PDA

View Full Version : Ds450xc?

MrcsBud2
05-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi, I want to know a little about the 2010 ds450xc. I havent heard much on them but id love to.

First off i ride mostly desert and desert trail riding. Thats fast open space, sand washes, then it will switch to tight rocky trails.

How does the motor perform and what are some first go get mods?

Also how is the suspension?

The first thing i would get is a set of maxxis razrs to handle the rough desert

ragemachine
05-11-2010, 09:08 AM
wait in line! i ask the same question and got no real response. lol i race desert in so. cal.. wanted to know about ds 450. nothing. all i have seen is something about bad clutch, and overheating. still dont know anything about gearing, suspension, and the pink wire. if i hear anything i let you know

florentino
05-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by ragemachine
wait in line! i ask the same question and got no real response. lol i race desert in so. cal.. wanted to know about ds 450. nothing. all i have seen is something about bad clutch, and overheating. still dont know anything about gearing, suspension, and the pink wire. if i hear anything i let you know

the ds has the best stock gearing and suspension, and no rider fatige like the others its also real smoth.
yes pink wire is a must and a slip on.
the ds is better for trails and desert then mx.

ragemachine
05-11-2010, 08:30 PM
florentino, thanks for the info. is cutting the pink wire like putting the cherry bomb on the ltr? also after cutting the wire and putting a slip on, will it need to be re-programed? i heard the gearing is to tight for desert, more for mx.

ds450xracer
05-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Stock rear sprocket is 42 teeth so if your doing any fifth gear riding like I imagine you would in desert racing you will want to go to like a 38 in the rear cause you'll hit the rev limiter pretty easy in fifth and first gear is really short, The pink wire is made to be cut and run with a slip on so there is no need for a programmer, and I'm not sure how the cherry bomb for the ltr works but I know the pink wire on the Can Am was put there so it could pass the epa tests in stock trim.
I have never ridden an xc version but I race GNCC with the stock suspension from the 08 and its def one of the best stock suspensions
Hope that answers some of your questions.

ragemachine
05-12-2010, 08:23 AM
is their a recall on the clutch? or guys that race real hard burning them up. i really would only race it 1 or so a month, the rest of the time ride for fun. i saw this on another thread. again thanks for the help

TNT
05-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Yes there has been an ongoing problem with the clutch since the quad was released in 2008….There was an update to the # of clutch plates, hub depth, and cover (oil hole added) to get more oil, your dealer can pull up called 2009-9 that helped but did not fix the problem. The basket design has a groove that will break plates, when they break at such high revs and hit the basket wall it being a weak casting fails, and chunks of aluminum that are not eaten up by steel gears end up in the motor that can cause severe damage. The design does not care if you’re a rec rider or advance racer it can happen to anyone, a risk you choose to take or not.

Getting the update and a billet basket like most quads is the best solution. Hinson makes a good basket, as does BCS. I prefer BCS since they use steel bolts vs aluminum rivets to attach the steel gear to the basket, I just seen a guy shear off all the stock rivets by the steel gear this week. In addition, they reinforce the bolt holes by basket machined bosses. You can also send your updated hub to BCS and they drill holes to get more oil flow and do some fit machining. Also your cover needs an additional oil fogging hole to get more oil to plates per the update, they can drill that will save you the cost of buying the updated cover. All a wise move for any owner, trust me I thought when the 2009-9 came out fixed the issues but failed us and many others I have seen.

You check your engine # located bottom right by foot, if yours was built prior to whats noted on the bulletin you need the updated clutch or a new hub, cover, and additional plate. All 08's some early 09's.

Here is the thread you can read all about it: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=382686&perpage=10&highlight=20099&pagenumber=1
Sorry first sheet is not bigger.

Only other issue is we seen some frame failures in front there are fixes for, no biggie!

Desert racing mods hmmmm……

Fuel boiling an issue – CV4 makes a tank boot to keep engine heat away, a must in heat. Some have asked about bigger tanks don’t know of any OEM’s think they make their own.

Engine – stock lacks bottom end power and the motor is hard and costly to gain big power, but when you get it handles it excellent. New pipe, intake filter, cut the pink wire (yes like the cherry bomp) to gain more power and keep from going lean with a pipe and filter. HC 13.5 piston for a few hps, ports most epoxy down since they are too big. To gain more air flow bigger 50-52 mm throttle body, straighten out and smooth out the whole intake track, replace the intake duct with BRP metal or other, at that point BRP make a green next larger injector you need. Diehard desert racing imo PC 5 is a must they make an autotuner/02 sensor addition to close the EFI loop for optimum power and unsurpassed throttle response. BCS makes a robust cooling system to keep the temps down, it relocates the recovery tank which gets too much heat above the engine, removes the thermostat, reduces lines, adds an inline cooler, CV4 hoses.... They also offer a race harness that eliminates fuses and bs, if you want lights discuss it with them. They also offer a lot of good advice on how to make the quad run to your liking.

A "race" ECM eliminates the "limp mode" which can be annoying in xtreme heat...It's a protection mode in the ECM that keeps head gaskets, etc from blowing in the case of an over heat....with the BCS cooling system, louvers that protect the radiator from mud/build up(not sure you want this in desert there is a boot outerware werks makes I think other option, you may never see it and want to keep it depending on how hot you get. Again with it you limp home or barely get there without you blow an engine potentially, your choice.

Hopefully that answered some of both your questions.

florentino
05-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by ragemachine
florentino, thanks for the info. is cutting the pink wire like

putting the cherry bomb on the ltr/ yes but its free.

? also after cutting the wire and putting a slip on, will it need to be re-programed? not really unless its a full exaust maybe

i heard the gearing is to tight for desert, thats something you have to play with because of the tires and motor combo you have.

more for mx. i really like the stock gears all around for mx i have run 18 inch and 20 inch tires and i take off in 2nd gear and do really good on my holeshots.

as far as the motor goes keep it as simple as you can with just to bolt on things. if you open your motor will no longer be realiable.

most of the baja racers have low compresion pistons or stock.

p.s i wonder why the ds has not won the baja 1000?