PDA

View Full Version : Water in Airbox...

uplander56
05-11-2010, 09:51 AM
I think this might be my first post! I've been lurking for a couple years now.

Bought a 2001 440ex two years ago. Motor was junk. Quad was setup slightly for MX.... 18" rears, aftermarket swing arm, decent bars, ext., just a play toy.

Well, I sent the motor to C&G... now it's a 426, cam, crank, HD studs, ext., kinda outfitted for XC, harescrambles, trails, whatever.

Previous owner had taken the lid off the airbox and was running an outerwear.

Well, I rode Sunday for a couple hours, really the first time I rode it for an extended period of time... Ended up with water in the airbox. Noticed this of course, after it started sputtering a bit, bogging out like it was out of gas. Truth be told, it wasn't that muddy, just two spots on the trail that had a few inches of standing water.

What do you guys recommend? I know if I put a lid back on it, my problem will be solved with the water... but then i'll be diving into jetting and performance issues.

Maybe not? What have you guys done to modify your airbox lids to get plenty of air, but keep out the H2O?

Thanks - Randy

Scro
05-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Do you still have the drain plug in the bottom of the airbox? Taking this out will let any water drain out while riding. I've never had a problem with water causing issues unless this hole was clogged with mud or the plug was still in place. I run a UNI with no lid.

uplander56
05-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I was wondering that myself. LOL...

I'm going to check it out tonight, because I honestly don't know.

Thanks - Randy

jcs003
05-11-2010, 02:15 PM
try an outerwears airbox cover. it will flow good and keep some of the water out and mud wont make it through.

fromtheside88
05-11-2010, 06:42 PM
I have been runnin mine with 3 big holes in the top of mine i have never had a problem whatsoever and i ride a lot of trails especially after it raines and like i said no problems whatsoever