PDA

View Full Version : what to buy with my money...

woodsracer144
05-11-2010, 10:09 AM
ok so im done with high school in a grand total of 7 days... I drive a 93 ford ranger with the 4.0 auto, i wish it was a stick but my mom drive its alot to and she couldnt drive a stick. anyways i have some money saved up and i would like a different truck but I'm kinda worried about how things will be in the ECO this summer... I have a solid job that im not going to loose and im making money, i could afford payments from a loan but i would rather not have a loan. the truck i want to buy is a 86 frod F350 Crew cab with a 5.9 cummins in it with other bells on it too. its my cousins and he said i could have it for 4500.. that truck is my dream truck and its done right... i just dont want to buy it and then not be able to keep it cause he wont sell it to anyone else.

opt # 2 is buy another ranger, its a 94 wit hteh 4.0 and 5 speed, same thing as my truck just a year newer and stick. theres a little body damage to it but i dont really care casue i would build a prerunner out of it. i would start with the body ( fiber glass fenders and such) and then move to susp. and then the roll cage in the cab and then motor. the guy wants 1300 for this ranger and i about 5 hours away... at least...

Im just not sure where to put my money or what to do. I went to tech this year cause i only needed one class at HS but i know how rough people are on there cars and trucks in the parking lots. i think if i got that cummins i would keep the ranger and let it be as a running truck or let my mom drive it cause she likes it cause its small and 4x4.

Its not that i need something else, i just would like to have a nice truck with some of the hard earned money i've worked for. i'm thinkin about selling some of my quads cause i dont have anyone to really ride with anymore.

so what are you thoughts? i also have a 84 ford ranger that if i sold my 93 i would put a little 2.3 in it.

those are my thoughts what do you think?

bradley300
05-11-2010, 10:19 AM
if your worried about the eco, why not save your money? sure its probably burning a hole in your pocket and you found something big that you want, but do you really need it? keep saving, by the time your worries over the eco go away, you'll be able to afford buying an even nicer truck, and you wont be worrying about it.

ps, i wish i could have heeded my own advice when i was your age

Scro
05-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
if your worried about the eco, why not save your money? sure its probably burning a hole in your pocket and you found something big that you want, but do you really need it? keep saving, by the time your worries over the eco go away, you'll be able to afford buying an even nicer truck, and you wont be worrying about it.

x2 I wish I would have just kept the vehicle I started out with. Paid for in full and got me from point A to point B. But I had to have something better. Here I am 10 years and 8 trucks later, having paid over 10 grand in interest, still only driving a "decent" vehicle. If I had kept that first vehicle, and saved the money I have put into different trucks, I could have a paid for brand new vehicle now.

Vehicles are some of the worst investments you will make over your life. Everytime that odometer clicks over, you are just throwing more and more money out the window. It just makes sense to keep one, and drive it until the wheels fall off.

woodsracer144
05-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by bradley300

yeah i know i should save, this is gonna sound really dumb but im kind of working on a house at the moment too. its my grandmas and its a old farm house with a old barn, im going to go for welding and mechine tooling and that barn would be a perfect shop. I'm talking with my mom about it i just have to talk to my grand ma now, i want to start it with renting it and just taking care of it and then move from there. gram is getting old and shes gonna move in an assisted living place.

I know that is alot of money im talking about (190K is what my mom thinks she wants but says its only worth 130K) but thats not my main focus. if i can get it and work a deal out i will if i cant then oh well. Im going to be selling some atv stuff for sure though. i have way too many parts from ex quads that i done need anymore. Im also going to start working a second job ( I work nights milking cows and then field work on the side)

I know it may sound like im talking out of my *** cause 130K and then the truck and all that is alot of money but im thinking about a nicer rig right now...

Quad18star
05-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Let's see .... the price of fuel is starting to go up , and reports say by the summer it will be through the roof ... and now you're wanting an F350 with a large engine.

Step back and take a look at the big picture. Do you really need such a large truck or is it just overkill for nothing? Are you prepared to spend $$ on regular maintenance of a 1 ton?

I was once in your shoes ... comming out of highschool all gungho about buying the biggest truck I could find with the money I had saved up. Big mistake .... I was going pay to pay only able to afford putting fuel in it , which left me with no money for anything else and that wasn't even with a big truck.

Play it smart ... put the money aside. Are you not planning on going to college? Invest your money ... allow your money to make money... rather than buy something or spend money on something that will only depreciate in value.

Money loves to burn holes in pockets.

bradley300
05-11-2010, 10:36 AM
unless your truck truly isnt big enuff to handle the jobs you throw at it, or cant get you to work and back reliably, you really have no reason to get rid of it unless you want to. "want to" is an excuse that reqires no reasonable thought, and can cost you a ton of money

gncc025
05-11-2010, 10:47 AM
i agree keep your vehicle if any way possible. i have had a 92 extended cab chevrolet truck and a 91 corsica i have been driving since high school and it has saved me over 10 grand. you will be happy in the long run believe me.

Scottt89
05-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Keep the truck. I had a good paying job @ 19, I totaled my first car and decided I would buy a nice new vehicle. So with a work discount I got a new 04 F150 Crewcab Lariat. I JUST paid it off. Think long and hard about a loan. While it may not seem like that big of a deal, $415 a month for 5.5yrs is a long time. I can't believe how much I matured in the gap from 19-25. You also mentioned a home. I have near perfect credit and I am looking into buying a home. @ 200k borrowed I was looking at $1400 a month. If you have nothing down and say you pay 170k for the house that your Grandmother wants 190k for, you are still looking at around $1200 with a awesome credit. Remember, on most home loans, you are looking at about $100 off for every $10,000 you put down compared to most ATV's and cars where it's like $20 for every $1000.

Wow, I feel like an old man, but just ask yourself and crunch some #'s. Are you ready for a $100-400 vehicle payment, $1000 house bill, $100-200 in groceries, $40-100 cell phone, $200 insurance on vehicle, Tags on a 1ton vehicle.......

Jake250ex
05-11-2010, 11:10 AM
ahhh man i wish i could go back in time i'd be in your shoes. whatever i had i wasnt satisfied with it. sold my first car, a 87 monte carlo SS that was mint cause it wasnt new enough. got a 95 F150, also mint. Tore it to hell cause it wasnt fast enough. Got a old beat up silverado. Sold it cause it wasnt nice enough. Got a 94 Z28 that was spotless with low miles. Sold it for money to put into a quad that i got rid of :rolleyes:

now, i have a single cab short bed 01 mazda b2300 with a salvage title. guess what? I love it! ball frostin ac, killer heat, 28mpg, its reliable and takes me, my quad and my buddies anywhere we wanna go.

catch my drift?

CJM
05-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Keep the ranger, if you need a bigger truck later then buy it.

I went from a 93 camry that I put about 700 into and the trans finally was going, sold for 2500. Then I bought my grandfathers 92 F250, wished it was 4wd and got into an accident and had an electrical short, sold for like 1500, then I bought a toyota pick up and it ruine dit by going offroad. It vibrates going down the road now despite me dumping close to 3k into it.

Now I also have a ford taurus that i got for free that still needs some brake down (its been sitting). Now I might be buying an 01 F150 for like 6k that needs minor work.

I also am spending about 500 on my quad doing a whole new topend and boring, HD studs, etc.

I have wasted tons of cash, seems no matter what I do I cant stop spending it. I dont owe any money either, but keep on needing junk. If not my vehicles than the quad (need skids badly tho).

I faced the facts:
1. Dump the toyota that I ruined and by the F150 with a small loan and PAY IT OFF ASAP.
2. Keep the taurus so I have something fuel efficient maybe or sell it for 800.
3. Fix the quad and unless something breaks leave it the hell alone till I have some cash to complete it the way I want.
4. Stop buying crap and save money! I just made a valve spring compressor from spare junk instead of buying one for 50 bucks!.

Real advice: keep the truck and slowly save for another one till you either have the full amount of only have to take out a loan for elss than 5-8k. Dont buy the house, yes it would be an awesome shop-but you cant afford it. Go get your certs and become a welder and do well, then buy something.

fastredrider44
05-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Strike me up for another one saying to keep your money and keep your truck. I bought a truck at 18 and hated those payments very quickly. I still have the truck, and now that it's paid off, I'm keeping it and not going back into debt for anything else till I get a house. As far as toys and trucks go, if I can't buy it in cash, I don't need it.:macho

smr
05-11-2010, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Quad18star
[B]Let's see .... the price of fuel is starting to go up , and reports say by the summer it will be through the roof ... and now you're wanting an F350 with a large engine.

I would bet you money my cummins gets better fuel millage than a 93 ford ranger. Lots of people think those trucks get great fuel millage when in fact they only get around 20mpg. I have owned them all and none of those trucks are gonna do any better (ford, chevy, toyota and nissan) than the low 20s. I can beat that with my commins hauling a quad in the back.

let's not get into maintenance, Even though they are less fregent with the diese, it's still 3.5 gallons compared to 1.4 gallons.

Now with that said, why are you worried about keeping the truck. If your paying cash for it then I don't see why you would loose it.

I say, you only live once, don't over do it but that truck will last you a lot longer than that ford ranger.

woodsracer144
05-11-2010, 09:18 PM
I dont what to get what i want and then no afford to keep it (fuel keeping it up) since its all mechanical i would do almost all the work my self. I do most the work to my ranger and i do all the work but when it comes to shock work on my quad.

I know im really young and i know the house is a HUGE step. This is the only way that i would be able to afford it.

is if my gram lived there untill she passed or couldnt live there and had to move to an old folks home and i took care of the place, i would come over twice a week( i normally am over that much any way) and i would mow the lawn and keep the place up. in the winter i would plow snow and its on a long drive way so i have alot of snow to plow. and for doing that lower the price alittle, not saying 20 K but some.

after she would move out then i was thinking if just paid rent and then the money i paid on rent would go towards it to own the house needs a roof ( cingles) and its a 2 bed room 2 bath, washer dryer dish washer fairly nice size. I think its a ranch style. I think that if i paid like 750 or 800 a mth depending if i would have to pay for heat and all that cause if you get really deep in to it my aunts and uncles and dad own it, theres 8 kids.

SRH
05-11-2010, 10:57 PM
id take most of the advice in this thread, or if you must go buy some big truck...and then look back in 10 yrs and realize what a jackass move it was...and if in 10 yrs you look back and say that was a good idea...well hopefully in the next 10 yrs youve fixed the problem...some people never do

woodsracer144
05-12-2010, 07:44 AM
i dont know if most of you know that the big diesel would be taking the spot of my race quad i have, i would only have a 4x4 and a lt250r I would sell my 250r.

Its going to be hard to say no but i understand what you mean by save your money. I just thought that from working hard on farms since 6th grade when i was done with school i could but a nice truck...

trick450r
05-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Scro
Vehicles are some of the worst investments you will make over your life. Everytime that odometer clicks over, you are just throwing more and more money out the window. It just makes sense to keep one, and drive it until the wheels fall off.

I dont agree at all. If you buy smart and do your research you can not only make decent money but also get to own a bunch of fun cars. I've gone through 20 cars/trucks in 5 years and only lost money on 1 because I gave it to my best friend on payments and cut him an amazing deal. You just need to seek out the cars that have collector markets. In other words dont buy the ranger because every dime you put into it is going to waste. Buy the cummins because your getting an amazing deal that nobody else would and if you clean it up you own a truck worth $10k plus.

If your like me and you cant stand to let your hard earned money sit in a savings account earning no interest then you should start dabbling in small investments, cars got me started and I made a lot of money and drove some sick stuff.

With that said, if you don't have cash you cant afford it!!

woodsracer144
05-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I think i know what im going to do,

as of right now i milk cows 4 hours a shift and im getting about 8.50 with out taxes. im going to pick up a job at a lumber yard, its a branch off menards if anyone know them. and starting pay is like 10 bucks and then you can get up to 12 or 15 with benafits. along with other bonus. I would be a fork lift driver or else a truck driver that would take a load from one yard to another thats not very far away for holding or drying... Im not going to be getting in 1st semestar at college cause of the waiting list for welding and mechine tooling so i would be working full time.

Im going to talk with my grandma and see if i cant get a land contract. where i do all her yard work for her and she just has to take care of the house( in side cleaning what she can) and i would take care of everything else and she can live there as long as she wants, after she moves out then i just have to pay like a rent to own type deal so i dont have all the taxes from a morgage. after she passes then i would have to get a morgage or else just start a bank account for my dad and aunts and uncles that my rent would go in.

i talked with my one teacher about it and she said that buying is always better then rent if you can afford it cause its yours and your building your self, renting is pretty much throwing money away.

Its also a 2 bed room so i have a really good friend that i was thinking that i could rent the room out to and give him a good deal on it.

what do you think about that?

Scro
05-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by trick450r
I dont agree at all. If you buy smart and do your research you can not only make decent money but also get to own a bunch of fun cars. I've gone through 20 cars/trucks in 5 years and only lost money on 1 because I gave it to my best friend on payments and cut him an amazing deal. You just need to seek out the cars that have collector markets. In other words dont buy the ranger because every dime you put into it is going to waste. Buy the cummins because your getting an amazing deal that nobody else would and if you clean it up you own a truck worth $10k plus.

If your like me and you cant stand to let your hard earned money sit in a savings account earning no interest then you should start dabbling in small investments, cars got me started and I made a lot of money and drove some sick stuff.

With that said, if you don't have cash you cant afford it!!

Yeah, of course, they can be good investments if you are flipping them and making money off each one. If you're only keeping a car for 3 months and selling it for profit, you're not going to put many miles on it anyway.

woodsracer144
05-12-2010, 07:33 PM
im not gonna keep fliping. im going to get my next truck and drive it to the grave, i work on farm so a ranger cant always pull the job off...