around the shops, my boat was about 4" from floating on the trailer in the other barn, moved all the 4 wheelers and toys to high ground in horse stalls, water was running off mountain and hitting the back of the 2 story brick house soooo hard (and about 8" deep) I thought it was going to blow in basement walls. Had to go get loader out of shop and cut ditch around back and side of house for relief, rebuilt our 1 mile long driveway, bridge abutments ect. it wasn't fun. As for loretta's being up and running I would bet my front teef on it, the motorcycle nationals are just before the atv's and these are the single most largest magnet this county has all year and creates large large revenue locally. Loretta's , AMA, Racer Productions nor the County wants to see it pass so I would say the funds and resources are there to make it work out.
:rolleyes:

Logan #34's Dad
05-20-2010, 08:37 AM
All I can say is WOW!
I feel bad for you guys. you may have mentioned it but, did Loretta's model home, post office and museum make it?
I'm sure they will get everything squared away for the bikes and the quads. Too much revenue for those couple of weeks.