PDA

View Full Version : Xr's only HRC Copy/GT Thunder/XR400

400exdad
11-27-2001, 06:27 PM
Does anyone have any thing good or bad to say about the XrsOnly HRC copy cam. I'm torn between that one, the stock XR400 and maybe the GT Thunder cam. HELP!! :huh

11-28-2001, 12:37 PM
Don't ya love these decisions we have to make to make our toys faster. I had the same question goin threw my head but had 4 cams to choose from,,,tc racing cam was the other. I chose the xr400 cam because it's a drop in honda part,,cheaper than the others,,Alot cheaper compared to some,,and heard lots of good things about it. I think the motor will last longer and work better with it over the others,,basically help the reliablity rate. I know all the others are good but I can't see spending $300 on a cam when I can get the xr400 cam for $120 and the difference in speed over the others is probably about the same as snapping your fingers. That's a $170 snap.:D IF all you were doin was buying a cam and that's it,,no other mods then maybe get the hardest hitting cam there is,,but for the same price you can get a high comp piston kit and cam,,so you get 2 bangs for $300. The worst thing about this also 400exdad is what comp piston to get since there's so many for the 416 kit,,,decisions,,decisions..:(

Smoker
11-28-2001, 02:22 PM
I know you can use stock rockers with the xr cam but do you have to (or recommend) install valve springs with it?

MR. HONDA EX'S
11-28-2001, 03:35 PM
Rico, Did you use the same rcokers that came stock in your bike?Or did you buy New stock rockers, and replace the old ones? If you used the old ones, I would get new ones. My Cuz ( yes him again) put the xr cam in with his old rockers. Need I say that they make more nosie then the pipe. He has trashed his rockers doing this. Because the new cam is trying to wear the old rockers and the rockers are trying to wear the cam in.

Blackguywithouta400
11-28-2001, 03:35 PM
What are our Piston Choices? I thought JE was the way to go or Ross Racing?

I just ordered my XR cam it should be here Friday, but ill wait until after new years to get the Piston:devil So what piston should i get?

11-28-2001, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by MR. HONDA EX'S
Rico, Did you use the same rcokers that came stock in your bike?Or did you buy New stock rockers, and replace the old ones? If you used the old ones, I would get new ones. My Cuz ( yes him again) put the xr cam in with his old rockers. Need I say that they make more nosie then the pipe. He has trashed his rockers doing this. Because the new cam is trying to wear the old rockers and the rockers are trying to wear the cam in.

Did he know what he was doin when he installed it?? being serious here,,,did he lube up the cam before he put it in..or just slapped it in there...I've not heard anyone complain about dropping in a XR cam.

400exdad
11-28-2001, 06:53 PM
Thanks Rico and everyone else. You are right: toooo many decisions! I was leaning toward the XR400 cam thinking the same as you: cost, honda part, drop in. Plus the fact that it may be a better cam for my use than say a "race" cam. I still don't have a highflow exhaust due to noise, so to be honest, I may not be able to benefit from an even bigger cam.

As far as the piston goes, I have put the JE 10.5 stock bore piston in my shopping cart at Marcums, so I'm just about the get that. Only problem, I'm pretty cheap, so I'll have to sneak up on my wallet and get the Visa card out before I know what happened!:D :D

Thanks, I think I have made up my mind.

11-29-2001, 06:57 AM
400exdad have you seen the articles on making the stock exhaust flow better but still keep noise down?? gabe a member out here has the 416 piston, xrcam, play porting and is running all stock exhaust....How about that,,,see your gonna spend the money after all. I beleive gabes name on here is 1986ATC250R,,he's got a webpage with details on how to modify the stock exhuast,,looks pretty dang easy too...ya might wanna look into that..;)

400exdad
11-29-2001, 07:20 AM
I saw a post on ATVConnection and e-mailed the guy. He had modified his stock exhaust and mentioned this guy you are talking about. Something about being in a yahoo club or group. I'll have to check into that. The guy told me how to do it, but a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks Rico

PS Now that I have gone back and re-read your post, I'm thinking the guy who e-mailed me and told me about this guy is gabe...

11-29-2001, 07:34 AM
Found it heres the link on what needs to be done....http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/exhaust/index.htm

400exdad
11-29-2001, 12:44 PM
Thanks Rico.

MR. HONDA EX'S
11-29-2001, 04:09 PM
Rico,
I was there when he put in the cam. It was all lubed up. His bike is a 99 so it has just a few yrs of abuse. He's now telling me that his adjuster lock nut on the rocker may be wore out. It won't hold, so the valve is alaways out of adjustment. I just think his rockers where just wore out to start with. He ran it tell the oil ring on the stock pistion broke. It used more oil in a 5 min period then my bike does when I did a oil change.

11-30-2001, 08:58 AM
That was my next question... How old was the bike,,,,mines a 2001 that really hasn't been rode that much,,so I think I'll be ok.

MR. HONDA EX'S
11-30-2001, 03:17 PM
RICO,

Have you installed your stuff yet? i.e Je pistion, cam. How do you like your JE pistion? I'm going to order the Je 416 pistion after the first of the yr. I just need to get the 300 painted and put back together. I just spent 360 bucks on motor parts today. And still have another 300+ bucks in stuff to get for it. Total rebuild ground up. Then I'll ply with the 400.:devil