PDA

View Full Version : Car audio help

Hondamaster5505
05-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Alright here's the deal.

Right now, I just have a dynalab house speaker box in the back of the car. Now I know, I know, it sounds ghetto. But the box has twin 8's with a tweeter, and it's ported. It's hooked up to a phoenix gold amp bridged, and actually hits pretty hard and clean.

I do plan on upgrading soon though.

My dads buddy builds custom boxes and performs in stereo competitions, he knows his stuff. Im going to give him a few bucks to build me a custom box for my firebird.

I can't decide what to go wit... twin 12's, twin 10's, or 4 8's.

I'm really thinking of going with the 4 8" subs. I love how crisp the 8's are, and they seem to have a pretty good range.

I listen to virtually everything.. rock, rap, metal, hip-hop. So they need to be versatile for different kinds of music.

Should I have him build me the box for 4 8's, or something else?

thanks

honda250xrider
05-10-2010, 06:22 PM
i would get 2 12's. Reason being they will be able to hit low frequencies.

Before you get yourself anymore bass i would recommend upgrading your mid's and high's you will be thankful you did.

The 2 12's will be the best bang for the buck. If i remember right I had my sub cutoff at 80hz and then would roll over to the mid's.

fearlessfred
05-10-2010, 11:22 PM
i have a single 12 inch jbl sealed box in my 98 t/a and its plenty. i wouldnt go with the 8s cause u need something that will move the hair on the back of your neck

mineralgrey01gt
05-10-2010, 11:35 PM
2 12's sound much cleaner than any other sub IMO. Ive heard tons of different set ups over the years and 12's just sound so much better. If i had the room in my 06 crew cab id put them in there but I dont have much room at all and my amp and brain for my in dash is under the rear seat so I have 2 10's behind the rear seat.

juice420
05-11-2010, 01:42 AM
Well my first choice would be 2 15's, *(MTX 8100D's) but I guess if I didn't have the room I would go with 2 12's. Try and find some old Kicker Comp VR 12's those things pound hard for being 12's. Lol, I wouldn't even bother with some 8's they don't produce alot of low frequency, if your going to get some 8's you should just get a pair of mid-ranges and hook em' to a nice treble amp your getting damn near the same effect lol. When I was big into car audio I had 2 15" Kicker Comp VR's powered by a Precision Power 600 watt amp, 1/0 wire all around, Kenwood mid's powered by a Precision Power 400 watt amp, a big dog fuse block, and 2 big dog fuses,a Kenwood DVD/NAV head unit and 2 Optima yellow top batteries. It was loud:devil:

mxpimp2000
05-11-2010, 01:50 AM
my buddy had a 94 camaro and put a 12inch kicker solo baric in the back and had a box built to fit perfectly into the T-top compartment with the sub facing the hatch. OMG it was sooooo loud on any music u listen to. since then i have always been a kicker solo baric fan. i had 1 15inch L7 in my x-cab s10 with a 6ft cubic ft of air space. it took the whole x-cab but it was soo loud my roof would flex and the windshield would flex i loved it.

you can get a gain controller for the amp to adjust the gain when u want to really beat the world apart and adjust it for some rock or country music.

note: hatch cars and suv's are the loudest vehicles to put a system in.

KICKER SOLO BARIC FTW

pic of my x-cab s10 setup

honda250xrider
05-11-2010, 05:54 AM
The problem in my opinion is the kicker solo subs are for spl. For rap this would be ok but for all the different genre's of music i think there is a better choice.

He needs to look into a good sq sub. Remember a sealed box will be more crisp as to a ported box will yield high spl levels.

i would personally look into adire audio, There Brahma subwoofer was very good. Had great sq; Very comparable to the Jl W7 for alot better price.

Regular_Joe
05-11-2010, 08:21 AM
I agree with the 8's. It will be different and would be surprisingly loud if done right. I used to have a Ford Ranger with a pair of JL 8w3's and loved it. It was plenty loud and EXTREMELY accurate. I just got a SuperCrew F150 and put 10w3's in there since I thought I would need more with the bigger cab. Before my SuperCrew box and the 10's arrived I put my old subs lying on the rear seat in just for a test. I was really surprised. If I had to do it over I would do 4 of the 8w3's and a custom box over the 2 10w3's I ended up with.

fastredrider44
05-11-2010, 08:49 AM
There's a lot of variables that can affect the way they sound, so you need to talk to your dad's friend and let him recommend something to you. Just remember one thing, in sound equipment, you get what you pay for. :p

ssedwick
05-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Well first it depends on how much you are looking to spend. But if you listen to different genres of music, you are going to want to go with JBL, Memphis, or Hertz. Those are also in order of price lowest to highest. But go with at least 10s.

mineralgrey01gt
05-13-2010, 11:12 AM
i will admit ive heard 4 8's that slammed their living *** off but it will take a good bit of money to get them to do that. The 8's were DD audio's

Hondamaster5505
05-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks guys.

Yeah I have a while to think about it. I've heard twin 12's and twin 10's in my friends car before. I love them, but I also think 4 8's would kick damn hard. Idk.

05-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
i will admit ive heard 4 8's that slammed their living *** off but it will take a good bit of money to get them to do that. The 8's were DD audio's

The DD 9508's are bad *** speakers but you're also going to pay for them. I can't remember exactly but I believe they're $305 a pop. If you're going with 8's check out Sundown's new 8". I've heard they hit pretty hard when powered properly and they're right around $100 per speaker.